Bayliner 4588

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for the info. Like I said, I have been in sailboats for a long time and stayed away from power (unless I could get jobs were someone else paid the gas bill). I recently sold my 41 Gulfstar Ketch and decided to look into the trawler market. I had known about the 45 and 47 for awhile but was tricked into the cheap bayliner idea and so dismissed them. But, I always liked the style and so I have recently decided to take a look again and I am finding a very big surprise. These are pretty cool boats!! But I feel comfortable going slow and as long as the gas bill matches the fun, well I could see getting one of these.

Here is something else.

The other day I was looking around and I found this youtube video of a 47 that cracked it's hull.

Buying a boat - YouTube

The video is kind of long but if you go to 17:48 you can see they were crossing the Columbia Bar, I think, and they cracked the hull. 20:57 and 29:40 are the spots were they repaired it.

Do these boats have this problem or is that an operator error?

Here is something else.

The other day I was looking around and I found this youtube video of a 47 that cracked it's hull.

Buying a boat - YouTube

The video is kind of long but if you go to 17:48 you can see they were crossing the Columbia Bar, I think, and they cracked the hull. 20:57 and 29:40 are the spots were they repaired it.

Do these boats have this problem or is that an operator error?

This sheds some light on something. On a Bayliner specific forum we had someone that had just bought a 4788 and it started leaking in the same place.

I do not know if it was the guy in the you tube video, or a subsequent owner, but I think it might have been the guy in the video.

I know that in the final analysis it appeared that the boat had at some point hit something and that the hull damage had been patched.
I think, actually I am almost sure this is the same boat.

This is a unique situation and not normal for that hull. It is also the only hull issue I've herard of on a 4788 or 4588 with I think a thousand units in service.

7' 7 second seas are very common. What concerns me is that in the video they indicated that they went airborne several times. I cannot imagine going fast enough in a 4788 to become airborne once, more less several times. Something is just not adding up here. Looking at the video they are not in 7' seas. Much smaller.

Here's a core sample from a Bayliner 4788

hullthickness1.JPG

Last edited:
I agree ksanders. Something just didn't seem right. I was leaning more to operator error. Sounds to me like a potential legal action if the guy who bought the boat had it surveyed and nothing showed up. I would hate to be that surveyor. Note to self - there is a damaged 4788 out there that someone might be trying to sell. Thanks YouTube.

I know that in the final analysis it appeared that the boat had at some point hit something and that the hull damage had been patched.
I think, actually I am almost sure this is the same boat.

This is a unique situation and not normal for that hull. It is also the only hull issue I've herard of on a 4788 or 4588 with I think a thousand units in service.

7' 7 second seas are very common. What concerns me is that in the video they indicated that they went airborne several times. I cannot imagine going fast enough in a 4788 to become airborne once, more less several times. Something is just not adding up here. Looking at the video they are not in 7' seas. Much smaller.

Here's a core sample from a Bayliner 4788

Like Kevin I've never heard of a hull problem on one of these Bayliners and I don't think this one is attributable to the manufacturer either.

As to the 7' swell, I'm still looking for it. The conditions he faced would be considered rather mild for that area. In our brief time in the PNW we encountered 7' swells and 12' swells, some combined with sizable wind waves. Of our 4 times crossing the Columbia Bar, 1 was amazingly calm, 1 like the video, 1 rougher, and 1 considerably rougher. What the fisherman consider calm there, most on the East coast consider rough.

I wish the Arlington, WA plant was still open building those boats. To my mind there is really nothing on the market today comparable to them. The usable space for their size is amazing. While I'm bemoaning the death of the 4788, 5288, and 5788 I'll toss another boat that fit right in with those, just larger. The Pacific Mariner 65'. Common owner and common designers and you can definitely see it in them.

Back
Top Bottom