Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Up until last week I had a Galley Mate 1500, terrific BBQ.It's now free to anyone who wants it, provided you can dive, maybe a job for Hendo.A boat leaving a mooring in a strong wind took our rail and BBQ with him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat bash 014.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	16211  

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #22
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
I use propane stove and Magma propane bbq, no generator. A lot of the boats at the boat show had electric stoves and funnily enough no generator. Guess they will be on shore power a lot.
that makes alot of sense ....maybe they had an inverter?

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I, in fact use an old Magma propane-pre hinged lid days. Along the same lines as the OP's question. HOW is your BBQ oriented? I notice in Mr. Gulfstar 36's picture, it seems to be mounted outboard of the railing. Myself, it's mounted inboard of the railing. My way of thinking is that if the SPAM luncheon meat falls off the grill it will land on the deck rather than in the drink. Thoughts?
That would certainly save the unsuspecting crabs from a slow death .
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Greetings,
Hmmmm....fire code. The distance differential between in and outboard mount is only about 1.5' or so. People have open flame inside their boats (LPG ranges). With an electric grill, that SPAM can still flare up into open flame. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the reasoning. Where would that leave someone like Mr. supertramp whose "outdoor BBQ pit" is on the FB?
Rules are like laws...and you're still wondering why and how some come about????? I think not...you are too tuned in...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
I, in fact use an old Magma propane-pre hinged lid days. Along the same lines as the OP's question. HOW is your BBQ oriented? I notice in Mr. Gulfstar 36's picture, it seems to be mounted outboard of the railing. Myself, it's mounted inboard of the railing. My way of thinking is that if the SPAM luncheon meat falls off the grill it will land on the deck rather than in the drink. Thoughts?
Rt they was barbe-ing some kind of plain old sea creatures and if they fall overboard you just catch some more. Don't they call that the bounty of the sea.....or is it booty of the sea?
Never had much luck baiting spam to a hook or pot. Besides, barbecued spam on a piece of sourdough, tomatoes, lettuce,,,,pretty good....wouldnt want to loose that overboard.

how bout deep fried spam with sweet tater fries?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #26

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Hey I lost only one wing that day

I guess it depends on how how sloppy your food is. The wings marinate 2 days in a secret mixture.

Quote:
Greetings,
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
BBQ'ing aboard at the dock is pretty much forbidden in our area. Covered slips in our area is the reason given and as it seems so universal I assume the state Fire Marshal made the call.

However, BBQ facilities complete with tables are provided by the majority of the marinas free of charge off the docks. Some have propane grills while others provide park style grills for your charcoal.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Why must I continue to remind you people (and the southerners here should know better)... Those devices are grills. Neither are hot dogs and hamburgers. Nor do you invite people over for a barbeque. Bar-B-Q is a certain style of cooking or the result of it.

Now please, continue your discussion about grills for your boat.

Tom-
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #29

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Broil King | Venezuela
This is my naturalgas BBQ in this moment on the Fly. He is working well but not with many wind.
Norbert
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
I'm surprised no one mentioned the big green egg. I was going to build a holder for a green egg and mount it. Is that going to burn my boat down again?
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Why must I continue to remind you people (and the southerners here should know better)... Those devices are grills. Neither are hot dogs and hamburgers. Nor do you invite people over for a barbeque. Bar-B-Q is a certain style of cooking or the result of it.

Now please, continue your discussion about grills for your boat.

Tom-
grills???......no Tom this is suppsed to be a family forum. If grills you want come on down to the boardwalk its T shirts and shorts weather and grils everywhere

all kidding aside i have a little fold up cast weber that uses those little propane bottles i use. It's cast so holds the heat in and can go any place i like. Throw it in the dingy for a trip to the beach or for a hike in the woods.

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/.../weber-q-100-2

I've had this little guy for years above is the link to the new version. I made a sack for it out of a scrap of sunbrella.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. G. I blame it all on the northern war of aggression y'all.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #33

I use a magma charcoal fired. It hangs over the transom. At home I have a natural gas fired Falcon. Although I love the absolutely no maintenance Falcon at home, with no tank to fill. We use it year round including winter when we often have to shovel a path across the deck to use it. It isn't as good as the charcoal on the boat. The charcoal Magma is slow to heat, but that just gives me an excuse to have another adult beverage. The charcoal is a bit of a mess. Its not big enough for more than 4 people. 4 - 1 lb. ribeyes fit tight. But I love it. and the food always seems to taste better than on land. That has to be because of the grill not the locale. None of the marinas I have stayed at allow me to use it, but that's OK too. It gives an excuse to fire up the motors and go someplace, even if it a mile away to drop the hook. And the best feature of all, I have made some fish extremely happy with food far better than they would have got unless I was clumsy enough to drop it into the drink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26jun2011 080.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	16215  
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Those devices are grills.
If the manufacturer calls it a barbecue, that's what it is. If you think they're wrong, take it up with them. But until Dickinson, Magma, etc. start calling them grills, they're barbecues.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #35
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. G. The only comment I can make about Mr. Marin's assertion is.....Yankees....
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #36
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We have the Magma round "party Grill size" which is the larger size. We use it a lot, bbq meats, or with a wok on a "wok ring" that holds it with the grill removed. This works well for stir fry or curry. We also have a paella pan that fits just right on top of the grill for paella or doubles as a griddle. We have the optional legs set so it can be brought on shore to use on a table if wanted.
Steve W
Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #37
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
In the summer the cheapest propare BBQ I can find for about 20 Bucks that is thrown away at the end of.summer. In the winter with the stern deck canvas enclosed we use a George Forum electric grill.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. G. The only comment I can make about Mr. Marin's assertion is.....Yankees....
I grew up in Hawaii. That's way farther south than northern states like South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, etc. And in Hawaii, they're all called "barbecues."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
Enigma

Greetings,
Touche Mr. Marin.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned the big green egg. I was going to build a holder for a green egg and mount it. Is that going to burn my boat down again?
A lot of the "charter and head boats" working out of the Gulf Shores AL area have a green egg mounted in the cockpit. I'm not sure what they do with them, I guess grill fish for customers at lunch time?
Steve W

Steve is online now   Reply With Quote