Bayliner 4588 prop turn direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can find a lot of detailed information on these boats and a bunch of current owners at the site: baylinerownersclub (dot) org.
Posting in the motor yachts section there will yield the best results for this boat, or perhaps just review the posts there.

Great feedback and thanks again.

DING DING DING! We have a winner. Thank you Smitty477 for answering my original question.
What an amusing thread.:banghead:

I saw no ambiguity in the OP and without being Bayliner specific, Ski, way back at post 4 came closest. The rest, well, classic Yogi Berra; "if you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Not directly related to the OP's question, but for what it's worth, from an article in PassageMaker:
"Counter-rotating, twin screw installations should always be arranged so that the tops of the propellers turn outboard, away from each other. If they are reversed, excessive centerline turbulence will be created, and the boat's handling characteristics will be detrimentally affected."

What an amusing thread.:banghead:

I saw no ambiguity in the OP and without being Bayliner specific, Ski, way back at post 4 came closest. The rest, well, classic Yogi Berra; "if you come to a fork in the road, take it."

But at least we know there are lots and lots of people that want to help here. I'll take the forks in the road vs other forums where there's just not much help. It's all good!

Thanks Brett. I will use "asymmetric thrust" "going forward"(and back, and around..:)). If I get the maneuverability I`ve enjoyed, it`s all good.
Remember the old saying"Call me anything you like, but don`t call me late for dinner". Seriously, I appreciate the help and careful explanations, and hope the OP gets his boat sorted.

Sorry Bruce I tend to waffle on a lot these days and the problem is I'm usually wrong. Dinner is at 1830, Brett

"Do both props turn the same way? Or counter? Which way does each side back?"

The "proper " rotation is for the top of each prop to rotate to the boats CL, but lots of boats get it wrong.

In other words, inward turning props. Or have I misunderstood you? Mine, and many I have seen have outward turning props. Seems it would be the builders that must be getting it wrong. I have been curious about the reasoning behind inward vs outward turning props and did ask a question on this forum a while back regarding whether inward turning props would allow a "side walk" better than my outward turning props, which seem very difficult for me to achieve a "side walk". In your opinion, is inward turning (proper) more efficient for propulsion? What other advantages would there be?

Back
Top Bottom