Barkley Sound in Fogust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwboater

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
Barclay Sound in Fogust

We had planned to circumnavigate Vancouver Island this summer but complications have postponed our departure from Anacortes until August 1. Too late in the season to circumnavigate but what about a trip out Juan de Fuca to Barclay Sound? I would appreciate feedback from PNW cruisers with experience boating in that area in "Fogust". We have radar and AIS.

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

On past trips, we didn’t get out there until mid Sept. and it was clear then. So not able to help much with regards to weather in August. I would think that its doable if you watch the weather, August on the inside was probably the nicest as I recall.

Richard, during high-pressure weather, you can plan on fog, especially in August (fogust). Many days it lifts by noon but not always. Same deal all the way up to SE AK.

Hi Richard:

It can get foggy at any time (certainly in July). It will be clearer inside than out and when the wind comes up in the afternoon the fog usually disappears.

The fishing inside is better in August! I am leaving soon and staying through the first couple weeks of August.

I chuckled reading the thread on the Gulf Islands. In Barkley Sound there is magnificent solitude yet there is a town if and when you need a taste of civilization (even a good restaurant, Norwoods!).

Fogust in Barkley and Clayoquot can be a problem. As many have said it generally blows off in the afternoon. But I did spend an August working up there and I swear we never saw more than 100 ft off the bow the entire time!

I don't know how much time you've got but don't limit yourself to Barkley and the Broken Group. The anchorages can get a bit over run. Clayoquot the next collection of inlets to the north is less heavily traveled. Tofino is a fun town for a break from the wilds but finding dock space is a problem.

If you can get that far Hot Springs Cove is worth a visit. It does get over run during the day with tour boats and float planes bringing visitors by the hundreds. Plan on arriving after 3 or 4 PM, walk to the hot springs and enjoy an un crowded a warm soak. Or if you're an early bird a soak just after sunrise, if you're lucky you'll have the place to yourself.

Thanks all for your comments. Just reaffirmed what I'm thinking too...foggy most mornings with afternoon clearing. I hate waiting for morning fog to clear! But we'll be revisiting SE AK next summer, so maybe a trip down the west coast on the return is in order. Another option, as Crusty mentioned, is to stay on the inside for August, then make the trip to Barkley Sound in mid September. I really appreciate the feedback, Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom