Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #41
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I grew up in Hawaii. That's way farther south than northern states like South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc. And in Hawaii, they're all called "barbecues."
u grew up?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We use Magma BBQ/Grill. Hope that product title satisfies all posters’ conflicting nomenclature needs .

See dark cover atop sundeck rail's port-rear. Uses small, fat, disposable propane bottle (wish they could be refilled) and can cook well for up to 5 adult eaters... with a little help from the galley for other meal fixings.

I use ribbed, vented cooking inserts on the grill to keep it all fairly clean so I only need to take it apart once a year (at most) to really clean er up... 4 yrs old, all parts are still in good shape... so far!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO - Stbd in Tules 100_0433.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	16217  

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Another alternative we find great, as it does not use gas or electric and can be placed nearly anywhere after the initial heat bead burn is settled, it is that well insulated, is one of these. It is amazing how much one can cook on it......

Home | Cobb - Making Life Easier x

PS. In my view, by common usage, they are all BBQs....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #44
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Up until last week I had a Galley Mate 1500, terrific BBQ.It's now free to anyone who wants it, provided you can dive, maybe a job for Hendo.A boat leaving a mooring in a strong wind took our rail and BBQ with him.
Haha yeah ill ave a look for ya! ;-)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #45
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Why do you spend so much money on a BBQ? When you can by a cheap one that is a throw away. The older we get the more we do not want to own and/or maintain. If we have a large group to be used a couple of time, then it becomes next years BBQ. Our Back deck 13’ X 10’ with a sink, refrigeration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	back deck.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	16221  
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #46
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
We have to use electric grills if we're in the slip, this is the one that turns out the best steaks I've had on a electric. Set it on medium when the light goes out put the steak on for 3 min on a side. Better than gas almost as good as charcoal, gotta start with 1"+ cuts, I like porterhouse.

Name:	image-3031070607.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	16226
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #47
Guru

Last summer a Looper in the slip next to us (about five feet rail to rail) torched off a charcoal grill (soaked with starter fluid). Of course he waited until the harbor master had left for the night. Posted marina rules say no on-board grilling. The wind was about 10 kts directly toward our boat. Flames shot five...six feet in the air before he managed to get the lid on. Then he threw a bunch of greasy burgers on the fire and our boat disappeared in a pall of black smoke. We had to leave the sundeck and go inside. That is as good a reason as any for banning on board grill activity of any kind in marinas. By the way, there were grills and picnic tables directly in front of his boat.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #48
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We use Magma BBQ/Grill. Hope that product title satisfies all posters’ conflicting nomenclature needs .

See dark cover atop sundeck rail's port-rear. Uses small, fat, disposable propane bottle (wish they could be refilled) and can cook well for up to 5 adult eaters... with a little help from the galley for other meal fixings.

I use ribbed, vented cooking inserts on the grill to keep it all fairly clean so I only need to take it apart once a year (at most) to really clean er up... 4 yrs old, all parts are still in good shape... so far!
It is illegal in Ontario to refill the small bottles but there are multiple sites that sell the adapters and lots of youtube videos on how to do it. Never tryed myself but it obviously can be done. Anyone have one or tried it??

Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #49

City: EC FL
My business partner refills the small one pound bottles on his boat all the time. I’ve watched him do it and it seems safe enough.

I know exactly how much money he makes, and I’ll just add that he can afford to buy as many of the bottles as he needs.

I’ve never done it, but then I don’t have a grill on the little DeFever.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
It is illegal in Ontario to refill the small bottles but there are multiple sites that sell the adapters and lots of youtube videos on how to do it. Never tryed myself but it obviously can be done. Anyone have one or tried it??

Propane Refill Kit - Refill Propane Bottles with Ease!
been doing it for years, its easy and safe. The trick is to make sure you turn the fill from tankupside down so you fill the can with liquid instead of gaseous propane. They then last much longer than if filled with gas.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #51
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
Last summer a Looper in the slip next to us (about five feet rail to rail) torched off a charcoal grill (soaked with starter fluid). Of course he waited until the harbor master had left for the night. Posted marina rules say no on-board grilling. The wind was about 10 kts directly toward our boat. Flames shot five...six feet in the air before he managed to get the lid on. Then he threw a bunch of greasy burgers on the fire and our boat disappeared in a pall of black smoke. We had to leave the sundeck and go inside. That is as good a reason as any for banning on board grill activity of any kind in marinas. By the way, there were grills and picnic tables directly in front of his boat.
Unless your boat is covered in gasoline...I hardly think a flareup on a grill a boat away is a fire hazard.

Most boats are electrical nightmares that are more likely to catch fire and burn yours down in the middle of the night than from a "party grilling experience".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Unless your boat is covered in gasoline...I hardly think a flareup on a grill a boat away is a fire hazard.

Most boats are electrical nightmares that are more likely to catch fire and burn yours down in the middle of the night than from a "party grilling experience".
only boats that have been owner modified or maintanined without ptoper education. There is a reason for marine specs, and they are not the same as home depot specs.................
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
only boats that have been owner modified or maintanined without ptoper education. There is a reason for marine specs, and they are not the same as home depot specs.................
Please feel free to show me the specs from ABYC or the USCG on grills....

Maybe propane installs but you are so far out of your league as a self described landlubber I can't believe I even responded....
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:

The "flareup" was about six inches from the shared wooden finger pier and slightly below it. The dock burns, our boat burns...guaranteed.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #55

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Should have hosed him off, I know I would have. He was the one in the wrong and he smoked up your boat.

Quote:
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
The "flareup" was about six inches from the shared wooden finger pier and slightly below it. The dock burns, our boat burns...guaranteed.
Guaranteed???? Ever take a propane torch to all that??? I've seen plumbers work and while they take precautions....it takes some real effort for them to catch things on fire to a roar quickly. When my grill flares up...you can pass your hand through the flame...gimme a break....

As I said unless you were covered in flammable liquid I doubt there was much danger. People have grills next to their houses and how often do you here about the house catching on fire??? 1 in a million???? Maybe????

Uncomfortable...yes...smokey yes and maybe not very polite...but dangerous???? NOT!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Please feel free to show me the specs from ABYC or the USCG on grills....

Maybe propane installs but you are so far out of your league as a self described landlubber I can't believe I even responded....
Oh, so here we go with that anti marine spec kick again. Well Mr. psneed, the fact is marine specs have had been developed after tons of effort and scientific research by many professionals and while not perfect they protect the novice far better than the off the cuff advice of a single "expert", such as yourself.
I don't claim to be an expert on anything and thats were we differ.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Guaranteed???? Ever take a propane torch to all that??? I've seen plumbers work and while they take precautions....it takes some real effort for them to catch things on fire to a roar quickly. When my grill flares up...you can pass your hand through the flame...gimme a break....

As I said unless you were covered in flammable liquid I doubt there was much danger. People have grills next to their houses and how often do you here about the house catching on fire??? 1 in a million???? Maybe????

Uncomfortable...yes...smokey yes and maybe not very polite...but dangerous???? NOT!
you can pass your hand through it cause it is a gas, if it was liquid your hand would countinue to flame. Another lesson in rocket science...soon we will both be astronauts......
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Oh, so here we go with that anti marine spec kick again. Well Mr. psneed, the fact is marine specs have had been developed after tons of effort and scientific research by many professionals and while not perfect they protect the novice far better than the off the cuff advice of a single "expert", such as yourself.
I don't claim to be an expert on anything and thats were we differ.

As I thought..totally without the ability to point towards ANY MARINE regulation on grills other than a marina, town or county regulation that was the result of some yahoo that shouldn't have been allowed to play with matches in the first place.

Do you ever get tired of not having a real answer?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
you can pass your hand through it cause it is a gas, if it was liquid your hand would countinue to flame. Another lesson in rocket science...soon we will both be astronauts......
So you make my point for me and you think it's funny??? I'll bet a whole bunch do....