Old 09-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #41
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Hm... I've never heard of those. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure what the point would be. I haven't had a lot of trouble finding entrance buoys lately. Have you?
No trouble finding entrance buoys. My point is that there is noway anyone needs AIS signature from chnl buoys, especially when they keep showing up at 99nm.

To be honest, I can't even say for sure. Despite the fact that he was only a few hundred feet from me, I never really did get a good look at him. By the time I saw him, we were already in extremis, and both of us were responsible for avoiding collision. All I really had time for was a quick danger signal and a bunch of hard right. I did flash him with the spotlight, but couldn't control the light and the helm at the same time, so I went with the helm. In case it wasn't clear, I was driving this when that happened:

No trouble finding entrance buoys. My point is that there is noway anyone needs AIS signature from chnl buoys, especially when they keep showing up at 99nm.

I didn't mean to pick on sailboats specifically. In this case, it happened to be one, but I've seen many power boats do dumb stuff. I have no problem following the rules, and find myself adjusting my course to avoid sailing vessels on a fairly regular basis. I would gladly have altered my course in this case, had I seen him, which brings us nicely back to the OP. Please be visible at night. Thank you.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #42
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I think you guys are missing his sarcasm.
I read that bit several times, trying to decide if it really was sarcasm or not.

As someone said in another thread we are reading posts from unknown strangers...

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #43
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Nope, only when their engines are off and they are actually sailing - a rarity in the PNW.
Another rarity I have noticed is the lack of anchor lights.
I can easily see and count the boats in a popular nearby open anchorage. Last night before dark I counted 21 sailboats at anchor. 3 hours after dark I counted 2 anchor lights. This morning, still 21 boats.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #44
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Captain Bill was right, thanks Cap. I did think the sarcasm was obvious (esp with the Queen Mary reference) but maybe not. I'm sure we have seen both power and sail boaters do rude or dumb things, and I've certainly done dumb things by accident, but I do think in general you see more presumptuousness among sailboaters. The earlier post that started this discussion is a perfect example. I get that the logic of the rules are based on relative maneuverability of power and sail, and that certainly makes sense, but how many times do you see a sailboat stay nailed on a tack when even a few degrees move would resolve intersecting courses (and I'm not talking about a few degrees that would make the sailboat fall off in any way, I mean a few degrees that would barely budge a telltale).

Maybe it comes from my years as a teenager sailing a Bluejay on the Connecticut River and LI Sound, dodging barges and big boats constantly. I had a draft of a couple feet, while they had to stay in sometimes narrow channels, etc. To me the safer, less stressful habit was yielding based on relative maneuverability, not insisting that the entire merchant and power fleet give way to my pipsqueak sailboat simply because I was under sail.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #45
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
A sailboat with engine running will still be stand on unless the engine is in gear. That's real hard to determine. A vessel that by nature of its size or draft cannot maneuver outside the channel is stand on over a sailboat (or powerboat) that can maneuver outside the channel. And, a vessel, engaged in commercial fishing, i.e., gear in the water, is stand on over all vessels.

It really pays to simply use common sense and stay out of each other's way.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
... And, a vessel, engaged in commercial fishing, i.e., gear in the water, is stand on over all vessels.
Not exactly:

"(d) The term "vessel engaged in fishing" means any vessel fishing with nets, lines, trawls, or other fishing apparatus which restrict maneuverability, but does not include a vessel fishing with trolling lines or other fishing apparatus which do not restrict maneuverability."

"(c) A vessel engaged in fishing when underway shall, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:

"(i) a vessel not under command;
(ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver"

These people fishing on their boat does not qualify as a vessel engaged in fishing:

Old 09-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #47
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Another rarity I have noticed is the lack of anchor lights.
I can easily see and count the boats in a popular nearby open anchorage. Last night before dark I counted 21 sailboats at anchor. 3 hours after dark I counted 2 anchor lights. This morning, still 21 boats.

19 of those might be folks who think that any popular anchorage must be the same as a specifically designated anchorage.

-Chris
Old 09-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Most people don't seem to know the difference between designated general anchorages versus designated special anchorages.

Anchoring in designated general anchorage displaying the required day shape:

Old 09-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #49
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
This has always been a question I have had. One on my favorite places to go on a weekend is a nice quiet bay surrounded by some private homes. It is a popular place to go so often has a lot of weekenders. It also has a number of local boats that are on private moorings. This is not a designated mooring field.

I always have my anchor light on, but I am am sitting between boats on moorings with no anchor lights. This is not unusual around here but I have never heard of anyone being cited for failure to have an anchor light.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #50

City: Carrollton, Va
Lol seriously? Call an officer so he can call the captain to ask about a course change? This is what people think deep sea sailing is? I wish it were that easy!
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:54 AM   #51
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
Lol seriously? Call an officer so he can call the captain to ask about a course change? This is what people think deep sea sailing is? I wish it were that easy!

If I called the captain in the middle of the night to ask him about making a course change, he'd do that Darth Vader chokey thing.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #52
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
This is what people think deep sea sailing is?
Apparently, yes. But I wouldn't do anything to dispel that notion. The more incompetent they wrongly think you are, the more likely they are to stay the hell out of your way.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #53
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
I have a role of 3M SOLAS reflective tape - the same effect you see on offshore foul-weather gear. I've put it on some of our smaller boats but never the large one though if I were more concerned I'd certainly consider it.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #54

City: Carrollton, Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Apparently, yes. But I wouldn't do anything to dispel that notion. The more incompetent they wrongly think you are, the more likely they are to stay the hell out of your way.
Hahaha that's funny!!

SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote