Bahamas - What am i missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
So this question is for the southeastern boaters, with the Bahamas so close to Florida why don't I hear alot about the islands being "the best place to visit with a boat"?

We continue to discuss and plan our ICW trip (in the future) and watch TV shows about home buying in the Bahamas which shows unbelievable cruising destinations you could spend years exploring. What am I missing regarding the lack of posts on TF related to these islands?

John T.
Helmsman 38E - Maria Elena

Everyone is trying to keep it a secret. Don’t want it to get too crowded.

So this question is for the southeastern boaters, with the Bahamas so close to Florida why don't I hear alot about the islands being "the best place to visit with a boat"?

We continue to discuss and plan our ICW trip (in the future) and watch TV shows about home buying in the Bahamas which shows unbelievable cruising destinations you could spend years exploring. What am I missing regarding the lack of posts on TF related to these islands?

John T.

Huh?...Maybe because your on west coast?.... If your over here it is widely known, talked about a lot......
How come I don't here about going to Catalina as a Florida boater...

John T.

I don't know why you're not hearing as certainly in South Florida it's no secret and extremely popular. I would list it at one of the greatest advantages of living in South Florida as a boater. We're in the Abacos right now. Elbow Cay actually. So far this trip to Atlantis or Paradise Island off Nassau, to Marsh Harbour to Hope Town which will be followed by Treasure Cay. Just having hundreds of islands, all a little different, is like going to a candy store as a kid.

Huh?...Maybe because your on west coast?.... If your over here it is widely known, talked about a lot......
How come I don't here about going to Catalina as a Florida boater...

I have to laugh a bit as we went when we were on the west coast and felt a bit sorry for everyone only having the one primary island to go to.

I have to laugh a bit as we went when we were on the west coast and felt a bit sorry for everyone only having the one primary island to go to.

This is why we bought our boat in Florida and not in San Diego........

Have you checked out the "Cruising and Events - East Coast" forum?

Another reason that there aren't hundreds of threads is that "we just do it!"

Bahamas

Thanks for the responses and confirming these islands are great destinations. As one TF posted "you don't hear much about Catalina on the east coast" for a good reason. Having grown up on Long Island, NY I can agree boating on the west coast doesn't come close to the east coast in many ways. While we may have some of the worlds best year round weather here in San Diego our cruising destinations are very limited.

Sitting in the PH today looking out the windows makes me wish we were Bahama bound.....

John T

Well, cruising to the Bahamas takes some b*&^%s and should be done with a healthy bit of caution. Crossing the Gulf Stream isn't always a cake walk but it can be. Then when you get over there you don't have any where near the number and range of services to deal with boat problems. Bahamas cruisers have to be good sailors that can manage most problems independently.

David

Thanks for the responses and confirming these islands are great destinations. As one TF posted "you don't hear much about Catalina on the east coast" for a good reason. Having grown up on Long Island, NY I can agree boating on the west coast doesn't come close to the east coast in many ways. While we may have some of the worlds best year round weather here in San Diego our cruising destinations are very limited.

Sitting in the PH today looking out the windows makes me wish we were Bahama bound.....

John T

The "west coast" does include the area from Puget Sound to Alaska. That is a much larger cruising area than anywhere on the east coast. Then there is Mexico.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the Bahamas, of course you would go if it was close, and it depends a lot on what you like. On the east coast, I found the Caribbean from about the Virgin Islands south, and from Maine north to Newfoundland much more interesting that the rest of it. That makes it pretty similar to the west coast. And again that's me.

The "west coast" does include the area from Puget Sound to Alaska. That is a much larger cruising area than anywhere on the east coast. Then there is Mexico.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in the Bahamas, of course you would go if it was close, and it depends a lot on what you like. On the east coast, I found the Caribbean from about the Virgin Islands south, and from Maine north to Newfoundland much more interesting that the rest of it. That makes it pretty similar to the west coast. And again that's me.

The South East Coast cruising area does include the area from Walkers Cay to Aruba, including Cuba, Dominican Republic and The Caymans. And that is probably less of a trip that Puget Sound to "Alaska," however you are defining the "Alaska" cruising area.

A fact you may not be aware of, the standard insurance coverage for us who boat in this area and don't want to leave during Hurricane Season is as far south at the T&Cs. Further south is an add on. But in our boats very doable. In fact watch this space over the next few years as we plan to do just that!

Many boaters, mostly sail boats, do that on a constant basis.

And the MAIN POINT to me that you are, probably purposely, excluding, is that we can do this very comfortably 12 months of the year. How does that work in the "Puget Sound to Alaska area?"

It is great that you are proud of your cruising area, but please don't be silly in your comparison to the SE Coast!

Last edited:
BandB, everyone knows the West Coast is much better for cruising than the East Coast! Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge.

I hear all you need to cruise to Catalina is water wings and a guitar.:D

Greetings,
Mr. 4061. Can't really comment on the lack of posts but I can tell you, if you've never been there, is you're missing the bakeries. This is one of the ones we patronize in Bimini. Indeed, a taste of heaven...

a-taste-of-heaven-bakery.jpg

Ahhh Man, you told him about Bimini Bread!! :banghead:

Greetings,
Mr. 4061. Can't really comment on the lack of posts but I can tell you, if you've never been there, is you're missing the bakeries. This is one of the ones we patronize in Bimini. Indeed, a taste of heaven...

a-taste-of-heaven-bakery.jpg

Well, cruising to the Bahamas takes some b*&^%s and should be done with a healthy bit of caution. Crossing the Gulf Stream isn't always a cake walk but it can be. Then when you get over there you don't have any where near the number and range of services to deal with boat problems. Bahamas cruisers have to be good sailors that can manage most problems independently.

David

That's right. Especially if you take a 16' boat, a jetski, a hobecat or even swim across. Which have all been done!

Say what?

Try heading north, through BC and SE Alaska :D

In one sentence...World class fishing, diving, boating and exploring all in the tropics. More specifically, more than 100,000 sq miles of turquoise blue water, approximately 700 islands, 30 of which are inhabited and have places for cruisers to plug yellow umbilicals allowing for a comfortable stay. If that’s not your thing then there remain another 660 plus cays and 2400 dry spots to explore and twice that number which dry out for a few hours near low tide. Additionally the topography also happens to be limestone karst which means lots of blue holes and underwater cave systems offering further exploration opportunities for those so inclined. Bottom line If you ever get a chance to fly over the area and you say to yourself wow I’d like to see that up close on a boat then I think you’ve found the answer.

We are sitting

I don't know why you're not hearing as certainly in South Florida it's no secret and extremely popular. I would list it at one of the greatest advantages of living in South Florida as a boater. We're in the Abacos right now. Elbow Cay actually. So far this trip to Atlantis or Paradise Island off Nassau, to Marsh Harbour to Hope Town which will be followed by Treasure Cay. Just having hundreds of islands, all a little different, is like going to a candy store as a kid.

In boat Harbour, Abaco Beach resort. We’ll be here all winter. We use this marina much like we might use our Hampton, Va marina in the summer.

We are members of the royal marsh harbor yacht club. All the club's activities keep us hopping. We can barely find time to fish.

Gordon

So i wonder how many of us are currently in the Bahamas, and where they are?

I am in Marsh Harbour.

David

Wifey B: Well, I don't have the aforementioned b$^#&^s, but go across all the time. Not much different than cruising outside up the coast. A little as gulf stream may be slightly worse. Services depend on where you are. Some good yards and mechanics around and if they can't handle it there, then someone will fly across or can get tow back across. Got to pick your days and windows this time of year as we came across in 2' and the day after it was 8', but then that was the case up the coast as well. :)

I will allow for this. It's a bit more daunting in a slow boat as that extends the crossing time. That's why may make their first stop West End or Bimini to leave it as a daylight run regardless of speed. :ermm:

In boat Harbour, Abaco Beach resort. We’ll be here all winter. We use this marina much like we might use our Hampton, Va marina in the summer.

We are members of the royal marsh harbor yacht club. All the club's activities keep us hopping. We can barely find time to fish.

Gordon

Wifey B: I think more and more people have found a favorite marina they make their Bahamas home resort. There are places that regulars do just gravitate back to. I think some come into and out of favor as Lucaya seems not so popular at the present time. A lot of islands going private. Baker Bay one lost to general public, but then hundreds left.

I think too that while we tend to lump it all as a country, The Bahamas, each area has it's distinctive features. It's like people arguing Abacos vs Exuma, well not one better, just very different. Abacos more amenities, Exuma more you and nature. Bimini like eastern suburbs of Miami. Berry Islands not very built up but nice. Eleuthera very enjoyable. We like the larger cities as well as Nassau has a lot to offer. No, it's not as beautiful as Exuma or even Andros, but it's got a lot of Bahamas culture balanced by some incredible resorts. We love Atlantis, even though the Hotel itself (which we've never stayed in as we stay on the boat) is showing some age and wear and then Baha Mar is only missing one thing, it's not on the water with a marina. :)

Almost......

We aren't there yet but, will be pullin' out to head that way the day after Christmas...… Woo Hoo, Green Turtle bound! With a few days of fishing at
Walkers on the way.....

Back
Top Bottom