Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I know you are lying...never met an Alaskan with only one job...

Unless you work for the government...and even then your second job is recreational salmon/halibut fishing to keep the freezer full...
That's too funny!!! But so true!

I actually have two jobs.

I work as a telecommunications technician on Alaska's North Slope. There I specialize in digital microwave, and networking

And I also run a company that specializes in sales of industrial electrical switching, power measurement, and generator electrical parts.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
That's too funny!!! But so true!

I actually have two jobs.

I work as a telecommunications technician on Alaska's North Slope. There I specialize in digital microwave, and networking

And I also run a company that specializes in sales of industrial electrical switching, power measurement, and generator electrical parts.
Told ya so!!!!!

It's the spirit that makes Alaska magical...I miss it a lot and I only have 2 years residency and another 6 months in 2winter Arctic trips...but have seen it from past Attu to north of Nome in winter and the whole Aleutians from Attu and coastal all the way to the coastal Canadian border....man what a PLACE!!!!!

I've missed several million square miles of the interior and I still think it can't be beat for a lot of things....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #43
cwc

City: Mississippi
Hello, new member here. I have been looking at the 4588 and 4755 and saw this discussion. I know it is an old discussion but, wanted to see if anyone was still out there to answer a couple of questions. Going from a sailboat to a trawler I have been eying these Bayliners but, the twin big engines had me concerned . I really wasn't interested in a planning hull, more of a displacement hull as that is what I am use to. I am also use to the fuel economy of an engine that could barely push a sailboat hull. But, somewhere in this discussion a comment was made that you could run these engines in the bayliner at lower rpm's and, occasionally higher, and I am assuming that is not a problem for the engines. I was always under the impression that diesels need to work under a good load to be productive. Once you start using them less than their capacity they start to deteriorate. Is this true?
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #44
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I was always under the impression that diesels need to work under a good load to be productive. Once you start using them less than their capacity they start to deteriorate. Is this true?
Pure Apocrypha.

It is true diesels like to run but it is not true that diesels deteriorate under part load.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hello, new member here. I have been looking at the 4588 and 4755 and saw this discussion. I know it is an old discussion but, wanted to see if anyone was still out there to answer a couple of questions. Going from a sailboat to a trawler I have been eying these Bayliners but, the twin big engines had me concerned . I really wasn't interested in a planning hull, more of a displacement hull as that is what I am use to. I am also use to the fuel economy of an engine that could barely push a sailboat hull. But, somewhere in this discussion a comment was made that you could run these engines in the bayliner at lower rpm's and, occasionally higher, and I am assuming that is not a problem for the engines. I was always under the impression that diesels need to work under a good load to be productive. Once you start using them less than their capacity they start to deteriorate. Is this true?
The Bayliner 4588 and the 4788 with both the HINO and the Cummins engines has a long history of operation at displacement speeds without any issues related to underloading.

Best of luck with your boat search!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
Pure Apocrypha.

It is true diesels like to run but it is not true that diesels deteriorate under part load.
I would tend to agree with this for non-turbo diesel engines. Their turbo brethren need to get the turbo up and running with higher power.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #47
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I would tend to agree with this for non-turbo diesel engines. Their turbo brethren need to get the turbo up and running with higher power.
Both the 45s and 47s have turbos.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #48
cwc

City: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Both the 45s and 47s have turbos.

So are you saying that the 45s and the 47s do not have engines that can be run at slower speeds?
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So are you saying that the 45s and the 47s do not have engines that can be run at slower speeds?
CWC

I cannot guess at Blakes response to that question.

What I can say, having been in communication constantly with a huge population of Bayliner 45 and 47 owners, over a very long period of time, is that none of them have reported any premature engine issues by running their boats at hull speed.

None.

Nada

Zero.

Nyet
Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #50

City: Pacific Northwest
Same here - run at "hull speed" (~8 kts) for very long trips. Between 1400 and 1600 RPM depending on my mood. (1600 is faster than hull speed.) No problems for many years now. A bit less than 2 nautical miles per gallon. Could go slower and get even better.

Occasionally run up to 3000 rpm to make sure all is ok with cooling and fuel delivery. Probably also "blows out" the turbo and exhaust but I don't think my operational profile causes a problem in that area.
JohnWms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #51
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
CWC,
Perhaps the best advice on how to use a given engine is to contact the manufacturer and find out what the people and most importantly engineers that design, build and market the engine have to say. If anybody should be able to specify how to run an engine it should be them and if you do ask them I'd like to hear what they say.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #52
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
What Kevin said. I was just pointing out (in response to a poster) that all the Bayliner 45's and 47's engines have turbos if powered with diesel engines, so as not to have them waste their time looking for these boats with naturals.
Yes, there were a handful built with gas engines. Rare rare rare, but exist.

The reason I specialize in these boats is that I don't like to waste my time ( having money is better than not having any) that it's been my experience for the past 20 years I've been specializing in the big Bayliners is that they always fly through survey no matter how they were used or abused, which equals a commission check being cashed. There's nothing worse as a broker than spending time (years back before the internet!) and money (print ads were/are expensive!) on a listing to finally find a buyer- and it all being flushed down the toilet after survey.

Prior to me focusing on this marque I would take so called quality boats (Hatteras and Grand Banks come to mind!) through surveys, and the deals wouldn't go through as it would be regular to be handed a survey with $200k of needed repairs on $300k boats!

Then I started looking at the cars of the Yacht Brokers who specialized in those "quality" boats, those same brokers who regularly bashed Bayliners and realized all were driving old beaters (one from Merrit Yachts had a back seat full of McDonald wrappers!!), but the Bayliner salesmen over at the dealership (the owner I quickly became friends with) all were driving new Jaguars and Vettes. It was a "light bulb" life changing revelation, as I've always had Benz habits to support.

One of my longest best friends became a broker (after watching my success) for Ardell in Ft. Lauderdale, after working with Fraser in Newport Beach California. He closed one (1) big yacht in three (3) years-he made $150k on that deal, but once he paid taxes and deal after deal after deal collapsed after surveys, year after year-he exited the profession broke. In hind sight he should had stayed with "Chevy" as there's way more Chevy buyers than Ferrari buyers. I should say Ford as that's where he ended up selling cars- up in New Hampshire where nobody knew who he was.

TIME has proven that real yacht quality wasn't related to the price new, but in how they actually were built, and when it came to these boats, the price was low, which many confused people confused with quality- Maybe too low in buyers perceptions, which is why Brunswick changed their name to Meridian and jacked the prices up. Then those consumers finally had a expensive product they could be happy with, although it was basically the same boat-just a different name.

Time has been good to these boats and have proven them well built. They still fly through surveys (most of my foreign buyers don't even survey them), and unless the engines have ingested copious amounts of water, the engines do too. But here's the good thing about the engines on these boats, you can easily (floor boards in the salon come up-and out the door or windows they go) exchange them out for new ones with full warranties for $50k "soup to nuts" pretty easy. That's two engines. For those who mess with expensive cars, plane, and helicopter engines-that's cheap. That's less than many YACHT buyers pay for their dress watches (had a Chinese Meridian 580 buyer show me his $200k watch) or the giant diamond ring on their trophy wife's finger!

There's some heavy hitters that cruise around in these boats under the radar screen as it were. I started getting a clue when picking them up at the airport as they flew in on their own twin engine planes and jets. These people didn't get to be rich by being stupid!
You don't hear many Bayliner bashers anymore. All those stupid brokers -went broke! lol
Give me Bayliner and Meridian listings any day!! Ka-ching.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #53
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That was interesting PK and I saw lots of them in Alaska. In Pt Baker w socialized w a couple w a BL 45 and went w them to our next anchorage. They left late, passed us (w a big wake even at 9knots) and we rated to them in anchorage. Their boat was very rommy w a do die for wheelhouse. Really really wonderful wheelhouse. And their looks are top of the fleet I'd say. Nothing worth mentioning about the hull (above the WL) but having a house that is so beautiful in combination w that WH is an outstanding combination. I like the very soft Chines below the WL also. I can see why you like to sell them even wo the easy surveys. I could readily relate to a 32' version w a little rocker to the bottom.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #54
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Thanks for your insights PK.....

Over here the smaller models are know as 'Bin Liners'.
Translation: garbage sacks.

Never knew that they were well made reliable boats.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #55

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
So nice to see this thread resurrected! We have now had our 4788 for two years and absolutely love it. We have yet to see another fifty-foot boat that we would trade ours for. Our first boat here in the PNW was a Bayliner 2855 - three years with it and we knew we loved boating up here and we also knew we wanted a bigger boat. Sold the 2855 for a grand less than we paid for it and started looking for a bigger boat.

The Admiral took a tour of a friend's 4788 and ten minutes later told me she wouldn't let us buy anything else. We ended up finding a distress-sale 4788 in a hard-to-reach moorage with a lazy broker who lived two hours away and didn't want to show it because of the trip he had to make. Our low-ball offer was accepted and she was ours.

We had to make lots of (minor) repairs, and half of them were to address deferred maintenance and the other half were to repair screw-ups made during equipment installations by well-paid yards. No issues whatsopever with the factory build quality.

When I had my 2855 a friend who owns a Carver and is in the marine industry informed me that Bayliners were "disposable" boats. After ten years they were used up and should be thrown away. After we got our 4788 he and his wife came aboard for cocktails and after a thorough tour he quietly apologized to me. :-)

I find the 4788 very easy to maneuver around the dock, and we do not have thrusters. No issues (knock on wood) with the Cummins engines. Have fun shopping!
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

We've had our 4788 Bayliner since 2011.

What I've found is that it is a reliable, seaworthy, second home.

We boat in the open ocean, and I remember being concerned about that prior to purchasing the boat. I even remember a PM I sent to a friend of mine, another TF member worrying that if we bought this model we would become dock queens.

Nothing could be further from the truth!

Folks that cruise in the open ocean know that real 6 footers are more common place than not. Four footers are a flat sea. We have found that the 4788 handles these seas perfectly. If they are abeam, the application of a little power makes the rear of the boat squat a bit, and smooths out the rolling.

Having spent so much time in the Gulf of Alaska has given me experience and confidence in this model. I would have no problem taking our boat along any coastline, anywhere. With 600 miles of range there is literally nowhere in North or Central America we could not go in a 4788.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #57
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
PK-the fact of the matter is that Orin Edson believed that (1) building a not quite so fancy, but very well-built, boat and then (2) selling it at a good price was a pretty good recipe for success. Which explains why the backup at the Locks in Seattle on a summer weekend is about 60% Bayliners!

Too many builders forget either (1), (2) or both!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #58
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Having owned a 4788 and currently a Hatteras 48LRC I can honestly say that very few if any boats do better at as as many things the 4788 does. It's low center of gravity make it a very safe boat, It's flat hull shape make it very stable at anchor. I'ts light weight make it easily driven and quick for it's rated power. It's long enough to ride well in chop. and low enough to handy at the dock. There is a reason you see so many 4788's and it has nothing to do with price. They have a great layout and the access from the pilot house to the upper helm is quick and easy. You can entertain 20 adults and have seating for all. The boat is easy to single hand tracks well in most conditions. This boat does what most people really do with a boat better than any other I've been on. This is the one single boat most other brands should have build and wished they had.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Having owned a 4788 and currently a Hatteras 48LRC I can honestly say that very few if any boats do better at as as many things the 4788 does. It's low center of gravity make it a very safe boat, It's flat hull shape make it very stable at anchor. I'ts light weight make it easily driven and quick for it's rated power. It's long enough to ride well in chop. and low enough to handy at the dock. There is a reason you see so many 4788's and it has nothing to do with price. They have a great layout and the access from the pilot house to the upper helm is quick and easy. You can entertain 20 adults and have seating for all. The boat is easy to single hand tracks well in most conditions. This boat does what most people really do with a boat better than any other I've been on. This is the one single boat most other brands should have build and wished they had.
Well Steve

Nothing like an endorsement from someone that used to own one.

BTW I am still smitten with your Hatteras! even after all these years!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #60
FF
Guru

Turbos live long and prosper IF they are operating with some minimum boost.

No boost and its just a plug in the exhaust.

INDUSTRIAL engines , rated to operate 24/7 at a good load suffer from under

Car , light truck and farm implement engines have Auto style ratings , maybe 5 min at max hp , so are weaker than advertised numbers suggest..

Thats GOOD ! for most cruisers.

Rule of thumb,,, , 3 cubic inches for 1 hp at cruise , and it will run a long time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote