Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Well, I'm tickled pink for you, Dimer!

BTW, you can borrow my color anytime. I don't claim exclusive rights.

I like your colors Al... But I'm a safety yellow guy myself.

That photo was taken Monday. Two days back at work from a total hip replacement and I'm out pulling fiber in the cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo of kevin working.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	39251  

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
My 2nd charter was a 4588 Bayliner many years ago and we fell in love with the boat. I'm one of those who uses the phrase "Bang for the buck" and that's simply because the Bayliner motoryachts offer a LOT of boat for the buck. Not that they're cheap, but they're less expensive than many of their competitors.

I've been a strong Bayliner proponent since that first charter.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:43 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Funny enough, after looking at a gazzilion boats, the two that really spoke to me was the Bayliner and the Defever 49. Two totally different boats in every way. The decision of course was made by Michelle....I just went along to keep her company
Old 04-17-2015, 02:44 AM   #24

City: Edmonds
Well, I just have to chime in! As a fellow 4788 owner I agree you made a wise choice! When you run at trawler speeds you can get between 1.2 to 1.5 nmpg, which isn't bad. The model-specific expertise on BOC is incredible. I like this site for the camaraderie of fellow boat lovers and cruisers.

Rob
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Bayliner actually was toward the low end of the price scale when built, but it's to their credit that they've held resale better than many other boats.
My best friend had a 4588 and we often talked about the relatively low price he paid. As I've stated several times before, "they are a great boat and yes, you get a lot of bang for the buck." As for resale? Some of the hottest pre owned boats on the market are the 45/4788 Bayliners.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
The decision of course was made by Michelle....I just went along to keep her company
You, sir, are truly a wise man.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Rock Island, IL
Hull Form of 4788

I'm glad I found this thread as I am to considering a 4788 but was wondering how the boat would act in somewhat rough water. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't been able to fully ascertain the hull shape from pictures on YachtWorld, but from what I could see the bottom is fairly flat without much of a keel and prop protection. Am I wrong? I too think the layout will work well and will be looking at one soon. We just need to get to the Bahamas in one piece and if encounter rough water can't have the boat coming apart. Thanks for any advice!
sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #28
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy999 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread as I am to considering a 4788 but was wondering how the boat would act in somewhat rough water. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't been able to fully ascertain the hull shape from pictures on YachtWorld, but from what I could see the bottom is fairly flat without much of a keel and prop protection. Am I wrong? I too think the layout will work well and will be looking at one soon. We just need to get to the Bahamas in one piece and if encounter rough water can't have the boat coming apart. Thanks for any advice!
The fact that Kevin has his boat in the Gulf of Alaska answers that question.

You won't find any worse weather in the Bahamas or even crossing the Gulf Stream to get there.

Congratulations Dimer2.
Sounds like you two have a great plan and the perfect boat for it.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #29

City: Edmonds
A friend I met on Bayliner Owners Club - Home named John Higgins shipped a 4788 to Australia where he lives. He has run the boat in 10-12 foot seas without issue.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
The fact that Kevin has his boat in the Gulf of Alaska answers that question.
Thanks!

I think the open ocean is probably the same most anywhere. There are good days and there are not so good days.

Typical sea state is 4-5' seas at 7-9 seconds.
Good days are either smaller waves or longer period.
Worse days are >6' and close together.

For us we always face these as a beam sea.

In the 4788 we apply power to plant the aft of the boat, this slows the roll considerably. Of course tacking back and forth works as well.

Head seas are easier on us, and following seas are a dream in the 4788. ive been in >10' following seas and never had the autopilot give up.

Seas are just what you are used to. Some cruise the ICW and delta areas...I dream of those kinds of cruises.

As for falling apart Just like most any boat, you'll call it quits long before you get into a real risk of loosing your boat.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy999 View Post
So much is relative and more about the operator than the boat. One person will venture far out when another stays at the dock. Bayliner will do as well or better than any boat in it's size and type. Am not aware of any coming apart. But rough water is your definition. I know many here who don't venture out in greater than 3-4'. Others of us don't hesitate on 6-8'.

Keep in mind the Bayliner was a PNW boat in it's origin. While on the trip to the Bahamas from Florida you'll most often see 3-4' with 6 seconds or 6-8' with 9 seconds, off the coast of Washington 10' swells at 13 seconds are not uncommon. You'll have to determine your own tolerance.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Rock Island, IL
Thank you all for the replies. This definitely raises my comfort level.
sammy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Yes, thanks for answering Sammy's questions as I am obviously not in a position yet to do so. We took possession yesterday and are provisioning, adding AIS and a few other bits and pieces. The weather looks like it has shut us down until Friday, which will allow a bit more time to learn the systems. PO has been awesome as far as answering questions and will even be on board when I fuel her today.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #34
TF Site Team

The discussion of rough water capabilities sparks my memory.

I remember reading a blog about a 44' Nova sundeck on which the owners were for their retirement cruising up and down the California, Oregon, and Washington coasts. These are fabled rough water areas, known for their severe weather.

The gal writing the blog adressed that issue head on. She indicated that she and her husband had never seen any of the rough water of lore.

That because, since they are retired and have nowhere to go they just do not venture out in rough weather. They stay in port and enjoy their lives.

When they actually leave port they consider the afternoon "sea breezes" and leave in time to avoid them.

Thats the joy of coastal cruising.

You don't have to leave port.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
For those looking for a larger vessel fitting the Bayliner 4788 philosophy, the Pacific Mariner 65 may well fit the bill. Built and designed by the same folks as Washington made Bayliners and Meridians. Like Meridian, production ceased a decade or so ago for many different reasons.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #36

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
... a larger vessel fitting the Bayliner 4788 philosophy, the Pacific Mariner 65 may well fit the bill.
Yup ... similar styling and ergonomics, and a larger boat of course, but the bill would be considerably bigger, 3 to 5 times bigger ... hmmm.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Yup ... similar styling and ergonomics, and a larger boat of course, but the bill would be considerably bigger, 3 to 5 times bigger ... hmmm.
There is currently one for sale in the PNW for about $500K.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Congradulations on your new boat, enjoy!

Cat, were you at Waterford Fri evening? The heaviest non-stop lighting show I've ever seen. We were over at Lakewood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
Will you keep it at a marina on Clear Lake? We are at Waterford, just wondering if we are neighbors.

Congrats on the 4788, that's a lot of boat.

Rafe
Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
For those looking for a larger vessel fitting the Bayliner 4788 philosophy, the Pacific Mariner 65 may well fit the bill.
It's an incredible boat as is the 85. I'm still upset with them over discontinuing the 65 and now upset over them discontinuing the 85. Two great boats, but now Westport's smallest boat is 112'. (In addition to the two old Pacific Mariners being dropped, they also dropped their 98'.)
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Well we had a weather window Wednesday and left Crystal river at dawn, 1-2 foot they said. 3-4 with a couple 5's I got. 3 gusting 5 they said. White caps as far as the eye could see I got. No precipitation they said. Thunder and lightning and the darkest night ever I got. We got the front quicker than we thought. No sh!t I said.

All in all a good trip. The weather laid down that afternoon about 2 which made us decide to head direct for Panama. Unfortunately about 2 in the morning the front hit. By daybreak all was good with the world again.

So we are anchored out with about 40 miles to go before Pensacola, where some upgrades/changes will be done.

Richard on Dauntless is my new hero.....