Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
Many of those bar type wood clamps can be reversed to open instead of close. Consider trying that.
__________________
Advertisement

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #22
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
I think this is what you are looking for.
__________________

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #23
Guru
 
Shoalwaters's Avatar
 
City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Country: St. Lucia, West Indies
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 681
I dislike sticking a lever into some dark space to tension a belt. It is easy to lever against something fragile, or find you've lost the tension when everything is bolted up tight. I had never heard of a belt-jack before reading this thread, but it is an elegant idea and appealed strongly. My junk box yielded two scrap turnbuckles, each missing the left-hand threaded male part. I reamed the left-hand female thread out of one (red ring) and voila! It works like a charm. The pics tell the story. The little pieces of clear hose are enough to stop it slipping on the pulleys.

BTW: This discussion came a the right time. The belt in the pic was worn and making black dust. I have used my little "jack" to change belts on both engines. Can I hope that the black dusting will be reduced, or stop altogether?

Sorry RWidman, no patent infringement intended!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt-jack 1.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	30560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belt-jack 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	30561  
__________________
Mike
If all else fails, read the instructions
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #24
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,175
Very nice, SW! I'd call that reverse engineering!
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #25
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalwaters View Post
I dislike sticking a lever into some dark space to tension a belt. It is easy to lever against something fragile, or find you've lost the tension when everything is bolted up tight. I had never heard of a belt-jack before reading this thread, but it is an elegant idea and appealed strongly. My junk box yielded two scrap turnbuckles, each missing the left-hand threaded male part. I reamed the left-hand female thread out of one (red ring) and voila! It works like a charm. The pics tell the story. The little pieces of clear hose are enough to stop it slipping on the pulleys.

BTW: This discussion came a the right time. The belt in the pic was worn and making black dust. I have used my little "jack" to change belts on both engines. Can I hope that the black dusting will be reduced, or stop altogether?

Sorry RWidman, no patent infringement intended!
That's a nice job. Much better looking than mine. Mine does the job on my engine though.

I remember the day when cars and trucks used single belts and these tools were in every shade tree mechanic's tool box. They seem to be as rare as hen's teeth now. Modern vehicles use serpentine belts with their own tensioners.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
dach side's Avatar
 
City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 103
Bay view, that is exactly what I saw. Any idea where they're sold?
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #27
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dach side View Post
Bay view, that is exactly what I saw. Any idea where they're sold?
Post # 10
__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dach side View Post
Bay view, that is exactly what I saw. Any idea where they're sold?

I don't want to violate any rules by posting links but if you search for belt jack you will find it.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:32 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I don't want to violate any rules by posting links but if you search for belt jack you will find it.
Nothing wrong with posting links. It is done all the time.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
OK then, here is the link to one source for a belt jack

Belting Accessories | MSCDirect.com
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
MartySchwartz's Avatar
 
City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 236
Do a Google search for "belt tension jack" and/or "pulley spreader" and yu will find many sources.

Marty...........................

P.S. I personally like the idea of using a turn buckle for the attachement point, will be adding that next time I am in there.
__________________

MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012