Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #81
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Several years ago a fellow with a 30-something foot Bayliner was having trouble getting one of his gas engines started. So he poured some raw gas down the carburetor throat while his girlfriend cranked the engine. The engine backfired and shot a gout of flame up out of the engine room. The flame got something on the boat burning and by the time the guy got hold of a fire extinguisher the fire was too big for it. He and the girflriend abandoned the boat by diving off the bow.

End result: the Bayliner burned to the waterline and sunk. The cruiser in the slip with it (upwind) had severe scorching and hull and cabin warping from the heat. The boat in the next slip over (downwind), a newly and totally restored, refinished CHB, was destroyed above the waterline although it did not sink.

Many of the dock's pilings were burned. And most of the boats on the dock (the Bayliner was the second boat in on the upwind end of the dock) suffered extreme smoke and soot damage.

Had the initial fire resulted from a big flare-up from a barbecue it is certainly possible the results could have been exactly the same.
Marin

That reminds me of a screw ball (heavy drinking business person) I vaguely knew who one eve threw raw gasoline into his (he thought was fully extinguished) fireplace - F'd himself royally and torched the house. That's about as smart as your story of the guy pouring gas down the throat of an open carb, inside a boat, having no spark arrester in place, and while engine is being turned over... without even a large extinguisher readily at hand - geeeezzz, dumb is as dumb does!

So, yes, due to over intoxications by any means, ignitable fluids, glowing charcoal, general mistakes and the like... as well as sheer stupidity around heat/fuel sources... I can see where marina owners are skeptical to allow any BBQ usage aboard boats that are at dock. All that is needed is one big mistake from stupidity or even an unlikely, innocient occurrence to start a real big fire-calamity. Another reason we keep full ins coverage on our Tolly!

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #82
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

With 2 examples of boats burned to the waterline from carburetors and I know of none by BBQ.....why then don't marinas ban carburetors?????
Cause carbs make it so many boats can pull into dock and pay marinas big fees! BBQ's don't! Just that simple - LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #83
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Cause carbs make it so many boats can pull into dock and pay marinas big fees! BBQ's don't! Just that simple - LOL
I'm on a low carb diet so good BBQ keeps me full of necessary (evil...) protien overdoses....

But on a more serious note...I have found most marine BBQs are WAYYYYY overpriced and unless a charcoal one...the propane ones just don't get hot enough unless they are double walled....the Cheap $29 ones available every spring have the same problem..but that why I saved an older cast aluminum (very thick walls) to rebuild next summer.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #84
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. You raise very interesting points regarding both the cast aluminum issue and REBUILD. Our home BBQ is of the cast Al variety. One of my MAIN beefs with this and previous units we've owned is the short lifespan of the OEM and replacement SS burners. Seems like every year or two I would have to spring $30-$50 to replace a rusted out burner. The last time I went to buy one, I noticed a cast iron replacement was available. Two years and counting so far. Similar to this:
CSB Small Single Cast Iron Gas Grill "H" Burner; - Cast Iron Burners by Stonewell Trading Company
Seems to work VERY well for a home sized unit but I don't know if a smaller replacement would be available for a marine sized (smaller) BBQ. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #85
Art
Guru

Quote:
I'm on a low carb diet so good BBQ keeps me full of necessary (evil...) protien overdoses....

But on a more serious note...I have found most marine BBQs are WAYYYYY overpriced and unless a charcoal one...the propane ones just don't get hot enough unless they are double walled....the Cheap $29 ones available every spring have the same problem..but that why I saved an older cast aluminum (very thick walls) to rebuild next summer.
Our top of the line Magma propane BBQ cooks hot and thoroughly. Heck, most of the time I need to turn it down so items don't burn, even with the lid open. When lid is closed I often turn to low for some good slow cooken! Wind seems to have no effect as far as extinguishing flame. Don't remember any time needing to restart in mid cook... cept when propane bottle ran out. I admit the stiffest wind I've cooked in has probably been no more than 15 to 20 mph. I don't bother BBQen in a real stiff wind anyway! That's what our Tolly's up-galley is for!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #86
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
That's about as smart as your story of the guy pouring gas down the throat of an open carb, inside a boat....
The only correction I might make to that statement is that I believe the boat in this case had its engines under hatches in the open cockpit floor, not actually contained inside the main part of the boat. But by the time I got to the scene the Bayliner had already sunk so it was difficult to make out what the boat's configuration had actually been. Makes no difference to the outcome but if my recollection is correcgt the flare up was in the open cockpit, not inside the boat. Same sort of place a BBQ mght be located.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #87
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
As I thought..totally without the ability to point towards ANY MARINE regulation on grills other than a marina, town or county regulation that was the result of some yahoo that shouldn't have been allowed to play with matches in the first place.

Do you ever get tired of not having a real answer?
And i suppose your posts are any different?...chuckle....I use a little portable cast weber not intended for use on a boat as mentioned earlier. Definately not marine spec.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #88
Art
Guru

Don’t mean to hijack this thread off the important topic of BBQ/Grills... but, to segue for just a moment... here’s something I feel is a TF record that should be heralded and allotted to its TRUE WINNER!

Marin your approx 8,941 posts in approx 5.3 yrs on TF = 1,687 per yr / 141 per mo / 32 per wk / that’s 5 per da average

I thought I was really pushing my posts at approx 1,451 posts in approx 2 yrs on TF = 726 per yr / 60 per mo / 14 per wk / that’s 2 per da average – My hat's off to you - I don’t hold a candle to your # of posts!

I rounded to highest whole #'s; and, I hope my calcs are correct (at least close to correct – lol).

Soooo, I believe congratulations are in order to you Marin, as you can claim title being TF’s most prolific “Poster” Boy!

Unless there is someone who out-posts you – which is quite doubtful!! If so, let he or she step forward and claim title. Then we could get into number of words posted – that’s a title I’m confident you will win!

I recommend that a Grand "Posting-Prize" be awarded April 1st, 2075!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #89

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Our top of the line Magma propane BBQ cooks hot and thoroughly. Heck, most of the time I need to turn it down so items don't burn, even with the lid open. When lid is closed I often turn to low for some good slow cooken! Wind seems to have no effect as far as extinguishing flame. Don't remember any time needing to restart in mid cook... cept when propane bottle ran out. I admit the stiffest wind I've cooked in has probably been no more than 15 to 20 mph. I don't bother BBQen in a real stiff wind anyway! That's what our Tolly's up-galley is for!

I have a Magma Infrared and it also cooks extremely hot. Cook everything on low except steaks. For them, medium-low is plenty hot.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #90
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
I recommend that a Grand "Posting-Prize" be awarded April 1st, 2075!
Are you going to have a "poll" and will it contain a "none of the above" box?

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #91
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. SH. Take note, Mr. Art is a bit of a poop stirrer (and I mean that in the nicest way Mr. Art) at times. I don't think we need stroll down the poll path so soon after the most recent "experience".
Old 01-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #92
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
OMG! Ryan Stiles? Where did you dig that up & thanks for responding so quick, I had money on you!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #93
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. SH....

Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #94
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. SH. Take note, Mr. Art is a bit of a poop stirrer (and I mean that in the nicest way Mr. Art) at times. I don't think we need stroll down the poll path so soon after the most recent "experience".
Who?... Me??
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #95
Enigma

Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #96
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. SH....

Dear Quiet TF BossMan, RT - I may be a stirrer, but, respectfully I say... you are a flusher... as per some video quips and word-mixes you post.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #97
Enigma

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #98
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
[FONT=Verdana]I believe congratulations are in order to you Marin, as you can claim title being TF’s most prolific “Poster” Boy
That's your choice. As I thought I've made very clear in the past, I view this forum as purely entertainment, sort of like taking a quick break and watching a bit of "Family Guy." It's value to me as a boater is pretty much zero. (As opposed to the GB owners forum.) But it's fun to dash something off in a quick moment and see what kind of reaction it gets.

Some people eat a cookie or something when they want a break from what they happen to be doing. This place is far more healthy because if it wasn't for TF I'd have eaten almost nine thousand cookies since 2007.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #99
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That's your choice. As I've said before, I view this forum as pure entertainment, sort of like taking a quick break and watching a bit of "Family Guy." It's value to me as a boater is pretty much zero. (As opposed to the GB owners forum.) But it's fun to dash something off in a quick moment and see what kind of reaction it gets.

Some people eat a cookie or something when they want a break from what they happen to be doing. This place is far less fattening.
Agreed! to the Max!! Its Tollycraft Owners' forum for me to get some serious stuff. TF is fun though to read into certain persons' mind and intent. Cookies ain't too bad... pretty yummy, actually.

Although, "Family Guy" ain't my cup o' tea!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #100
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
One thing's for sure, Marin will never be accused of blowing smoke up anyone on here's a*se, or giving us a big head....

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote