Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #41
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Basic Trawler questions

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:*I can spin my boat in circles very easily.*
* I can do the same although I do have a big rudder. With a bit o Power she truns right around. Not so good in reverse.* Gotta love that prop wash.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

Ah the old twins versus singles.* And as they say, people will defend whichever one they have so... I have twins and love them.* They are beautiful.* If I only had one I'd have half as much to love.* And changing the oil on Saturday only took about an hour, and that was including dealing with onlookers, borrowing things from people, etc.* A small price to pay for TWO things of beauty.* AND I can stand in the MIDDLE of the engine room.* Who cares if there is a side to each engine I can barely see, let alone access?* Those with a single have a motor in the middle of the engine room.* Can they even stand up on the outsides of the engine?* What is the big deal with being able to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND?* Aren't you all stooped over??*

Ok I am being facetious, but my engines ARE beautiful and I do like having two as I can spin my boat in circles very easily.* You never know when THAT will come in handy.
I love my twins too, but...

it looks tight in there above the motors...* The outboard filters might be a PIA to change.* The dipsticks are both inboard I guess.** Are your fuel tanks outboard of the motors?* if so how do you get at them?* Where is the genny?* do you use it like a step like I do?

Also...* have you blown a tranny and got home to get it repaired on your good motor?* Got into a tight place 'cause you could motor like heck...* avoid hitting an a-hole on a Jetski from great tough old transmissions?

Sometimes I wish I had one.*Sometimes I'm glad I have two.

'Nuff said.

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 AM   #43
FF
Guru

"For example a Cummins 6bt 220 at 1600 rpm produces 155 hp using 3.5 gph
A Cummins 6bta 270 at 1400 rpm produces 155 hp using 2.9 gph. (data taken from mechanical enignes circa 2002)"

Sorry Jay the usual dealer Prop Graph disinformation GOT YA!

155hp at 1600 is what the engine could produce ,, on a dyno if loaded, but 3.5 GPH is all the prop installed can absorb at that RPM,.

THe con is the mfg props the boat for rated RPM at wide open throttle , and then uses a "Prop Graph" a simple table to claim fuel burn.

A better way to obtain some sort of realistic info is to see if the converter has gen set tables , then usually 1200, 1500, and 1800 fuel burn at load can be seen.

OF course if you could get a "Fuel Map" all and any questions would be solved.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #44
Guru

Sorry Jay the usual dealer Prop Graph disinformation GOT YA!

I don't think so. You* missed the point which is using the same mfgs info to compare similar engines. It doesn't matter if it's realistic to a boat or not, it's a comparison to each other using the same rules whether it's disinformation or not.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #45
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Basic Trawler questions

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

Ah the old twins versus singles.* And as they say, people will defend whichever one they have so... I have twins and love them.* They are beautiful.* If I only had one I'd have half as much to love.* And changing the oil on Saturday only took about an hour, and that was including dealing with onlookers, borrowing things from people, etc.* A small price to pay for TWO things of beauty.* AND I can stand in the MIDDLE of the engine room.* Who cares if there is a side to each engine I can barely see, let alone access?* Those with a single have a motor in the middle of the engine room.* Can they even stand up on the outsides of the engine?* What is the big deal with being able to walk ALL THE WAY AROUND?* Aren't you all stooped over??*

Ok I am being facetious, but my engines ARE beautiful and I do like having two as I can spin my boat in circles very easily.* You never know when THAT will come in handy.
who has to stoop??? mine has 5'10" headroom... I do have to bend over a little. I do remember those days with my* Grand Banks... crawling around on all fours to service the Iron Beast.. crawling over all kind of hot and pokie things, and my GB was a single and still a P.I.T.A. to work on!, so I sort of do remember your pain.* I do know that if a single slow boat ( like mine ) doesn't have a rudder as big as a barn door it will not turn around in anything close to it's boat length... a really big rudder is the key.* Oh and just for the record... I cannot actually walk around my engine... without stepping over the prop shaft!
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Friday 24th of September 2010 07:43:01 AM
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #46
FF
Guru

"It doesn't matter if it's realistic to a boat or not, it's a comparison to each other using the same rules whether it's disinformation or not."

The next place they get YA is with DIFFERENT "rules" for the prop graph!

One has to read and compare the different add agency graphs to be able to compare them.

OR its Apples and Oranges , and confusion.

THe fuel consumption will seem very different with each different set of prop rules.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #47
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
I made the mistake of going to a Seattle Boats Afloat show this past weekend.* This is my new dream boat (and, unfortuantely will likely remain a dream).
http://www.seaspirityachts.com/passagemaker60.shtml

So, if about 2 million of you would just send me a dollar each....I agree, I too looked at that and other great boats. Still, it looks a LOT like our Defever 49.* So, perhaps you could reel in your expectations and look at the 49, all while saving about $2,750,000.00* Sure you won't be crossing oceans, but with the pocket change you save, you could put her on Dockwise to about anywhere in the world, every year for ten years and still save money............Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #48
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:

Jenifer,* if you want to make those Perkins even easier to service,* convert the two CAV fuel filters to a spin on type.(especially the outboard ones)* Conversion kits are inexpensive and the spin on filters are less expensive and far easier to install. ...........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote