Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
I was aboard this boat today. Wow!

I can't speak for the asking price (less than the owner paid to build her), but this boat is just incredibly well done down to the most minute details. A real gem of a Downeast style yacht. Wish I were in this price league. Saw her several times as she was being built and afterwards. Owner has only used* her 50 hrs til he got too old and feeble to use her as well as getting a new woman who doesn't like boats. A real shame there as he is a real nice guy, was an avid yachtsman with a series of previous larger beautiful boats all named "Sea Toy" and a (now deceased) wife who loved boating as much as he. You have to see this boat to really appreciate the craftmanship. Overkill? Maybe.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in this boat other than being in madly in love with it.

"Sea Toy"
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: I was aboard this boat today. Wow!

The price is rediculous.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Absolutely beautiful!* My kind of boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

The boat is beautifully equipped and built and laid out but I find its exterior lines rather ugly for a lobsterboat-type design. Aesthetically the boat looks out of balance to me in terms of the cabin size and placement.* At first glance the photo of it underway looked to me like a home-built, backyard boat. Strictly from an exterior aesthetic point of view I'll take Carey's custom lobsterboat any day over "Sea Toy."

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 09:18:43 PM
Attached Thumbnails
happy destiny-012.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

I could never be serious with a girlfriend who did not like that boat!

Besides the Admiral would not let me.* JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Marin wrote:
The boat is beautifully equipped and built and laid out but I find its exterior lines rather ugly for a lobsterboat-type design. Aesthetically the boat looks out of balance to me in terms of the cabin size and placement.* At first glance the photo of it underway looked to me like a home-built, backyard boat. Strictly from an exterior aesthetic point of view I'll take Carey's custom lobsterboat any day over "Sea Toy.
The pictures are unfortunate and don't do her justice. They foreshorten her, if that's the term. In person, she has a lovely, long shear and low, balanced appearance.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Very pretty boat.* But, $900k!* Really?!* Could that be a typo?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
*No typo. As I said, can't speak to the price.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

A quick Yachtworld check shows a couple of Hinckley Talaria 38's in the same price range. Methinks I'd vote for the Talaria, should I ever be in the market for a boat like that. Better yet, for half the $$ I could be pretty happy with this one, and have enough left over to buy a Ferrari:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2010.../United-States
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:BaltimoreLurker wrote:
*No typo. As I said, can't speak to the price.

*A really well built, quality finished boat is not cheap.* Zimmerman, Atlantic/Campbell are two downeast style*boat finishers that come to mind.* Their boats are impeccable, but not cheap.* Notice that this boat is in Maine where such good work is appreciated.* It is definitely a finite market, but you will see them on the East coast.* They turn heads for sure.* Whn*Zimmerman added two feet to their 36' it lenghtened the shear and improved the lines.*
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #11
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

I see a lot of this type, or very similar, boats on the Chesapeake.* I've always called them, "Bay Boats" ...* just because.* Lots of crabbers and oyster-men.* I am coming around to really like the look and the apparent functionality of them.* I'm going to need to find a way to spend some time on one to get the feel.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
ARoss wrote:
*Better yet, for half the $$ I could be pretty happy with this one, and have enough left over to buy a Ferrari:

******* Smart man, Al. :clap:
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:ARoss wrote:
*Better yet, for half the $$ I could be pretty happy with this one, and have enough left over to buy a Ferrari:

******* Smart man, Al. :clap:

*Jeez Walt, look at the speed figures on that one. Time for you to trade up.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
I see a lot of this type, or very similar, boats on the Chesapeake.* I've always called them, "Bay Boats" ...* just because.* Lots of crabbers and oyster-men.* I am coming around to really like the look and the apparent functionality of them.* I'm going to need to find a way to spend some time on one to get the feel.
*Lurker, as you probably know the watermen on the Chesapeake prefer the Chesapeake deadrise hull.* It has a sharp entry to cut the nasty Chesapeake chop, fairly narrow for it's length for speed and carrying capacity and, fairly flat deadrise at the stern for speed and stability.* In appearance above the water line they resemble the lobster type boats.* On closer inspection they are quite different.* I love boats that were designed for the job they do.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Guru

I have a friend with a 35' Duffy true downeast hull It is finished nicely and will cruise economically at fifteen to sixteen knots with its four fifty horse Cummins

This boat has had loving and I do mean loving care.* Anyone interested, send me a PM for contact info.* It is available at a very attractive price.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #16

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
I can't speak for the asking price (less than the owner paid to build her),

There is an old joke amoung yacht brokers to determine the price of a custom build.

*"To price a one-off, just take half off."
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:It has a sharp entry to cut the nasty Chesapeake chop, fairly narrow for it's length for speed and carrying capacity and, fairly flat deadrise at the stern for speed and stability.* In appearance above the water line they resemble the lobster type boats.* On closer inspection they are quite different.
*Don--- Just curious, not arguing.* But how does your description of the Chesapeake boat differ from the typical lobsterboat, a prime example of which is pictured below?
Attached Thumbnails
newboat1.jpg   newboat3.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:Moonstruck wrote:It has a sharp entry to cut the nasty Chesapeake chop, fairly narrow for it's length for speed and carrying capacity and, fairly flat deadrise at the stern for speed and stability.* In appearance above the water line they resemble the lobster type boats.* On closer inspection they are quite different.
*Don--- Just curious, not arguing.* But how does your description of the Chesapeake boat differ from the typical lobsterboat, a prime example of which is pictured below?

*Not taken as an argument, as I know that you are as interested in work boats as I am.* Here is a side picture of one.* Notice the very sharp entry warping to a knife edge hard chine.* They are somewhat narrowerthan the typical lobster style boat with a extra length to carry about a hundred crab pots stacked on deck.* The put big engines in them some gas some diesel, but they are very fast.* Those guys are great seamen on the Bay.* The vertical white stick beside the engine box on the starboard side is how they steer.* When working they control the boat from the rear.* They also do this when docking, and boy are they skillful around the dock.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:00:21 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

Very interesting. This is the first time I've seen a picture of one out of the water. From the photo it appears they don't have nearly the keel of a lobsterboat. Are their cabins just a place to get out of the weather or do they incorporate any sort of berth, stove, etc. that one finds on most lobsterboats? Or are they primarily "day boats" and always return to port every night? And I assume it is this type of boat that is in the famous Tilghman Bay docking contest videos on YouTube.

Oh, and one other question....* Did their hulls evolve from the sail-powered fishing boats on the Chesapeake?* Skipjacks were they, or have I got that name wrong?

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:03:21 PM
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Very interesting. This is the first time I've seen a picture of one out of the water. From the photo it appears they don't have nearly the keel of a lobsterboat. Are their cabins just a place to get out of the weather or do they incorporate any sort of berth, stove, etc. that one finds on most lobsterboats? Or are they primarily "day boats" and always return to port every night? And I assume it is this type of boat that is in the famous Tilghman Bay docking contest videos on YouTube.

Oh, and one other question....* Did their hulls evolve from the sail-powered fishing boats on the Chesapeake?* Skipjacks were they, or have I got that name wrong?

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:03:21 PM
*Chesapeake Skip Jack is the proper name.* Yes, they evolved from these sailing work boats.* There was also the Chesapeake Bay log canoe that you may want to google.* They are not the canoes that you might be used to.

They are primarily day boats returning to harbor every night.* Minimal accomodations in the bow.* There is a wheel house to give some shelter*from the weather.* The sharp entry gives little other room.* The big docking contest on the Bay is at Chrisfield.**You may want to search that on youtube.**They will impress you the way they swing around, back in, and lasso a piling as they go by.* The smike cloud is impressive also.

I love the Chesapeake Bay.* It was a big disappointment not getting there this year.* Maybe in a couple of years, we can get back.*

The Bay has*for the most part a soft forgiving bottom.* Although many spots are shallow, the robust keels of the granite rock*bottom areas are not needed, but a shallow draft is.** If you could see one of the deadrise boats from the rear, you would see how narrow they are for their length.