Old 12-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Guru

Bahamas - What am i missing?

So this question is for the southeastern boaters, with the Bahamas so close to Florida why don't I hear alot about the islands being "the best place to visit with a boat"?

We continue to discuss and plan our ICW trip (in the future) and watch TV shows about home buying in the Bahamas which shows unbelievable cruising destinations you could spend years exploring. What am I missing regarding the lack of posts on TF related to these islands?

John T.
Helmsman 38E - Maria Elena

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Everyone is trying to keep it a secret. Don’t want it to get too crowded.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

City: Shellman Bluff, GA
ssshhhhhhh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Everyone is trying to keep it a secret. Don’t want it to get too crowded.
sapelo son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Florida
Vessel Model: "Ho"made
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
So this question is for the southeastern boaters, with the Bahamas so close to Florida why don't I hear alot about the islands being "the best place to visit with a boat"?

We continue to discuss and plan our ICW trip (in the future) and watch TV shows about home buying in the Bahamas which shows unbelievable cruising destinations you could spend years exploring. What am I missing regarding the lack of posts on TF related to these islands?

John T.
Huh?...Maybe because your on west coast?.... If your over here it is widely known, talked about a lot......
How come I don't here about going to Catalina as a Florida boater...
Old 12-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

John T.
I don't know why you're not hearing as certainly in South Florida it's no secret and extremely popular. I would list it at one of the greatest advantages of living in South Florida as a boater. We're in the Abacos right now. Elbow Cay actually. So far this trip to Atlantis or Paradise Island off Nassau, to Marsh Harbour to Hope Town which will be followed by Treasure Cay. Just having hundreds of islands, all a little different, is like going to a candy store as a kid.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Huh?...Maybe because your on west coast?.... If your over here it is widely known, talked about a lot......
How come I don't here about going to Catalina as a Florida boater...
I have to laugh a bit as we went when we were on the west coast and felt a bit sorry for everyone only having the one primary island to go to.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I have to laugh a bit as we went when we were on the west coast and felt a bit sorry for everyone only having the one primary island to go to.
This is why we bought our boat in Florida and not in San Diego........
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Have you checked out the "Cruising and Events - East Coast" forum?

Another reason that there aren't hundreds of threads is that "we just do it!"
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
Guru

Bahamas

Thanks for the responses and confirming these islands are great destinations. As one TF posted "you don't hear much about Catalina on the east coast" for a good reason. Having grown up on Long Island, NY I can agree boating on the west coast doesn't come close to the east coast in many ways. While we may have some of the worlds best year round weather here in San Diego our cruising destinations are very limited.

Sitting in the PH today looking out the windows makes me wish we were Bahama bound.....

John T
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Well, cruising to the Bahamas takes some b*&^%s and should be done with a healthy bit of caution. Crossing the Gulf Stream isn't always a cake walk but it can be. Then when you get over there you don't have any where near the number and range of services to deal with boat problems. Bahamas cruisers have to be good sailors that can manage most problems independently.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Thanks for the responses and confirming these islands are great destinations. As one TF posted "you don't hear much about Catalina on the east coast" for a good reason. Having grown up on Long Island, NY I can agree boating on the west coast doesn't come close to the east coast in many ways. While we may have some of the worlds best year round weather here in San Diego our cruising destinations are very limited.

Sitting in the PH today looking out the windows makes me wish we were Bahama bound.....

John T
The "west coast" does include the area from Puget Sound to Alaska. That is a much larger cruising area than anywhere on the east coast. Then there is Mexico.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the Bahamas, of course you would go if it was close, and it depends a lot on what you like. On the east coast, I found the Caribbean from about the Virgin Islands south, and from Maine north to Newfoundland much more interesting that the rest of it. That makes it pretty similar to the west coast. And again that's me.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
The "west coast" does include the area from Puget Sound to Alaska. That is a much larger cruising area than anywhere on the east coast. Then there is Mexico.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the Bahamas, of course you would go if it was close, and it depends a lot on what you like. On the east coast, I found the Caribbean from about the Virgin Islands south, and from Maine north to Newfoundland much more interesting that the rest of it. That makes it pretty similar to the west coast. And again that's me.
The South East Coast cruising area does include the area from Walkers Cay to Aruba, including Cuba, Dominican Republic and The Caymans. And that is probably less of a trip that Puget Sound to "Alaska," however you are defining the "Alaska" cruising area.

A fact you may not be aware of, the standard insurance coverage for us who boat in this area and don't want to leave during Hurricane Season is as far south at the T&Cs. Further south is an add on. But in our boats very doable. In fact watch this space over the next few years as we plan to do just that!

Many boaters, mostly sail boats, do that on a constant basis.

And the MAIN POINT to me that you are, probably purposely, excluding, is that we can do this very comfortably 12 months of the year. How does that work in the "Puget Sound to Alaska area?"

It is great that you are proud of your cruising area, but please don't be silly in your comparison to the SE Coast!
Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
BandB, everyone knows the West Coast is much better for cruising than the East Coast! Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge.

I hear all you need to cruise to Catalina is water wings and a guitar.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #14

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
If you want to know what cruising the Bahamas is like, I think these people captured it perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/user/RideauCShel

Not all their videos are in the Bahamas, but the Bahamas ones that really capture the feeling perfectly.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Dog View Post
If you want to know what cruising the Bahamas is like, I think these people captured it perfectly: https://www.youtube.com/user/RideauCShel

Not all their videos are in the Bahamas, but the Bahamas ones that really capture the feeling perfectly.
Hey. come on now. What about promoting one of your own!!

All Posts | AtAnchor.com
Old 12-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 4061. Can't really comment on the lack of posts but I can tell you, if you've never been there, is you're missing the bakeries. This is one of the ones we patronize in Bimini. Indeed, a taste of heaven...

Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: South Florida
Ahhh Man, you told him about Bimini Bread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 4061. Can't really comment on the lack of posts but I can tell you, if you've never been there, is you're missing the bakeries. This is one of the ones we patronize in Bimini. Indeed, a taste of heaven...

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #19
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Well, cruising to the Bahamas takes some b*&^%s and should be done with a healthy bit of caution. Crossing the Gulf Stream isn't always a cake walk but it can be. Then when you get over there you don't have any where near the number and range of services to deal with boat problems. Bahamas cruisers have to be good sailors that can manage most problems independently.

David
That's right. Especially if you take a 16' boat, a jetski, a hobecat or even swim across. Which have all been done!
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 AM   #20
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Better or worse? I don't know about that. Different for sure.