Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Mystery Noise

Last week we were on the hook 3 nights and in marinas the rest.* When we were on the hook we would sometimes hear a strange vibration that was literally loud enough to keep you awake all night (one night it nearly did).* The sound seemed to emanate from the transom area but from the bottom of the boat, and was very loud at times.* Like a fast jackhammer in period and the tone never changed.* The strange thing about the sound is that it is loud aft and isn't heard forward.

I looked everywhere and could not identify any stays, rubbing furniture, canvass, vibrating pumps or anything else and could never put my hand or ear directly on the source of the noise.** What I did notice is that the noise seemed to correspond to the speed of the current -- never noticed it during a slack tide.* At first I thought maybe one of my rudders was loose and somehow was being acted upon by the current since our boat was being pushed against it by a string perpindicular wind.

But my final theory is this:* I use a 25' snubber which was pulled tight like a guitar string down into the water.* The force of the current caused it to vibrate like a guitar string and somehow the tone resonated from the bow hawse pipe back through the boat and wasn't "released" until it hit the transom.* That is the only way I can think of where the sound is audible in the aft cabin and not in the forward cabin.** I was going to shorten or remove the snub to see if the sound went away but didn't want to do that in the dark at 1AM.

Ideas?* My theory might sound strange but I've heard some bridle chafing that was truly unbearable when on a mooring ball, so I know vibrations can travel in strange ways throughout a boat's hull.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Mystery Noise

The Flying Dutchman.

Just playing you a song.

ooo* eeee* oooo!!!
Sorry I couldn't resist** Halloween is near.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 11th of October 2010 01:09:05 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: White Star
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove
RE: Mystery Noise

I wonder if you have the Monk 36 boat whos previous owner died while sanding the transom down preparing it for paint. I'd call Taps. Might want to do some EVP work.
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Truth be known, the Monk design was stolen from a So Cal tuna fisherman/designer. The*original designer, now deceased,*is rumored to h(a)unting all remaining hulls.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

Truth be known, the Monk design was stolen from a So Cal tuna fisherman/designer. The*original designer, now deceased,*is rumored to h(a)unting all remaining hulls.
So I gotta go tell my wife that our boat is haunted by the ghost of Edwin Monk, and he's pissed because someone is putting his name on someone else's design?* I think our ghost doesn't like to be on anchor --*maybe I'll pay out a tad more scope next time just to be safe.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #6

City: Bradenton, FL
Vessel Name: Coconuts
Vessel Model: 1996 49' Krogen Express

I read somewhere else (I think on the AGLCA forum) reports of bottom noise which turned out to be feeding fish of some kind hitting the bottom for food (barnicles, etc.). But I like the ghost theory too...
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: White Star
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove

Another possibility is with abit of current flow can cause some props to "sing". However, I like my original theory better.

Dave
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Actually, it's all about SEX!!* You may be hearing the "Singing Toad Fish"* True story.* Years ago they kept the whole harbor in Sausalito awake for about a month.* Made all the papers.* Biologists finally discovered the cause of the mechanical like noise and predicted correctly that once mating season was over the noise would stop.* Here's the story* http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-12-1...athy-muscles.......................Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Guru

Mystery Noise

Quote:
charles wrote:

Woody,
In my case I was anchored on several different rivers in the current and it was so strong that it actually turned the wheels on the boat. To stop them I put a large pipe wrench on the shafts. It is surprising just how much noise the running gear actually makes. A roar!!!
CCC
I thought the same thing so I put them in gear thinking that would stop the noise.* Do you think one of the props would spin even though I put them in forward?* Also turned the wheel hard over hoping that would help somehow.* Believe me I dang near tried everything and had it not started happening in the middle of the night I would have got down in the bilge with a flashlight.* Next time I will and check to see if the shaft(s) are turning.* Where I was parked could have been three knot current, best guess, possibly more.*

Thanks for all the creative ideas...

-- Edited by Egregious on Monday 11th of October 2010 07:34:14 PM
Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Woody,
The props would spin in gear. They only "lock up" when the charge pump is spinning and pressure can be applied to the clutch pack piston.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Egregious, I think your own theory re the snubber humming is still probably the most likely explanation. I can't imagine a 3 kn current being able to turn your props. Why not try just shortening the snubber so it's not actually under the water, and I would put money on it, the noise would stop - if it happens again. Chances are the coming together of the exact same conditions that caused it will not happen again however, just to tee you off....and leave you wondering - like was it really old Monks ghost...or whatever....he he he...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote