Bayliner 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad I found this thread as I am to considering a 4788 but was wondering how the boat would act in somewhat rough water. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't been able to fully ascertain the hull shape from pictures on YachtWorld, but from what I could see the bottom is fairly flat without much of a keel and prop protection. Am I wrong? I too think the layout will work well and will be looking at one soon. We just need to get to the Bahamas in one piece and if encounter rough water can't have the boat coming apart. Thanks for any advice!

So much is relative and more about the operator than the boat. One person will venture far out when another stays at the dock. Bayliner will do as well or better than any boat in it's size and type. Am not aware of any coming apart. But rough water is your definition. I know many here who don't venture out in greater than 3-4'. Others of us don't hesitate on 6-8'.

Keep in mind the Bayliner was a PNW boat in it's origin. While on the trip to the Bahamas from Florida you'll most often see 3-4' with 6 seconds or 6-8' with 9 seconds, off the coast of Washington 10' swells at 13 seconds are not uncommon. You'll have to determine your own tolerance.

Yes, thanks for answering Sammy's questions as I am obviously not in a position yet to do so. We took possession yesterday and are provisioning, adding AIS and a few other bits and pieces. The weather looks like it has shut us down until Friday, which will allow a bit more time to learn the systems. PO has been awesome as far as answering questions and will even be on board when I fuel her today.

The discussion of rough water capabilities sparks my memory.

I remember reading a blog about a 44' Nova sundeck on which the owners were for their retirement cruising up and down the California, Oregon, and Washington coasts. These are fabled rough water areas, known for their severe weather.

The gal writing the blog adressed that issue head on. She indicated that she and her husband had never seen any of the rough water of lore.

That because, since they are retired and have nowhere to go they just do not venture out in rough weather. They stay in port and enjoy their lives.

When they actually leave port they consider the afternoon "sea breezes" and leave in time to avoid them.

Thats the joy of coastal cruising.

You don't have to leave port. :)

Last edited:
For those looking for a larger vessel fitting the Bayliner 4788 philosophy, the Pacific Mariner 65 may well fit the bill. Built and designed by the same folks as Washington made Bayliners and Meridians. Like Meridian, production ceased a decade or so ago for many different reasons.

... a larger vessel fitting the Bayliner 4788 philosophy, the Pacific Mariner 65 may well fit the bill.

Yup ... similar styling and ergonomics, and a larger boat of course, but the bill would be considerably bigger, 3 to 5 times bigger ... hmmm.

Yup ... similar styling and ergonomics, and a larger boat of course, but the bill would be considerably bigger, 3 to 5 times bigger ... hmmm.

There is currently one for sale in the PNW for about $500K.

Congradulations on your new boat, enjoy!

Cat, were you at Waterford Fri evening? The heaviest non-stop lighting show I've ever seen. We were over at Lakewood.
Will you keep it at a marina on Clear Lake? We are at Waterford, just wondering if we are neighbors.

Congrats on the 4788, that's a lot of boat.

Rafe

For those looking for a larger vessel fitting the Bayliner 4788 philosophy, the Pacific Mariner 65 may well fit the bill.

It's an incredible boat as is the 85. I'm still upset with them over discontinuing the 65 and now upset over them discontinuing the 85. Two great boats, but now Westport's smallest boat is 112'. (In addition to the two old Pacific Mariners being dropped, they also dropped their 98'.)

Well we had a weather window Wednesday and left Crystal river at dawn, 1-2 foot they said. 3-4 with a couple 5's I got. 3 gusting 5 they said. White caps as far as the eye could see I got. No precipitation they said. Thunder and lightning and the darkest night ever I got. We got the front quicker than we thought. No sh!t I said.

All in all a good trip. The weather laid down that afternoon about 2 which made us decide to head direct for Panama. Unfortunately about 2 in the morning the front hit. By daybreak all was good with the world again.

So we are anchored out with about 40 miles to go before Pensacola, where some upgrades/changes will be done.

Richard on Dauntless is my new hero.....

Well we had a weather window Wednesday and left Crystal river at dawn, 1-2 foot they said. 3-4 with a couple 5's I got. 3 gusting 5 they said. White caps as far as the eye could see I got. No precipitation they said. Thunder and lightning and the darkest night ever I got. We got the front quicker than we thought. No sh!t I said.

All in all a good trip. ..

That's how you know you got the right boat. Conditions worse than predicted but still a good trip. I'm sure it handled those conditions well.

Yes sir, the boat outperformed me for sure. The cummings ran 30 hours at 1250 rpm and managed to average 9 mph (haven't filled tanks yet to see consumption). She handled beam seas better than my Jarvis Newman but failed in following seas (at that rpm) but wasn't bad enough to have to add power. The real workhorse though was the auto pilot. I can not imagine owning a boat without one. and yes, I have heard all the arguments :)

All the good ones :)

Hey Dimer, did you put the trim tabs back up in the following seas? I thought the 4788 was pretty good in following seas...

Kevin Sanders, any feedback?

Rob

Yes, the tabs have to be full up. I love the boat in a following sea, and much larger than you encountered on this trip. The ride is nice and the autopilot can keep her on course.

I honestly don't run much at 1250 preferring 1350 or so. That gives me around 8.5 knots and is enough rpm so my Balmar alternator produces enoug current to recharge the batteries.

What did the boat do for you in a following sea? Was the autopilot no able to provide directional control?

I checked the tabs were up before backing out of the slip and never used them from then out. The auto pilot kept up with everything....never missed a beat but going that slow and remember, the GOM is shallow so wave period is super short, the stern would try to turn before being caught by the AP. Two things, I am used to the Jarvis Newman, with full keel and the BL rudders were probably designed for speeds in excess of 7-8kts! If like Keven suggests, I had gone to 1350 rpm it would probably have done a lot better. However, plan C or maybe F, was to make it non stop to Pensacola with 15% reserve. It was a weird/uncomfortable feeling but IMO not dangerous or obviously I would have done something about it. This was day ONE for us on this boat, so everything was different so please take my comments for what they are worth....probably not a lot.
My alternators kick on at 1200 rpm and kept up just fine. I had just increased battery bank to 600 amp/hrs which may have helped through "peak" periods.

I checked the tabs were up before backing out of the slip and never used them from then out. The auto pilot kept up with everything....never missed a beat but going that slow and remember, the GOM is shallow so wave period is super short, the stern would try to turn before being caught by the AP. Two things, I am used to the Jarvis Newman, with full keel and the BL rudders were probably designed for speeds in excess of 7-8kts! If like Keven suggests, I had gone to 1350 rpm it would probably have done a lot better. However, plan C or maybe F, was to make it non stop to Pensacola with 15% reserve. It was a weird/uncomfortable feeling but IMO not dangerous or obviously I would have done something about it. This was day ONE for us on this boat, so everything was different so please take my comments for what they are worth....probably not a lot.
My alternators kick on at 1200 rpm and kept up just fine. I had just increased battery bank to 600 amp/hrs which may have helped through "peak" periods.

You may also find yourself tweaking your autopilot adjustments a bit too as you use it more and finding different settings preferable for the different speeds and conditions.

You may also find yourself tweaking your autopilot adjustments a bit too as you use it more and finding different settings preferable for the different speeds and conditions.

Yes, thats something I did quite a bit of.

I also replaced the old Raytheon autopilot with a new Sitex unit.

This may just also be a characteristic of the boat. having just stepped off of a different style boat, IE a FD boat with larger keel... the motion might be more pleasant or just different in the "old" boat.

The way I look at it is if the autopilot keeps locked on, and we don't broach (which would unlock the autopilot), I'm happy.

Last edited:
All in All Dimer I'm glad you had a good first voyage.

What kind of work/upgrades are you going to have done to her?

Kevin, first off the center engine hatch. I just got into Pensacola so haven't had chance to look but hope there is also room to make the existing hatches larger to give better access to the outside of the engines. All the instruments are 183 and want to install a 2000 backbone. The sat TV, is apparently to old (2004) so need to change that out otherwise I will be cruising alone. Some canvas work and am considering that new 3M marine tint for the windows as I do not like those blinds.

You mentioned changing out your autopilot. Today I travelled inside on the ICW as it was only 40 miles, but big bodies of water. It was pretty calm and the autopilot chased the heading all the time so I disengaged and hand steered. I found I too had to work the steering to stay straight. So I may have air or something in the steering and that was why I felt the stern moving so much in following seas??

Dimmer2,
I highly recommend the center engine hatch and the hatches outboard of the port engine. Go to Bayliners Owners Club forum. There is a really good write up on how to put in the center hatch utilizing the existing carpet.

I do not have any good pictures of how my outboard hatches are built. I can take some pics next week if that would help. Let me know.

Woodsea, that would be awesome. No point reinventing the wheel!

OK, your autopilot seems to have an issue. The stock Raython autopilot is in my opinion just OK. I replaced mine with a Simrad unit.

Woodsea, PLEASE post photos of your outboard hatches!

Last edited:
I'd really like details on the window tinting. Brand used, percentage of tint, and cost. Pictures, too!

Thanks,

Rob

I will post outboard port engine hatch pictures this coming Wednesday.

OK, your autopilot seems to have an issue. The stock Raython autopilot is in my opinion just OK. I replaced mine with a Simrad unit.

Woodsea, PLEASE post photos of your outboard hatches!

Kevin, then why is hand steering also sloppy? Am I going to slow at 8.5 Kts for the relatively small rudders?

Woodsea, I will postpone the hatch modification pending your photos. I did a search on BOC too. Did this ever become a standard modification from Bayliner or Meridian?

It is my understanding the center hatch became standard around 04/05 on the Meridian 49. Did you find the write up on boc?

I don't know about the port engine outboard hatches. When I was looking, I saw them on two 47's and thought they were a great idea. It makes access to the all the important stuff on the outboard side of the port engine a breeze! When we bought our boat, a PO had already made the mods. It was one of the small things that attracted me to the boat.

Pics coming Wednesday.

Local golf cart shop had T105's in stock. When I arrived I saw these 12V golf cart batteries so went with them to replace the single 8D starting battery that was the house bank. 4x150 amp/hr = cold beer!

Attachments

• Batteries.jpg
    Batteries.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 80
Local golf cart shop had T105's in stock. When I arrived I saw these 12V golf cart batteries so went with them to replace the single 8D starting battery that was the house bank. 4x150 amp/hr = cold beer!

What designation are those batteries? I believe 105 are 6V.

My friend just tried to get 12V deep cycle golf cart Batts and Trojan plus box manufactures told him they didn't know of boxes that would fit them.

Back
Top Bottom