Bayliner vs Westbay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stanfromhell

Vessel Name
Summer Wind
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
I am putting my Cheerman PT38 Europa on the market and moving on to a Pilothouse style boat for PNW cruising. The Bayliner 4588 and Westbay 4550 are the right size for my family but they look very,very similar. In fact it looks like Westbay almost carbon copied Bayliner. Can anyone provide some feedback about the comparable strengths, weaknesses, build quality, seakeeping ability of these two boats?
Thanks in advance
Stan

Last edited:
They are very similar looking.

Then again I think they are both probably modled after the 46 "Alaskan", the forerunner of I think all the pilothouse boats in that size range.

What's the deadrise on the Westbay? Looks shallow compared to the Bayliner

Westbay has always had a great reputation for build quality.

Stan, they must have some great "wacky tobaccy" in your area. You're joking, right?

The similarities between Westbay and Bayliner end with both being boats and both floating. There are more differences between these two manufacturers than similarities.

I have always heard that Westbay had a very good build quality. I believe that the entire run of 45 Westbays totaled less than 17 units so your at about one years run for a 45 or 47 Bayliner. The odds then leave you with about 30-40 Bayliners for every one Westbay so you are likely to see many more of the Bayliners out there.
One benefit of owning a Bayliner is the owners group which has always pooled information about the boats , their parts availability and the know how to both keep them running and on upgrades. If you want to learn more about the Bayliners just go to the owners site at baylinerownersclub(dot)org.
Similar to a few other boats that followed the 45 Bayliner the layout was 'borrowed' almost exactly.

Stan, they must have some great "wacky tobaccy" in your area. You're joking, right?

The similarities between Westbay and Bayliner end with both being boats and both floating. There are more differences between these two manufacturers than similarities.

So, are you going to share those differences?

I know nothing about Westbay. However, I do feel very good recommending Bayliner. I think they're among the least problematic boats of their years and to find that in a lower priced boat makes it more special.

GFC, I think you are comparing the Westbay Sonship zillion dollar late model yachts with the Westbay boats that were built in the late 1980's.

They are clearly, from the photos of the one boat that is for sale in the PACNW, not in the same category. What Westbay became, and what they were are only similar in name.

In looking at the photos of the 45' westbay, it is the almost exact same interior layout as the Bayliner 45/47 series. I'm suspecting that the Westbay was built to compete with the Bayliners that were very popular, and built "just down the road" in Arlington Washington

I'm not going to knock the Westbay but to my eye the jointery, and the rest of the interior is about par with the Bayliners of that era. Nice but certainly not of the quality of say the Grand Banks boats of the same vintage. Truth be known I prefer the Teak of the older Bayliners over the Oak that it appears the Westbay was built out of.

Westbay isn't the only one that seemed to try to compete with the Bayliner Pilothouse models so popular in the PACNW. Delta (a name known for their fishing boats) also produced a few pilot house boats. They as well look nice, but in the end they did not sell as well as the Bayliners and were short lived models in terms of production years. To me, and I am much better familiar with the Delta "copies", they were nice, but somewhat lacking in engineering refinement. I think the intention was there but there just wern't the dollars spent on engineering, that the Bayliners had the benefit of.

It appears that Westbay later made a name for themselves in the giant yacht market, and that is fantastic, but again, that came later in time than the model the OP is looking at.

Last edited:
I've never heard of a West Bay and hoped to see a picture.

Westbay 45 photos

Yachtworld.com has the listing for a Westbay 4500 pilothouse which caused me to think it was a Bayliner copy.

Last edited:
I'm not one who knocks Bayliners. I've never owned one but chartered a 4588 in the San Juans years ago and loved the boat. I have a few friends who own them and I've been aboard theirs. I think Bayliner offers the most "boating bang" for the buck of any of the bigger boats I've seen out there.

Kevin, you're correct, I was wondering if the OP was comparing the West Bay Sonship to the Bayliner. The West Bay 45' boat Hull #1 was in Seattle when it first came out. I looked it over but was not overly impressed with it. Nice boat, but lacked the Pizzazz of some of the other West Bays and many other brands (like the GB)

So, BandB, knowing now what I was thinking of (West Bay Son Ship), does my earlier post make more sense. It's not a fair comparison to compare Bayliners to any boat that costs a bazillion bucks. That's what I thought the OP was doing.

My bad for making that assumption.

So, BandB, knowing now what I was thinking of (West Bay Son Ship), does my earlier post make more sense. It's not a fair comparison to compare Bayliners to any boat that costs a bazillion bucks. That's what I thought the OP was doing.

My bad for making that assumption.

Yes, knowing nothing about Westbay, I had no idea what you were thinking earlier but figured it would be worth knowing.

It's nice to hear Alaskan :D

For those wanting a Son Ship photo, there are tons of them on Google, but here's one of my favorites...

moon.jpeg

It's a 63' Son Ship which is one of my favorites. I looked at them awhile back but there was only one thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on it....

My banker. Darn him anyway!

Bayliner fanboy here, so bring your own grain of salt. I have the 4788. The most significant negative of the 4588 is wood coring in the fly bridge and foredeck. If it hasn't been replaced yet, it will need to be. I doubt you will find a boat of that size with a better use of interior space. Hino engines are Toyota diesels. Good engines.

I surrmise that the coring gets wet from poolry bedded stanchions, cleats etc. Can the problem areas be found by tapping with a hammer or is a moisture meter the only way? Is it a problem will virtually all the 4588 or just some of them?
What material is the 4788 decks core ?

All of the 4588s had wood coring in the fly bridge and fore decks. No wood coring in the hull. All it takes is lack of caulk or caulking failure over time and the water will wick in. I'm sure a hammer would work, but you can usually tell because the deck flexes underfoot.

Bayliner made a few design changes on the 4788. No wood coring anywhere ( I think they used divinylcell), Cummins engines, no exterior teak, bigger salon, settee moved to the starboard side, eliminated the desk in the master stateroom, had a light oak interior option (yuck), and a few other things.

I think you can find 4588s in the low hundred grand price range. That's a lot of boat for the money. 4788s are around 200-225K. Still a lot of boat for the money. But like I said before, I'm a fan. ?

Oh, for more on the seakeeping abilities, go to www.baylinerownersclub.org and search the motor yachts area. You'll find a ton of information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom