Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Newbie
 
City: Seattle
Country: Washington
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
Battery connections

Wondering about the best way to connect (24) 12volt batteries in series/parallel for a 24 volt system to achieve balanced charge/discharge? Lots of combinations
__________________
Advertisement

jlseaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,754
24 batteries in one bank? Wow! Consider breaking it down into manageable banks. Have to noodle on that for a while. Lots of connections equals lots of voltage drop across the connections.
__________________

__________________
Archie
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Newbie
 
City: Seattle
Country: Washington
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2
24 volt battery connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
24 batteries in one bank? Wow! Consider breaking it down into manageable banks. Have to noodle on that for a while. Lots of connections equals lots of voltage drop across the connections.
I was thinking of series connecting (4) sets of two. Then parallel. (3) banks in this formation paralleled to positive and negative busses from there to inverter/charger
jlseaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlseaking View Post
I was thinking of series connecting (4) sets of two. Then parallel. (3) banks in this formation paralleled to positive and negative busses from there to inverter/charger


There are a lot of ways to do it. Here is a website that I think you should read, and read carefully.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #5
Guru
 
syjos's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
There are a lot of ways to do it. Here is a website that I think you should read, and read carefully.

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

Thanks Dave,

That is a great website.

I attended a seminar in the spring where the speaker briefly covered balancing batteries and mid point voltage monitoring. The speaker was not clear in his description and had no drawings to illustrate. I did not understand the point of balancing.

The articles in the web site smartgauge is full of wiring diagrams and simple explanation.

I get it now! Will be rewiring batteries when I get home.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Thanks Dave,

That is a great website.

I attended a seminar in the spring where the speaker briefly covered balancing batteries and mid point voltage monitoring. The speaker was not clear in his description and had no drawings to illustrate. I did not understand the point of balancing.

The articles in the web site smartgauge is full of wiring diagrams and simple explanation.

I get it now! Will be rewiring batteries when I get home.

It does provide a great explanation. However, when I think of how to do with with 24 batteries to make a 12v system, my head kind of explodes.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:44 AM   #7
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 19,506
First question is when one finally dies , how many more will be ruined by overcharging?

Fewer large batts might be easier to have the same amps , check the big 2v Trojans

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/da...ata_Sheets.pdf

MODELL16RE-2V with Bayonet Cap NOMINAL CAPACITY1110AH @ C-20
__________________

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012