Bedding Compound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I need to reseat the radar arch because it leaks badly into a storage locker on the flybridge. The way it's mounted, it looks like I will need to completely lift the arch out of its mount, scrape off the old goo and reseat and reapply bedding compound. Any tips? What compound should I use. I know 5200 is too strong, but what are the alternatives to 4200 (or any 3M)? Is there better stuff out there? Any secret to applying it? Use a lot or use a little?

Thanks.

You're right, 5200 is overkill for this (for most applications even). I use 3M 4000 or 4200 for most of my projects. Use a lot than wipe off the excess. Should last a few years. Make sure to get the UV one. The non UV becomes yellowish after a while.

don't use 5200 unless you NEVER want to remove the radar arch again! 4200 should work- that's typically what I use.

Which one would you use for this app Marin?

Marin,
I use a lot of Sikaflex But for this (I assume it will need to be taken off every several years)
I think Dolphinite would probably be better. *Dolphinite has been around forever and is to be sure low tech. You're not going to hold anything together w it but it works quite well as a sealer and it is relatively easy to take apart and reseal. I hav'nt had good luck w any of the 3M stuff*except 5200. Ther'es some auto stuff that comes in a rope like silly putty like stuff I'd like to apply to someth'in some day and try it out.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Thursday 7th of October 2010 05:04:49 PM

Eric mentioned Dolfinite and that is a very good product. We use it on our boat to bed things that are held securely by mechanical fasteners and may have to be removed periodically. So window frames, the big laminated teak block that supports our anchor windless on the foredeck, and other such items we bed with Dolfinite.

But.... Dolfinte dries out over time when exposed to air. Which is why the most experienced shipwright on the Grand Banks forum recommends running a faired bead of Polyseamseal around the outside of a Dolfinite seal, like the joint between a window frame and the cabine side. The Polyseamseal protects edge of the Dolfinite bedding from drying out.

On this same fellow's recommendation, we use Sikaflex to bed/seal window tracks, window glass, and other things where there can be some benefit in a degree of adhesiveness in the sealant.

Knowing nothing about your particular situation I would be inclined to use Sikaflex. I'm guessing your arch has some flex to it and Sikaflex's adhesive properties might help reduce or prevent any movement at the base of the arch that could open up a pathway for moisture to get through if the sealant was totally non-adhesive.

If the radar arch is something you anticipate having to remove or lift every so often to run new wire or whatever then Eric's suggestion of Dolfinite is a good one.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 7th of October 2010 06:59:05 PM

I'd go for Sikaflex myself also - it retains some flexibility, and is not that hard to separate should removal and re-bedding be needed.

If you look in their Catalog Stickaflex comes in a huge variety.

The wrong one is as poor a choice as 5200.

Dolphinite #1 for every 7 or 8 years of rebedding.

Back
Top Bottom