Old 08-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Guru

Beach House versus Boat

Well after only nine months after selling the boat and living within walking distance of the water, we decided it wasn't close enough so we have decided to sell the beach house and get back on the water. After close to 10 years of living aboard part time (with some breaks in between) we thought it was time to stay on land and really never expected to want to spend nights aboard. I guess we wrong and probably a little crazy but then again life is so short so what the heck.

Curious if there are others out there that thought they were done only to realize they missed the water and returned to living aboard even if it was only part time?

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Curious if there are others out there that thought they were done only to realize they missed the water and returned to living aboard even if it was only part time?
Great to see that you are coming back, John! We don't live on the beach but we do look out over the Pacific....Life's a bitch, isn't it?

The photo is a view from dwhatty's room.
Attached Thumbnails
Ocean View.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Yes, welcome back!

We also understand the pull of waterfront living.

This is looking from the lake to home.

You can do both, just be a little frugal with the boat.

I know you love your Nordhavns, heck everybody here probably does... but you don't have to spend a million bucks to buy a round the world capable boat when you're a guy that doesn't have the time at your stage in life to go around the world.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0461.jpg  
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Seems like doing both would be a good option. I plan to spend a fair amount of time cruising, but see no need to give up my home. I like the idea of getting away when you've had enough and coming home when you've had enough.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
This is the view from my living room. Only one choice for me... I'm giving it up for a life on the water in my future Diesel Duck.

But all is not so bad... This is the view I'll have when I do get off the boat and spend some time back on land:

Old 08-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not quite sure what living aboard part time is....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
We have tried for over a year and a half to buy coastal property. Three failed attempts (for lots of weird reasons) said that Karma was trying to tell us to get back on the water... So we are.

IMHO, there is little need for our bigger and slower boats when you have a base of operations on dirt. Our boat WAS our destination and where we operated from. We know a few boaters that had bigger boats (trawlers), moved to a coastal community, then realized the boating needs change when you are right near the water. Certainly this isn't the case always, but if you are right on the water, the water becomes a recreational highway. Being able to scoot around quickly and get into more shallow area seems to be the norm. Many get center console boats and skiffs while some opt for something to go "boat camping" and get a cuddy cabin or smaller Sea Ray like boat.

I guess there are a lot more factors than these. It's just what I have noticed anyway. I'm not sure it makes sense. I hope it reads right. :-)
Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Tampa
Unfortunately, I've never had to face that predicament

We were recently looking at some waterfront property in Yankeetown, about an hour and a half north of where we live now, and we've also looked at some condo's and small homes on the Gulf and ICW from Hudson to Port Charlotte. Like ksanders said, you can do both if you work at it.

But my guess is, we'll likely always have an inland dirt home, and eventually get whatever we decide on to spend weeks, weekends and maybe a few months at a time on. I can't see us moving aboard full time for a variety of reasons from family to business commitments.

If it were not for the latter part, I'd say I'd probably choose the boat.
That way, if I don't like my neighbors, or tire of the view, I'll raise the anchor and change it
Old 08-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I just stopped in here after perusing waterfront vacation property online. I've always wanted an island.

I too have a water view at home. I truly have no idea what I was thinking.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Approximately one third of the cruisers in the Eastern Caribbean are full time, that is they live on the boat 12 months a year and do not have a dirt side home. We are part of the group that have homes to go back to and we enjoy the change. Because we live in both worlds the desire to finish up with boating doesn't seem to arise.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
When we sold the sailboat, we moved back on land and Lena went back to work. After 4 months she asked if we could find another boat. We found another boat got rid of the dirt dwelling (again). We do talk of moving back on land at some point but also about what size boat we'll have (smaller and faster)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I don't have waterfront property. I live a five minute walk from the ocean (through Acadia National Park), so I can hear the surf at night and fog horns of boats transiting the Bass Harbor Bar during the occasional Maine coastal fog. I compensate for living inland by having two cruising boats (one power and one sail). They are pretty far away from the house though. It takes about fifteen minutes to go from sitting at home to sitting on either boat.

The harbor where I keep my boats.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I just stopped in here after perusing waterfront vacation property online. I've always wanted an island.

I too have a water view at home. I truly have no idea what I was thinking.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Because we live in both worlds the desire to finish up with boating doesn't seem to arise.
You may have hit a major point. As to living aboard "part time" well we spend over 2/3 of our time on a boat, so that would be my definition.

We know for us, living full time on a boat and having no land home just wasn't the right way to go. We love our time on boats but we love coming home to our land home as well. It is on the water. Also, by having both, they can be at too distant locations through the magic of air travel.

I would expect over the years our percentage of time on land vs. water will vary and change. As we age I can see the trips becoming shorter, not as adventurous or far from home, perhaps more time on our land base and the boats more for local cruising than long range.

I know many don't, but we would miss having a land home. Our home is where we spend time with all our family and friends that can't cruise all the time, those who work the majority of the time.

On the other hand, no matter how much we loved a home, I can't imagine us ever not having a boat and not wanting to be out on the water. I'm sure that day may come but it won't be for lack of desire, but for lack of physical ability and health.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
As we age I can see the trips becoming shorter, not as adventurous or far from home, perhaps more time on our land base and the boats more for local cruising than long range..................

On the other hand, no matter how much we loved a home, I can't imagine us ever not having a boat and not wanting to be out on the water. I'm sure that day may come but it won't be for lack of desire, but for lack of physical ability and health.
I took a page out of Moonstruck's life a few years ago and bought a place in the mountains of AZ. (He has a cabin in the mountains of SE US. Actual location is undisclosed.) You see, Moonstruck is one of my heroes & really knows how to get the most out of life!

Since we have a water view from our dirt house & our boat, we can escape the boredom of seeing that every day and hole up in our mountain home. (I know, I know...that was pretty crude!)
Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We decided goat as they were cheap and can be moved to different location. We also decided motor home over fix land. 8 months in the RV down south in the winter and 4 month in the summer on the boat. To many places, people and things to do to be fixed in one place as we are not tied down with stuff.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
This is the view from my living room. Only one choice for me... I'm giving it up for a life on the water in my future Diesel Duck.

This doesn't look like Medellin
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I took a page out of Moonstruck's life a few years ago and bought a place in the mountains of AZ. (He has a cabin in the mountains of SE US. Actual location is undisclosed.) You see, Moonstruck is one of my heroes & really knows how to get the most out of life!

Since we have a water view from our dirt house & our boat, we can escape the boredom of seeing that every day and hole up in our mountain home. (I know, I know...that was pretty crude!)
OK Walt Arizona in the winter is where all of our neighbors are going.

Around our lake we are all reaching a stage in life where we don't like Alaska's winters anymore. Many are going to the Phoenix area. Several are snowbirding in Havasu city or Bullhead City.

We are going on a look and see if we like it trip this winter to the Bullhead City area. If we both like it, we'll be snowbird house shopping after that.

Not spending a mint on our boat is the only reason we are fiscally able to make that choice.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
This doesn't look like Medellin
So many amazing lakes around Medillan both natural and man made
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #20
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
We probably would never be in a position to want to full time it on a boat. Right now we have a house in WA situated right on the Columbia River and Beachcomber is 10 minutes away, plus we have a Whaler dinghy in the garage. And a pool in the back yard.

I don't say that to brag, but to show why we're not going to full time it on the boat. We also have a condo in the Phoenix area because we don't like the winters in WA.

My bucket list includes a 4 month cruise around the coast of WA and into Desolation Sound and Puget Sound. After that trip has been completed the boat will probably be up for sale.

Our journeys then will be by air and by car. Lots of this world you can't see from the water.