Belt/Engine Driven Watermakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Hello Folks

Been away for a long time now cruising in the Brazilian Coast. I am now in the middle of my trip down to Argentina. Now I am on a dry dock for bottom paint and general repairs.
I heard about Belt/Engine driven watermakers, and would like to know if any of you have experience with this type of equipment.
Thank you for your input
Fernando Rodrigues

Attachments

• WatermakerA.jpg
    WatermakerA.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Watermaker.jpg
    Watermaker.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 74
I am happy to hear you are cruising. Salvador to Argentina, wow, that's a good trip!
Cumprimentos!

Yes. I put one on my Perkins 4108 generator in a stupid moment. Plus you have all the time making a mounting for the pump, finding a new crank pulley and stuffing it all into where the engine is. With an electric, it can be anywhere. The issue is to make water with an electric HP pump, the generator has a reasonable load with battery charging and house loads. But when just making water with an engine driven pump the generator is running fairly fast with a light load. Eventually leading to glazed cylinders. When I have a bunch of people on board the water use is high and I end up running the generator mostly for the pump. It was easier to balance the load with an electric pump. I'm going back to an electric pump. Actually I'm going to dump both my generators and get a Detroit 2-71, 1200 rpm, It can run under a light load forever.

Guys
Thank you all. Hi Steve. I am going down the coast slowly. I have time!
Lepke. I do have space in front of my engine and I also have an idle power intake in my ZF220W. My concerns are simplicity, efficiency and cost of maintenance.

Thank you guys

Look in the the classified on here. I have a 9+ gallon per hour 12 volt Little Wonder unit there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom