Old 02-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Chattanooga area marinas

We are coming from Pickwick Lake to Chattanooga in March. We need to leave our boat in the area for two or three weeks in April. From what I can tell, the marinas in Chattanooga aren’t really set up to leave a boat for that long. Can anyone recommend a good place in the area?

Island Cove looks pretty good.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Paul
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Blue Water Bay Marina is up river from Island Cove and one of our favorites in that area.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Could check with Erwin Marine. They own several marina's in the area.

https://www.erwinmarinesales.com/
SJ21XDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #4

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
Island Cove is a well run marina that should be able to put you up. Erwin is good too. Shady grove is good but rarely has room for transients away from their fuel dock. Harbor lights used to be good, but I don't have any recent info. Hales Bar shows nicely on the web but doesn't live up (downstream of Chattanooga). Pine Harbor is OK if you can get under the 16' bridge; nice restaurant. All of these are upstream of Chickamauga Dam; Erwin has a facility at downtown Chattanooga but the dockage as unprotected - OK for a night or two for tourism but I wouldn't leave my boat there for any length, pricey too.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Blue Water Bay Marina is up river from Island Cove and one of our favorites in that area.
I can’t find it on AC or a Google search. Do you know if they have a website?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I can’t find it on AC or a Google search. Do you know if they have a website?
Blue Water RV Resort & Marina | Tennessee RV Park and Hotel Dayton TN

It's also on AC. Search "Dayton" and select TN.

We liked Island Cove. The convenience of Harrison Bay State Park really makes it a nice place to spend some time.

As you move up to Island Cove or Blue Water, you're really getting a bit out of Chattanooga, so will definitely need a rental vehicle. Erwin's Chickamauga, Gold Point and Pine Harbor, along with Lakeshore are more convenient but limited for transients. Erwin's Chattanooga location on Lake Nickajack is the only real downtown Chattanooga facility and so very convenient. Chattanooga has so much to see near there. Someone mentioned exposed, but I'd have to come back with "to what?" Yes, it is exposed to river traffic but nothing severe and in a narrow, winding river section, typically very calm. I'd definitely talk to them.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #7

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
Exposed:All slips are exposed to wakes from river traffic, and 30+ footers frequently ignore the no wake zone. I have been waked so hard that three of four (tube) fenders were forced out of position and provided me with a pronounced hull scrape (I'm still looking for that blue hulled Sabre). On a summer weekend, it is not a low traffic area.

Exposed: If you don't get one of the few (6? 8?) slips "on the bluff", there is no security from foot traffic from downtown Chattanooga.

That being said; for me it is a nice boat ride and Chattanooga has a lot of entertainment to offer within walking or free shuttle distance. I get a slip on the bluff behind a locked gate, deploy specially purchased ball fenders, and put up with the noisy automobile traffic crossing the bridges for a couple of days.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJohn View Post
Exposed:All slips are exposed to wakes from river traffic, and 30+ footers frequently ignore the no wake zone. I have been waked so hard that three of four (tube) fenders were forced out of position and provided me with a pronounced hull scrape (I'm still looking for that blue hulled Sabre). On a summer weekend, it is not a low traffic area.

Exposed: If you don't get one of the few (6? 8?) slips "on the bluff", there is no security from foot traffic from downtown Chattanooga.

That being said; for me it is a nice boat ride and Chattanooga has a lot of entertainment to offer within walking or free shuttle distance. I get a slip on the bluff behind a locked gate, deploy specially purchased ball fenders, and put up with the noisy automobile traffic crossing the bridges for a couple of days.
Wifey B: It's worth it to take the extra precautions. You know boats will wake it so you tie and fender and position assuming that. On the foot traffic, don't forget those who get confused over which dock is for the tour boats. We love Island Cove, but the convenience of downtown is incredible too. And love love love the Aquarium.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Drake, my bad, I meant bluespringsmarina.com it’s at Tennessee river mile marker 547.5, 866-376-7298.
They have a great ships store, on site restaurant, haul out capibilities, mechanics covered and open slips.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Drake, my bad, I meant bluespringsmarina.com it’s at Tennessee river mile marker 547.5, 866-376-7298.
They have a great ships store, on site restaurant, haul out capibilities, mechanics covered and open slips.
The only Blue Springs Marina I know is on Watts Bar Lake. It's at 10 Mile Tennessee. Dayton also is a remote location that is definitely not considered the Chattanooga area.

The downtown Ross' Landing Marina is a winner if you are on the boat. Then move it up to Island Cove for storage.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Found it. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The downtown Ross' Landing Marina is a winner if you are on the boat. Then move it up to Island Cove for storage.
That’s what we’re beginning to think is the best idea. We’ll spend a week or two in Chattanooga, then move the boat to Island Cove when we have to leave it unattended.

Paul