Battery Trickle Charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Looking for a smart battery charger to top off my batteries after a short run.

I don't have shore power where I dock, but I can run a simple 110v cord to the boat. I'd like to hook up a battery trickle charger to top off the battery occasionally.

Right now, I'm doing short runs and using power, and not enough from the alternator to top things off... and if I use a lot of power, I have to run the genny for quite awhile to recharge.

Looked at the NOCO Gen 1, 10a charger. Has over voltage and auto shutoff. Also, waterproof and spark proof. Others?

I'm charging 4 6v 210a batteries, wired in series/parallel for a 12v system, plus the start battery (can hook them together).

A 100 watt solar panel and regulator work great on BAGEND. We keep her on our mooring and have the peace of mind knowing the solar panel keeps her batteries up

Some inverter/chargers have a secondary smart trickle charge port built in.

If you've got the space for a panel, I'd also recommend going solar.
I've got power available at the dock but don't bother plugging in, as the 250 watt panel keeps my little fridge running plus the house & start batteries topped up.

Looking for a smart battery charger to top off my batteries after a short run.

I don't have shore power where I dock, but I can run a simple 110v cord to the boat. I'd like to hook up a battery trickle charger to top off the battery occasionally.

Looked at the NOCO Gen 1, 10a charger. Has over voltage and auto shutoff. Also, waterproof and spark proof. Others?

I'm charging 4 6v 210a batteries, wired in series/parallel for a 12v system, plus the start battery (can hook them together).

I might be ignorant of these things ......
Wouldn't the non-marine 110v cord be an issue?
Isn't there an on board charger than powers down to a trickle or even turns off?

>>>>>>>>>>Action

Have you ever given thought to replacing your canvas with a hard top and install solar? And yes, there are flexible panels also for consideration. Mine are not flexible

Thx for the comments on solar, and I'll do that when I can get to it. Just thinking a plug in charge would be quick and easy and provide some charging now. I use the genny for now, and to top it off it take many hour for that last little bit.

And shore power is not an option yet, so using the current inverter/charger won't work.

But thx for the thoughts.....

I don't see where a 12v extension cord to power a trickle charger would be an issue.... is it?

The Promariner Prosport 6 could be an answer......

The Prosport line comes in a variety of sizes. When I bought my boat, it had a 20A model. It was nice in that it was water proof and had a plug and could have clamps rather than being hard wired.

It wasn't the right thing for a boat my size, as equipped, but it was a nice charger and worked well. I gave it to a friend and I understand that it is still in use and working well.

Stupid question maybe but don't you have a batteries charger aboard?

L

T
I don't see where a 12v extension cord to power a trickle charger would be an issue.... is it?

The Promariner Prosport 6 could be an answer......

You have stated 12v here. Not sure how that works,

A boat in the water with a land based 110v ac extension cord is an issue, I thought. Land based extension cords are not rated for water usage, Unless you are using a marine power cord designed for the marine environment the connection nor the cord isn't rated for water usage.

And as asked above, don't you have a charger on board? Most of those chargers will change down to a trickle or turn off when the need has pasts, Plug the boat into a power source and use a marine cord. At least for the cord that is over water.

OK were in sunny Florida , but an 85W solar with charge controller keeps the batts up for 6 months every summer , for the past decade!

Noco makes a very nice unit but 10amps is light for that size bank. There is no issue with a 120 volt power cord; they are very common for small boat application.

The 10 amps is probably pleanty if the boat sits for days at a time unless you are drawing more than 5 amps while at the dock. I had a 5/5 Guest for years.

Permanently mount it. Isolate it.....nothing else connected to the charger / 120 volt side. Use one of these for your extension cord.
https://www.amazon.com/Journeyman-P...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GKSYC0SCPKA8E9WK4E8Q. Be sure that you have a properly wired 3 prong connection with a good circuit breaker on the shore side.

Last edited:
"Looking for a smart battery charger to top off my batteries after a short run."

Every boater here would be delighted to find such a charger, if it existed.

since the last 15% or so of a charge is quite slow, mostly dock or solar charging is required.

If choosing the dock, a smarter rather than a trickle charger might be best IF
the charger is large enough to keep all bilge pumps operating at once.

You never know!

"Looking for a smart battery charger to top off my batteries after a short run."

Every boater here would be delighted to find such a charger, if it existed.

since the last 15% or so of a charge is quite slow, mostly dock or solar charging is required.

If choosing the dock, a smarter rather than a trickle charger might be best IF
the charger is large enough to keep all bilge pumps operating at once.

You never know!

Yea, looking at a smart charger. ProSport 20 most likely. I'd bet that would keep the pumps running for a long time.

Check out the Iota DLS-55 IQ4. It comes with a 15A plug. They have smaller chargers also.

Al,

Great product and can double as a voltage supply to run 12v appliances for whatever... testing, pumps, etc. A smaller one would probably do what I need.

Back
Top Bottom