Benford Fantail 38 resurrection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been busy at the beach and cooking grouper, snapper, lobster and conch :)
We're at Ocean Reef Yacht Club on Grand Bahama. Leave for the Abacos tomorrow to go up through the Grand Lucayan Canal and over to the Abacos then back here in January where we'll meet the kids and grandkids for a week.
82 degrees here today :)

Attachments

• IMG_5684.JPG
    IMG_5684.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5694.JPG
    IMG_5694.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5692.JPG
    IMG_5692.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Very nice! You catching all those fish or buying them?

Very nice! You catching all those fish or buying them?

The fish are easy although I was hoping for a mahi crossing the stream .... no such luck. The conch was an accidental find as they and the lobster are pretty well fished out here. I'm not good with the sling and I shot about eight rocks to get the two lobster for lunch.... still no complaints :) Saw three sharks today ( don't know what kind) one about 3' one about 5' and one about nine feet. Doesn't seem to bother the locals but I get to hell out of the water when they show up. So far the eagle ray bigger than my dinghy (9'6") has been the highlight.

So 29 degrees in Oriental, NC on Friday doest appeal to you?

Next year for me....October departure for sure!

We'll be waiting for you :)
Just checked the weather ..... going to be 82 today :)

Stop this please, stop this now! 10cm of snow yesterday here :banghead:

By the way, looked at your boat renovation pictures, nice job! What kind of windows did you use? I guess they were custom made?

Enjoy the wearther lucky you!

Lou

Stop this please, stop this now! 10cm of snow yesterday here :banghead:

By the way, looked at your boat renovation pictures, nice job! What kind of windows did you use? I guess they were custom made?

Enjoy the wearther lucky you!

Lou

Bomon Marine Windows in Laval QC. This is the third total rebuild I've done with Bomon. Product is excellent, customer servic is as it should be ..... terrific.

Snow Man made of sand was a nice touch!

Minus 10C here today and gravel casts a long shadow at mid day. Thought you might want to know that.

Bomon Marine Windows in Laval QC. This is the third total rebuild I've done with Bomon. Product is excellent, customer servic is as it should be ..... terrific.

oh ok I see, I have 2 Bomon sliding windows on my boat they look nice. I never dealed directly with them as I bought the boat like this but heard good things and I am living 15 minutes from them.

Snow Man made of sand was a nice touch!

Minus 10C here today and gravel casts a long shadow at mid day. Thought you might want to know that.

I am not the only one to suffer, this is comforting :D

Love the blog. You two are having all the fun.

Showed the blog to my lovely wife hoping to get her more excited about cruising.

Love the blog. You two are having all the fun.

Showed the blog to my lovely wife hoping to get her more excited about cruising.

I discovered the secret of life a long time ago .... marry your best friend.
Sounds like you are in the same boat :)

Yep. [emoji106][emoji106]

Tough day on the water ... eight lobster, one 8lb. hogfish, one 7lb. jack but a very large grouper took off with one of the spears.

Attachments

• IMG_5713.JPG
    IMG_5713.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 69
We all know that dealing with a 3rd world ( yes ! Bahamas is 3rd world) country is a little different and I usually take this stuff in stride but .... I must admit I'm loosing my patience. DHL has had my oar since last saturday. I won't go through all 20 emails or recount all 7 phone calls but I finally got a surprise response from them today .... Your oars are ready to be picked up"

Really!!!!! "weren't you paid to deliver them ? I don't have a car". They seemed surprised at my response and finally agreed to deliver them ..... I'll believe it when I see it, oh by the way they don't work weekends so it may be a few more days. Do not deal with DHL !

Last edited:
Delivery Hooligan of Last resort

Ted

But remember, it's warm and sunny. [emoji1][emoji1]

Over 400% in duty, VAT, customs processing fee, handling and clearance and a total of 22 emails and 8 phone calls.

Do not ever ship anything to the Bahamas !

The Bahamas gov't website says boat parts for a boat with a cruising permit are duty free. I am not the first to be taken. My dock neighbour was just taken last week for almost 3k on a 5k sail. They make this stuff up as they go along and ignore their own laws. Point this out to them at your peril.

My thanks to Julien Carussi, President of Highfield for coming through.

Last edited:
Left Toronto August 15th and have had avertually problem free trip, few niggly little things but nothing major ..... Merry Christmas Wallace :) My one year old alternator went up in smoke today so here we sit in Green Turtle Key waiting for the holidays to be over so I can find someone in Marsh Harbour to rebuild my alternator.

There are worse places to be stuck :)

Sharon and I wish all you and yours a safe and happy Christmas.

Merry Christmas y'all! Working on the boat in a beautiful location like GTC sounds like a good Christmas to me!

Left Green Turtle Cay and went down to Marsh Harbour where we ordered a new (5 wire) alternator Which arrived yesterday afternoon. Today we left for Treasure Cay and went for a swim, Tomorrow we head to Manjack cay as we work our way back to Lucaya for the kid's visit.

Note to self : Next year bring spare alternator, actually I could bring five of then for what one cost here ..... it's only money :)

You can order parts for a cruising boat with no import tarriff. It just has to be marked on the outside of the box for Vessel name and repair parts. I ordered a Charles charger shipped to Marsh Harbor. The added freight will be from Miami to Nassau and Nassau to Marsh Harbor. It was much cheaper that one purchased locally.

Edit: Wallace, just saw your post #229. What a bummer. I think they only got me for an extra unexpected $50.00 to get the UPS drop off point to release the package. I took the dinghy over to the Union Jack Dock to get the package. Of course, I had to pay a local boy to watch the dinghy with half payment when I returned.

Last edited:
You can order parts for a cruising boat with no import tarriff. It just has to be marked on the outside of the box for Vessel name and repair parts. I ordered a Charles charger shipped to Marsh Harbor. The added freight will be from Miami to Nassau and Nassau to Marsh Harbor. It was much cheaper that one purchased locally.

Edit: Wallace, just saw your post #229. What a bummer. I think they only got me for an extra unexpected $50.00 to get the UPS drop off point to release the package. I took the dinghy over to the Union Jack Dock to get the package. Of course, I had to pay a local boy to watch the dinghy with half payment when I returned.

They seem to make up rules as they go along, still it's worth it to us to be here. When Cuba opens up these guys are in for a shock. I've spent a lot of time in Cuba and those guys are "Capitalists" who know how to make a buck and value tourists and visitors. I can see a huge downturn in business here in the not too distant future.

Manjack Cay, turtles, sharks (no photos, too busy gettin' to hell out of the water), stingrays, beachcombing, swimming, Sharon

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Dirt Free Manjack.jpg
    Dirt Free Manjack.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 105
  • stingray.jpg
    stingray.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 93
You're a lucky man, Wallace! You really know how to have fun!

I look forward to crossing wakes someday!

Damn, you sure pulled in close to the beach! Nice!

Great photos. So neat to see a TF member enjoying a wonderful journey.

[Written while I'm sitting in an airport lounge, because I can't make it home, supposed to be trying to find a hotel online, because so many flights in Canada are delayed due to foul weather.]

Last edited:
You're a lucky man, Wallace! You really know how to have fun!

I look forward to crossing wakes someday!

We are a round bottom displacement hull ..... no wakes please :)
We have had the great fotune to meet several TF'rs on this trip and would love to share a beer with more ... You know where we are :)

Back
Top Bottom