Old 03-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #21

City: Plymouth
Vessel Name: Morgan le Fay
Vessel Model: KK 42
RE: the quality anecdote (thanks!), seems to me that battery terminal covers would have avoided the situation. Anecdotes for safety are really valuable as long as they are not given too much credence relative to their statistical likelihood. You are way more likely to die in a car crash than a plane, but which do you fear more?

I think if you have to strap down the box anyway, might as well strap down the battery which comes in it's own "box".

So far, in my mind the only thing battery boxes offer is possible containment and in some cases the ability to stand/sit/climb on the box instead of on the battery. Everything else can be covered by proper installation.
bridaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
AGMs will definitely outgas if overcharged, as my anecdote above relates. They are "valve regulated" batteries, not "sealed". If nothing ever goes wrong you don't need containment for them. And nothing ever goes wrong on a boat, right?
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Flooded lead-acid batteries can off-gas. I would want that gas to go somewhere other than an area where it can explode or cause corrosion. The link below gives all the formulas for figuring out box sizes and required ventilation.

Hydrogen Off-Gas & Ventilation : Technical Support Desk

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Flooded lead-acid batteries can off-gas. I would want that gas to go somewhere other than an area where it can explode or cause corrosion. The link below gives all the formulas for figuring out box sizes and required ventilation. ...
Commonly available battery boxes are not gas or water tight. They are only meant to provide some mechanical protection of the case, protection from incidental water exposure, and to protect the connections. They are also meant to contain any fluid leaks from the battery itself.

Hydrogen by itself is non flammable. It's when it is mixed with O2 that trouble can happen.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #25

I didn't want to steer the conversation too much, but I never been considering FLA batteries, only AGM and Lithium. If I'm going to replace boxes/batteries and redo everything, I'm not moving backwards. FLA are no longer a good deal unless you are thinking short term IMO.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #26

City: Dallas
Cover those Batteries!

As one who has experienced a battery explosion, I strongly recommend battery boxes with securely fastened covers. The gasses generated from charging storage batteries are potentially very explosive and can be ignited by an internal or external source causing the top to violently blow off and send pieces hundreds of feet. The sound is deafening, with acid splattered everywhere and raining down on everything creating a burning choking vapor in the air. Not pretty!
Bob LaPrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob LaPrelle View Post
As one who has experienced a battery explosion, I strongly recommend battery boxes with securely fastened covers. The gasses generated from charging storage batteries are potentially very explosive and can be ignited by an internal or external source causing the top to violently blow off and send pieces hundreds of feet. The sound is deafening, with acid splattered everywhere and raining down on everything creating a burning choking vapor in the air. Not pretty!
In an explosion like that, a common battery box may not help much. They are just molded plastic.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #28

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Literally two threads down right now

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...tml#post753457
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
When I replaced my batteries last year I went with batteries very similar to Angus above. I chose to use battery boxes however. The batteries are under the aft cockpit and that is prime space for storage. I want a solid cover over the batteries. I was able to find very reasonably priced battery boxes that are solidly strapped down. Works great. I think the key is where your batteries are going to be located as to whether boxes are advantageous or not. These are AGM btw.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #30
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob LaPrelle View Post

I had it happen in a '74 Jeep Wagoneer Cherokee Chief I owned. Luckily the hood was closed. A bad plug wire sparked everything off plus an over charging alternator helped. All of that was about to get replaced. I left the Jeep running to long and sitting in one place in the shop. There was no air movement in the building. It was a big mess.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You do require strapping to hold your batteries securely in place. This will prevent movement and save your connections from being forced to flex. A good, solid box designed for the size batteries you use will accomplish this easily and this is a good enough reason to put them in a box.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #32
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
huh, I though ABYC didn't require them for AGMs since they are "non-spillable".
Wonder where the electrolyte went from this AGM ?
Attached Thumbnails
battery split.jpg  
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Coast Guard requires that the battery terminals are covered even when the batteries are in an isolated compartment (just big enough for two batteries), but not in boxes.
There is no such requirement in Code of Federal Regulations Title 33, Subpart 1, 183.420 which covers battery installations.

If you have found another citation I'd appreciate seeing it.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Honolulu
Vessel Name: LUVYAPOP
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa Stinger custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
If I covered the terminals, strapped down the batteries properly, is there any reason to require a battery box?

Otherwise, how can you get the right size, truly make sure they are in some way water resistant (better than the battery itself) etc. etc. I feel that battery boxes are not really doing a lot for the trouble. Maybe they are a requirement?

I question the value of everything, if a battery is installed extremely well, does a battery box really offer any extra value?

I have seen very professionally strapped down batteries without boxes. So I don't think this is a dumb question....

Just a curiosity question for today.
When my boat was surveyed, the surveyor added to the "Essential Recommendations" list to have batteries in covered battery boxes. I'm fairly new to boating and owning a boat is a learning experience for me, so I wouldn't know the essential need for boxes.
LUVYAPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #35

I think I'm now with the "they are cheap insurance" camp. They still seem duplicative but if they protect against explosions..
Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaus View Post
I think I'm now with the "they are cheap insurance" camp. They still seem duplicative but if they protect against explosions..
How about going the next step ...... A very common recommendation in my surveys ....

ABYC "Storage Batteries" Standard E-10 and TP1332E require in part requires positive conductors be fuse protected within 7” of the battery or 40” if the conductor is fully enclosed with the exception of conductors running to engine starter motors. It is the surveyor’s opinion that this standard is inadequate and that all positive conductors should be so protected.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 PM   #37

Yes. The way I'd do it is one cable to bus bar fused at battery. Can't get that wrong. Nothing else attached to battery.

Current boat looks like an octopus stretching from the terminal. I don't like it.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #38
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is possible ventilation for battery boxes. Reading the "Battery Explosion" threads suggests fans, of some sort, may not be a bad idea. Perhaps small air ducts?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:57 PM   #39

I recently found that my 4D starting battery had literally blown apart one of the cells. I haven’t completely figured out why although I have theories, but it is clear being in a battery box saved me a lot of trouble, clean up, potential injury. There is acid and plastic bits in my battery box that could have been all over my engine compartment.
mmillerportland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #40
FF
Guru

Folks that have no batt boxes might consider Hydro caps that convert the charging gasses back into water.

They are tall, compared to std caps. .

Hydrocap |

hydrocapcorp.com/
Recharging a lead-acid battery The electrolyte in lead-acid batteries is a dilute solution of sulfuric acid in water.‎Products · ‎About Us · ‎Contact Us · ‎Store
FF is offline   Reply With Quote