Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Well we had a weather window Wednesday and left Crystal river at dawn, 1-2 foot they said. 3-4 with a couple 5's I got. 3 gusting 5 they said. White caps as far as the eye could see I got. No precipitation they said. Thunder and lightning and the darkest night ever I got. We got the front quicker than we thought. No sh!t I said.

All in all a good trip. ..
That's how you know you got the right boat. Conditions worse than predicted but still a good trip. I'm sure it handled those conditions well.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Yes sir, the boat outperformed me for sure. The cummings ran 30 hours at 1250 rpm and managed to average 9 mph (haven't filled tanks yet to see consumption). She handled beam seas better than my Jarvis Newman but failed in following seas (at that rpm) but wasn't bad enough to have to add power. The real workhorse though was the auto pilot. I can not imagine owning a boat without one. and yes, I have heard all the arguments

Old 04-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #43
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Not all of them.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:59 PM   #44
TF Site Team

All the good ones
Old 04-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #45

City: Edmonds
Hey Dimer, did you put the trim tabs back up in the following seas? I thought the 4788 was pretty good in following seas...

Kevin Sanders, any feedback?

Rob
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:16 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Yes, the tabs have to be full up. I love the boat in a following sea, and much larger than you encountered on this trip. The ride is nice and the autopilot can keep her on course.

I honestly don't run much at 1250 preferring 1350 or so. That gives me around 8.5 knots and is enough rpm so my Balmar alternator produces enoug current to recharge the batteries.

What did the boat do for you in a following sea? Was the autopilot no able to provide directional control?
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #47
TF Site Team

I checked the tabs were up before backing out of the slip and never used them from then out. The auto pilot kept up with everything....never missed a beat but going that slow and remember, the GOM is shallow so wave period is super short, the stern would try to turn before being caught by the AP. Two things, I am used to the Jarvis Newman, with full keel and the BL rudders were probably designed for speeds in excess of 7-8kts! If like Keven suggests, I had gone to 1350 rpm it would probably have done a lot better. However, plan C or maybe F, was to make it non stop to Pensacola with 15% reserve. It was a weird/uncomfortable feeling but IMO not dangerous or obviously I would have done something about it. This was day ONE for us on this boat, so everything was different so please take my comments for what they are worth....probably not a lot.
My alternators kick on at 1200 rpm and kept up just fine. I had just increased battery bank to 600 amp/hrs which may have helped through "peak" periods.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
I checked the tabs were up before backing out of the slip and never used them from then out. The auto pilot kept up with everything....never missed a beat but going that slow and remember, the GOM is shallow so wave period is super short, the stern would try to turn before being caught by the AP. Two things, I am used to the Jarvis Newman, with full keel and the BL rudders were probably designed for speeds in excess of 7-8kts! If like Keven suggests, I had gone to 1350 rpm it would probably have done a lot better. However, plan C or maybe F, was to make it non stop to Pensacola with 15% reserve. It was a weird/uncomfortable feeling but IMO not dangerous or obviously I would have done something about it. This was day ONE for us on this boat, so everything was different so please take my comments for what they are worth....probably not a lot.
My alternators kick on at 1200 rpm and kept up just fine. I had just increased battery bank to 600 amp/hrs which may have helped through "peak" periods.
You may also find yourself tweaking your autopilot adjustments a bit too as you use it more and finding different settings preferable for the different speeds and conditions.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #49
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You may also find yourself tweaking your autopilot adjustments a bit too as you use it more and finding different settings preferable for the different speeds and conditions.
Yes, thats something I did quite a bit of.

I also replaced the old Raytheon autopilot with a new Sitex unit.

This may just also be a characteristic of the boat. having just stepped off of a different style boat, IE a FD boat with larger keel... the motion might be more pleasant or just different in the "old" boat.

The way I look at it is if the autopilot keeps locked on, and we don't broach (which would unlock the autopilot), I'm happy.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #50
TF Site Team

All in All Dimer I'm glad you had a good first voyage.

What kind of work/upgrades are you going to have done to her?
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Kevin, first off the center engine hatch. I just got into Pensacola so haven't had chance to look but hope there is also room to make the existing hatches larger to give better access to the outside of the engines. All the instruments are 183 and want to install a 2000 backbone. The sat TV, is apparently to old (2004) so need to change that out otherwise I will be cruising alone. Some canvas work and am considering that new 3M marine tint for the windows as I do not like those blinds.

You mentioned changing out your autopilot. Today I travelled inside on the ICW as it was only 40 miles, but big bodies of water. It was pretty calm and the autopilot chased the heading all the time so I disengaged and hand steered. I found I too had to work the steering to stay straight. So I may have air or something in the steering and that was why I felt the stern moving so much in following seas??
Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Salt Lake City, UT
Vessel Name: Kia Orana
Dimmer2,
I highly recommend the center engine hatch and the hatches outboard of the port engine. Go to Bayliners Owners Club forum. There is a really good write up on how to put in the center hatch utilizing the existing carpet.

I do not have any good pictures of how my outboard hatches are built. I can take some pics next week if that would help. Let me know.
woodsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #53
TF Site Team

Woodsea, that would be awesome. No point reinventing the wheel!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #54
TF Site Team

OK, your autopilot seems to have an issue. The stock Raython autopilot is in my opinion just OK. I replaced mine with a Simrad unit.

Woodsea, PLEASE post photos of your outboard hatches!
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-24-2015, 11:44 PM   #55

City: Edmonds
I'd really like details on the window tinting. Brand used, percentage of tint, and cost. Pictures, too!

Thanks,

Rob
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I will post outboard port engine hatch pictures this coming Wednesday.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #57
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
OK, your autopilot seems to have an issue. The stock Raython autopilot is in my opinion just OK. I replaced mine with a Simrad unit.

Woodsea, PLEASE post photos of your outboard hatches!
Kevin, then why is hand steering also sloppy? Am I going to slow at 8.5 Kts for the relatively small rudders?

Woodsea, I will postpone the hatch modification pending your photos. I did a search on BOC too. Did this ever become a standard modification from Bayliner or Meridian?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM   #58
Veteran Member

It is my understanding the center hatch became standard around 04/05 on the Meridian 49. Did you find the write up on boc?

I don't know about the port engine outboard hatches. When I was looking, I saw them on two 47's and thought they were a great idea. It makes access to the all the important stuff on the outboard side of the port engine a breeze! When we bought our boat, a PO had already made the mods. It was one of the small things that attracted me to the boat.

Pics coming Wednesday.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #59
TF Site Team

Local golf cart shop had T105's in stock. When I arrived I saw these 12V golf cart batteries so went with them to replace the single 8D starting battery that was the house bank. 4x150 amp/hr = cold beer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batteries.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	39530  
Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #60
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Local golf cart shop had T105's in stock. When I arrived I saw these 12V golf cart batteries so went with them to replace the single 8D starting battery that was the house bank. 4x150 amp/hr = cold beer!
What designation are those batteries? I believe 105 are 6V.

My friend just tried to get 12V deep cycle golf cart Batts and Trojan plus box manufactures told him they didn't know of boxes that would fit them.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote