Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Very cool! I'm taking notes..

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #102
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Woke up this morning to a beautiful day so decided to go boating. We are now at Seabrook marina, just a few miles from the New Orleans industrial lock. If all goes per plan, should be in the Houma city dock tomorrow night, hopefully having a beer with Steve!

The auto pilot behaved perfectly today in nice calm waters, so it appears my settings are for "nice calm waters"....So as we are ICW bound for the rest of the trip, I shall play with it when I get home.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #103
TF Site Team

Another uneventful day (just how I like it). Left Seabrook marina around 7:30 and was in Houma by 6:00. The benefits of no bridge curfews on a Sunday were offset by the amount of PWC and fishing boats zooming around. The Houma municipal marina is a great little refuge and any boat size, with electricity and water is $25.00 a night!!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #104
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Another uneventful day (just how I like it). Left Seabrook marina around 7:30 and was in Houma by 6:00. The benefits of no bridge curfews on a Sunday were offset by the amount of PWC and fishing boats zooming around. The Houma municipal marina is a great little refuge and any boat size, with electricity and water is $25.00 a night!!
Nice facility and incredible price.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #105

City: Edmonds
If you have the ST7000 that came stock on my 1997 4788, the biggest setting is the speed. If you tell the autopilot you usually cruise at 16 knots it will react in smaller increments than if you tell it you normally run at 7 knots. You should be able to find the owner's manual online.

There may be more in-depth options, but that was the option that did the most for me.

Rob
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #106
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
irt's been ten years at least since I set mine up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
If you have the ST7000 that came stock on my 1997 4788, the biggest setting is the speed. If you tell the autopilot you usually cruise at 16 knots it will react in smaller increments than if you tell it you normally run at 7 knots. You should be able to find the owner's manual online.

There may be more in-depth options, but that was the option that did the most for me.

Rob
I believe in the basic set up you can select the vessel type. I remember using small planing boat setting. I remember three or four options. I chose this setting as I believed rudder response was quicker. It's been ten years so things aren't fresh in my memory.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I believe in the basic set up you can select the vessel type. I remember using small planing boat setting. I remember three or four options. I chose this setting as I believed rudder response was quicker. It's been ten years so things aren't fresh in my memory.
The key is learning what settings work best for different conditions, so you can switch quickly if your autopilot doesn't have memory settings.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #108
TF Site Team

Thanks guys, all good info which I will try this weekend when we get back to Texas. We are currently in Houma, fully provisioned thanks to Steve, who drove 20 miles to take us for groceries. He also took another trawler forum captain to get replacement fan belts (which ended up needing several trips). Isn't it great to be a Trawler forum member! Tomorrow we are going to try make Intracoastal city, 100 miles away but have a back up plan for around 60 and another at 80 just in case the locks/tows slow us down.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #109
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Tomorrow we are going to try make Intracoastal city, 100 miles away but have a back up plan for around 60 and another at 80 just in case the locks/tows slow us down.
Love that strategy. When we cruise we always have contingency plans. We never depart without having alternatives in mind.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #110
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Now following and Living vicariously through this thread about your 4788 Blue and Chelle :-)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum
Old 05-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #111

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Thanks for the info. I know nothing about the ICW from FL to TX.

How did you decide to make that long run all the way to Pensacola instead of the "usual" run to Carabelle? Is the ICW crappy between Carabelle and Pensacola?
I can only speak of the stretch of ICW between Port St. Joe and Fort Walton Beach. It is not crappy at all. Very well marked, peaceful, and lightly travelled (by both commercial and pleasure boats). And no drawbridges or locks. If anything, the only complaint is the lack of facilities along that stretch other than in the Panama City and Destin areas. Though I haven't travelled it yet, I expect the rest of that route -- Carabelle-PSJ, FWB-Pensacola -- is more of the same.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
I can only speak of the stretch of ICW between Port St. Joe and Fort Walton Beach. It is not crappy at all. Very well marked, peaceful, and lightly travelled (by both commercial and pleasure boats). And no drawbridges or locks. If anything, the only complaint is the lack of facilities along that stretch other than in the Panama City and Destin areas. Though I haven't travelled it yet, I expect the rest of that route -- Carabelle-PSJ, FWB-Pensacola -- is more of the same.
In general we prefer outside to the ICW wherever we are. That said, we found the GICW to be a very comfortable and nice area of travel. In most areas not a lot around it and somewhat short of facilities, but peaceful and easy to travel. It's more like canal traveling than the Atlantic counterparts, but without the number of inlets and traffic and exposure, less problems with shoaling, fewer bridges, and less congestion.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #113
TF Site Team

Well today was a long one, we reached Intracoastal City La after a grueling 102 miles and 11 hours. The wind was from the East 18 gusting 22 kts the whole way, except for when we tried to dock, I swear it was at least 40! Took me two tries and 'Bob' came over and helped Michelle with the lines on the second try. Forecast shows more of the same for tomorrow....I am kinda dreading fueling up as the fuel dock is even more exposed than the slip. This is the ONLY available fuel stop between Morgan city and Lake Charles (unless you leave the ICW and go up to Lake Arthur). There is a total of ONE slip here for transients, the others being used by oilfield personnel boats and Law Enforcement.....phone ahead if you plan on staying overnight here.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #114
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Well if it's too windy tomorrow you could stay there, drink beer, eat some Vietnamese food.

I see a restaurant called Phong Phu. Might be good!

😐
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #115
TF Site Team

Cardude, the only restaurant apparently closes at 7:00 but opens again for breakfast at 5:00. Now is this a fishing village or what. Sure glad we got in when we did. Another boat showed up and has tied to the fuel dock so they are fenced in. The next boat looked, saw there was nowhere to stay and has slowly moved on. They have a long night ahead of them unless a shrimp boat allows them alongside. I may need to open a small marina here lol.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #116

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Good to see you made it to I.C. Be sure and call if you need a ride or someone to talk to besides Michelle.LOL Just joking--about Michelle that is. It was fun spending a few days "boating" with you.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #117

City: brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
Good to see you made it to I.C. Be sure and call if you need a ride or someone to talk to besides Michelle.LOL Just joking--about Michelle that is. It was fun spending a few days "boating" with you.
Love the way this forum connects people with a combined effort to help

I'm following with interest from way south of you guys, in Brisbane Australia. A 4788 is my retirement dream, especially when I have all of Australia's East coast and barrier reef to visit [/QUOTE]

I travelled this area with my Dad in a 34ft sail boat when I was aged 15 in the 70's and have many places in mind to either see again or are yet to explore.

Safe travels and enjoy the new boat

Kind regards from down under
Mark
markic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #118
FF
Guru

"another trawler forum captain to get replacement fan belts (which ended up needing several trips)."

The ID numbers of the belts is now in the log book , and painted on the ER bulkhead?

And the spares are in an air tight bag?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #119
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. markic.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #120
TF Site Team

Boy learned a few lessons in the last 24 hours. We spent last night riding out the winds at the Intracoastal dock. I used every dock line I had before I felt comfortable enough to get some sleep. Woke up and all was good. The wind has subsided somewhat.....

Got to the first lock which is a mile from the dock and was told to 'hold' in the middle. Piece of cake, just using gears kept her right in the middle. Nothing to driving twins! Next lock was about 70 miles away and upon arrival was told to have the cable (pontoon) bridge clear me through and then hold short of the lock as there was traffic going to be exiting. I did but the space between the bridge (which closed behind me) and the lock was only a couple boat lengths. I fought valiantly and managed the winds for about 10 minutes when both the lock doors and the bridge opened and out came a six pack barge. I managed to keep from getting run over but his prop wash blew me all over. I was then informed to enter the lock and again 'hold'. We now have our very first "lock rash" despite the fenders. How humbling it all is. Currently anchored in an ox bow in Lake Charles, with the wind blowing us like a pendulum. I am thinking a second anchor is necessary. Only 56 miles to go!!