Old 07-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Until you get through the industrial lock, use change 16. West of the lock (as Steve said) is ch13. The coast guard is trying to get the tows to stick to channel 13 but it hasn't happened yet.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #22

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Barge passing etiquette

Pettit bois can be a bit tricky finding the actual anchorage. Not sure what your draft is. We've avoided it so far but probably a good anchorage

kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #23

City: louisiana
Petit Bois is nice and good holding but I have not been there post Katrina.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #24

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
When I first got LUNASEA and passing a tow, I went on the wrong side that I was told to go by the captain. He came back to me and told me the mistake I made, then told me to remember this" It is like driving a car, on the ONE stay in your lane, on the TWO pass as if you are in the car,"
kartracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I draw 3' 8".
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #26
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Red is port. Green is starboard. It refers to your sidelights. Tows use it a lot, as well as "one the 1 or on the 2" Glad you made it OK!
Good catch! He said "green to green" - I got confused when I wrote it. I definitely went the correct way
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #27

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Shouldn't be a problem then at Pettit bois. Looks like a good weather night too. I'm just partial to behind the isle DAUPHINE golf course. Pretty and protected with 10-12' on south side of cove.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Are Canadian lights reversed from USA lights? I noticed in Europe the "red right return" thingy is reversed to "green right return". Same in Canada?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #29
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
The main thing here is communication between the tug and you. If the tow captain knows your on the radio with him, thats half the battle. Many tow captains will give passing arrangements in two step explanations because they want no confusion. "Ill see you on one whistle, port to port" covers those recreational boaters who know the rules of the road and those who are unsure or don't know without insulting either group.
I can't speak to the GIWW tows or western rivers. Most of my inland work is in NY, Hudson river or long Island sound. What scares me and other tug operators is close approaches by rec boaters when there is no communications. I have no problem with 1500' Of wire out if a rec boater wants to check out our tow, as long as I know he is aware. Sounds elementary here, but it is REAL in my world. If I have a ship in tow, its like a magnet for pleasure boaters.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
The main thing here is communication between the tug and you. If the tow captain knows your on the radio with him, thats half the battle. Many tow captains will give passing arrangements in two step explanations because they want no confusion. "Ill see you on one whistle, port to port" covers those recreational boaters who know the rules of the road and those who are unsure or don't know without insulting either group.
I can't speak to the GIWW tows or western rivers. Most of my inland work is in NY, Hudson river or long Island sound. What scares me and other tug operators is close approaches by rec boaters when there is no communications. I have no problem with 1500' Of wire out if a rec boater wants to check out our tow, as long as I know he is aware. Sounds elementary here, but it is REAL in my world. If I have a ship in tow, its like a magnet for pleasure boaters.
When carrying a film crew to film a Weeks tug/barge dumping subway cars off Delaware...asked to cut his bow and the tug capt responded he was so used to little boats cut under his bow...he really just gave up caring what happened...

But he knew me and may have embellished a bit.......maybe not...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
East of the Mississippi River you will usually find the commercial vessels on Chl. 16 West of the River they will be on Chl. 13. In the River I believe they now use Chl. 68.
In your post you referred to them as barges and/or tug. Try hailing them as "tow" as in "west bound tow at mile marker xx". Typically if the wind is blowing an empty tow will want to hold into the wind other than that they will usually meet on the one whistle side. That will all change in the River, they empty or loaded will want to come north bound under the points and down bound in the bends. Unless the River is flowing pretty well and the bend is pretty great then they may flank it south bound taking up most all of the channel and you should try to wait below the point. Algier's Point between Industrial and Harvey lock is one of those spots and is occasionally flanked by large (greater than 25 barges) tows.
Safe travels
dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
East of the Mississippi River you will usually find the commercial vessels on Chl. 16 West of the River they will be on Chl. 13. In the River I believe they now use Chl. 68.
In your post you referred to them as barges and/or tug. Try hailing them as "tow" as in "west bound tow at mile marker xx". Typically if the wind is blowing an empty tow will want to hold into the wind other than that they will usually meet on the one whistle side. That will all change in the River, they empty or loaded will want to come north bound under the points and down bound in the bends. Unless the River is flowing pretty well and the bend is pretty great then they may flank it south bound taking up most all of the channel and you should try to wait below the point. Algier's Point between Industrial and Harvey lock is one of those spots and is occasionally flanked by large (greater than 25 barges) tows.
Safe travels
dan
When you say "EAST of the Mississippi" ...are you just talking Gulf and Gulf ICW? Or are you talking the Atlantic coast also?

Along the Atlantic Coast...Ch 13 is frequently monitored...at least from NJ to FL.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #33
Guru

No, I am talking of the Gulf Coast ICW East of the Mississippi River only. That is where Cardude is traveling. Locks of which there are none along that route until he gets to New Orleans (Industrial) are found on channel 14. Most commercial vessels west of Mississippi will keep a watch on 16 but the volume is down somewhat. East they will turn the volume up and go to a working channel when hailed. I always assumed this was do to the greater amount of traffic west of the River.
dan
Old 07-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #34
Guru

Kelbylinn: Dauphin Is. Golf Course anchorage. I had not heard of that one but it looks pretty good. Do you go South of Dauphin Isl and then back in the Sound at Petit Bois?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
When the workboats get to the coast they switch over from 13 to ch. 16. in the Gulf of Mexico.

PS. Cat Island is also a nice spot to anchor, it's a good ways west of you but maybe for another day or someone else, Details on Active Capt.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #36
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
When carrying a film crew to film a Weeks tug/barge dumping subway cars off Delaware...asked to cut his bow and the tug capt responded he was so used to little boats cut under his bow...he really just gave up caring what happened...

But he knew me and may have embellished a bit.......maybe not...
One of my earliest boat memories is being on the St. Johns in FLA and seeing two other pleasure boats pull right in front of a barge being pushed by a tug. They were completely out of sight of the tow when they did this, not that he could have done a danged thing if anything had happened to the boats. A ball cap came off of one of the boat passengers and the barge ran it over.

I was maybe 3-4 years old and wondering what was wrong with those people...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #37
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Many of the tows I have encountered would just say pass on the one or two. They may say I'll see you on the one. I have always remembered it like this: One whistle my port side. Port one syllable. Two whistles my starboard side. Starboard two syllables. Has worked for me about 40 years.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
One of my earliest boat memories is being on the St. Johns in FLA and seeing two other pleasure boats pull right in front of a barge being pushed by a tug. They were completely out of sight of the tow when they did this, not that he could have done a danged thing if anything had happened to the boats. A ball cap came off of one of the boat passengers and the barge ran it over.

I was maybe 3-4 years old and wondering what was wrong with those people...

Later,
Dan
All year long I hear the pilots in the Delaware Rive call recreational vessels in the Delaware River channel. It varies from nice to all but a full on curse out....and I fully understand.

There is NO reason a vessel drawing less than 10 feet should ever be in the channel. There is plenty of water either side of the channel and I find recreational vessels in it all but the lowest forms of life for intelligence.

I can see why commercial guys having little respect for rec guys and there are certainly enough clueless rec capts to solidify that feeling.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #39

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Passing barges?

We don't pass them .. they pass us. And we get the hell out of the way.
Story of my 5.5 to 6 knot life! I often suffer the indignity of being passed by sailboats and yes, barges too!

This is a very informative thread.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #40
Guru

Be careful of the ones tending the end of a dredge pipe run.

One forced me up on a mud bank without so much as a call or response to my call.

I put out a securite' outlining his belligerence and when he belittled a following cruiser about a mile behind me...I called the cruiser and reminded him of the Colregs and the complete disregard for safety the tug guy displayed and not to worry.

I hope a thousand other boaters enjoyed the conversation and the USCG recorded it all.