Old 06-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGreg View Post
Maybe there is a combiner in the mix and at float it is isolating the battery you are testing.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Maybe there is a combiner in the mix and at float it is isolating the battery you are testing."

Combiners require the batt voltage to somehow shown to the charger or constant undercharge is the result.

For most boats the RV setup , an $18. buck solenoid does not include these dangers.
Could be. The old style Combiners can drop 1V or more between the charging Battery and the others in the system...

Old 06-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Forget for a minute what the "battery monitor" says and use your DVM to read the voltage directly from the lead posts of the battery with no loads connected except the charger. They should be within 0.1 volts of the charger at float. If the DVM reads lower than the charger indication, you have a wiring problem no if, ands, or buts.
The only other thing would be the charger voltage calibration is sensing higher than actual fooling the charger into float early. You can easily check that by reading the voltage at the charger output terminals and comparing to the charger gauge.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
As we are in a trip up the northeast, and so far the weather has not been favorable, I really needed to get this corrected. So I came inland to New Bedford, went to West Marine, bought some cable and rewired the entire charging system to the battery bank. Once completed the battery bank immediately started charging, the charger producing current. So we're good to go.
I really thank all for your advice and steerage, for lack of a better term. On this boat you just can't follow the cable from the charger to the battery, as it circles through a bulkhead wall. Your advice convinced me to just re-wire my own system. Thanks again.
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Could be. The old style Combiners can drop 1V or more between the charging Battery and the others in the system...
You might be thinking of an isolator which incorporates a diode that can rob about a volt.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheBlue View Post
As we are in a trip up the northeast, and so far the weather has not been favorable, I really needed to get this corrected. So I came inland to New Bedford, went to West Marine, bought some cable and rewired the entire charging system to the battery bank. Once completed the battery bank immediately started charging, the charger producing current. So we're good to go.
I really thank all for your advice and steerage, for lack of a better term. On this boat you just can't follow the cable from the charger to the battery, as it circles through a bulkhead wall. Your advice convinced me to just re-wire my own system. Thanks again.
Glad to hear you resolved the problem. Sorry I wasn't able to answer you yesterday, I was in transit all day.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery charger, battery charging