Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #61
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,614
Menzies

Ye of little faith! LOL
__________________
Advertisement

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #62
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Yea, I know. Knock on wood. Anything can happen.
__________________

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #63
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
At Ft Pierce Fla, waiting on last crew then jumping off this am for Green Turtle. Boat has done fine on the NC to Fla run. Got to avoid Ga by going offshore. Got a little beat up and could only do 15kts. Calmed down and got up to 19 by the time we pulled into Auggie in the afternoon.

Lost a gennie impeller even though we have only run it a few hours. Had to clean the AP pump motor commutatator last night. All seems ready.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #64
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,767
Have fun. What are your plans when you get to GT? Anchoring, marina, mooring?
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #65
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
At Ft Pierce Fla, waiting on last crew then jumping off this am for Green Turtle. Boat has done fine on the NC to Fla run. Got to avoid Ga by going offshore. Got a little beat up and could only do 15kts. Calmed down and got up to 19 by the time we pulled into Auggie in the afternoon.

Lost a gennie impeller even though we have only run it a few hours. Had to clean the AP pump motor commutatator last night. All seems ready.
Wifey B: Hope you have a great trip. Windy shows nice conditions for the next 10 days. We're definitely going to take advantage to boat this weekend.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #66
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
Made it to Green Turtle, then Nippers on Sunday (got hurt, stupid boy) then Monday at Hope Town. Hope Town is awesome. My GF's best friend had to fly out today, so we came to Marsh Harbor and got a slip at Mango's. Cool little place.

Weather has been nice. Crossing from Ft Pierce was calm on Thursday. Ran about 18kts to avoid getting drug by the stream. Tank check this am has burn at 100gal since ft p, got about 170 left.

Tomorrow if calm will try for Eleuthera or Great Harbor. Not sure yet.

Boat has been doing well. Gennie gets a prayer every morning so we have AC. But evenings we often sleep ok with no AC needed.

Twice had to unclog grass from AC pickup. Knucklehead here did not put a grate on it when I built this thing. Stupid move.

A fun trip so far, indeed.

Anyone know if Great Harbor Marina is up and running? I really liked that place as they had a bunch of Europeans doing potluck.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #67
Guru
 
City: Fairport
Country: United States
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,721
Ski; Let us know if you head to rock sound. I have quite a number of blue hole locations to check out. PM if interested.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 PM   #68
Veteran Member
 
City: Chesapeake/S Florida
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Viking Sport Cruiser 50 ft flybridge
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 32
Ski, are you heading to the exumas? We are crossing this weekend and will be in the exumas for a week and a half before heading to the abacos through harbor island. Weather looks nice for the next several days
silver lining1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #69
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
I think we will skip the Exumas this go. Time is a bit short and I have chores to do with my aging folks in Cudjoe, and then have to get back to work. Probably head down to Great Harbour then cross at Bimini, then into the keys.

We stayed two nights at Mangoes marina in Marsh Harbour, at first just for a stop to drop off a passenger. Then we realized it was a fun spot and hung out for another day.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #70
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,356
I stayed at Harbor View marina last time when in Marsh dropping off and picking up passengers. Mangoes looks more fun.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #71
DLP
Veteran Member
 
DLP's Avatar
 
City: Baton Rouge
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Someday's Here
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I think we will skip the Exumas this go. Time is a bit short and I have chores to do with my aging folks in Cudjoe, and then have to get back to work. Probably head down to Great Harbour then cross at Bimini, then into the keys.

We stayed two nights at Mangoes marina in Marsh Harbour, at first just for a stop to drop off a passenger. Then we realized it was a fun spot and hung out for another day.
What is the going rate for 2 nights at Marsh nowadays? What about fuel?
Thanks
__________________
Darrell & Kim
YouTube/ Someday's Here

Stop The Madness Start The Adventure
DLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #72
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
Fuel was about 4.50/gal at the Moorings dock, not sure of Harbour View as their fuel dock was clogged with boats. Dockage was about 1.50/ft per night.

Mangoe's had lots of fun people to hang with. We had a good time.

A Great Harbour Cay now. Some fun people here on the dock. Got into the rum a little bit. Last night there was a big party on the beach side of the island and we could hear the music through the trees. Considered getting a cab and going, then the island genny pooped and all dark and quiet. So much for that. About a half hour later someone must have stumbled to the gennie shed and fixed it as our power came back up. But the music did not, so we did not bother going. Hung out on the dock and had a bit more rum.

Lazy morning so far. Raining. Going to figure plans to get from here to the lower Keys. Think I am ok with fuel, but will do the dips and calcs.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #73
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,356
“About half hour later someone must have stumbled into the gennie shed and fixed it as our power came back up”.

Perfect description of the Bahamas.

Sounds like y’all are having a great time. Post up some pics so we land lubbers can live a little!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #74
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
Unfortunately, neither of us is a shutterbug, we have not been taking many pics. Some that we did will NOT go public!!

I think we will do a slow cruise across the top of the bank today, then either stop at Cat Cay or anchor somewhere south. Then power up for a 17kt run across the stream.

Is Cat Cay worth a stop? Been past there before, but never stopped there.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #75
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Unfortunately, neither of us is a shutterbug, we have not been taking many pics. Some that we did will NOT go public!!

I think we will do a slow cruise across the top of the bank today, then either stop at Cat Cay or anchor somewhere south. Then power up for a 17kt run across the stream.

Is Cat Cay worth a stop? Been past there before, but never stopped there.
Wifey B: Cat Cay is mainly a good jumping off point and exit point. It's a private island and not a lot for non members to do there. I'd rather hit the casino in Bimini. However, Cat Cay is great final stop to clear out and head to Miami or the Keys. You can eat at the restaurant at the marina but not others on the island unless you show interest in buying and get the grand tour.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #76
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
We stayed at Bimini last night- Fun. Left 9am and just now pulled into my folks house in Cudjoe Key. It was a calm run, mostly running 1900/19kts. I shined my prop in Cudjoe bay, but don't think I dinged it.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #77
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
We stayed at Bimini last night- Fun. Left 9am and just now pulled into my folks house in Cudjoe Key. It was a calm run, mostly running 1900/19kts. I shined my prop in Cudjoe bay, but don't think I dinged it.
Wifey B: That's one of those things that spoils us so. Just a quick run across to Bimini or the rest of the Bahamas anytime. Then a quick run down to the Keys. So happy you're enjoying your family escape.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #78
Guru
 
Bigsfish's Avatar
 
City: Miami River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2,614
Ski

At Mangoes now, Ray said to say hello.

Kicked up a lot of mud while docking at low tide, had less that six inches under the boat.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #79
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,399
Left the folks house Thurs am after picking up fuel. McKenzie fuel/ J&S service sent a truck to canal side and price was good. Little mishap with the truck and folks mailbox, but damage was minor and easily fixed with hand tools. Truck showed up on time and good service.

Stopped at Biscayne park/Elliot Key/Caesar Creek for Thurs nite and stayed on the hook. Beautiful place for being so close to Miami. Dinked the creeks at sunset. Bugs and high temp meant running the gen and ac all night. Lots of sea grass and in the morning had to clean strainers on both gen and ac. I did not design this thing for the amount of sea grass in this area. PITA.

Did I mention sea grass? Yesterday ran up the stream from Biscayne to Ft Pierce. 1900 was giving us 23kts which was a nice bonus. Normal at that rpm is 19kts. Constant dodging of grass mats, and even then I could see knotmeter drop a couple and I would slow down and revers to shake weeds off the running gear. Last ten miles into Ft P there was way less grass so we may be over that.

At Ft Pierce city marina now. Was going to leave in the am, but my girl had a good friend show up last night and stay with us, so we are going to hang out together and make today a lay day.

A little incident last night with the girls putting on silly dresses and dancing on the dock and someone ended up in the water. But I promised not to discuss that!!

Been a really good trip so far. All have gotten along super and weather has been super calm and boat has run super too.

Logged about 1375nm and 117hrs on main, 103hrs on gennie. Did an oil change in Cudjoe.

Have not added up the fuel yet. Bound to be scary.

Credit card still works.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #80
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Left the folks house Thurs am after picking up fuel. McKenzie fuel/ J&S service sent a truck to canal side and price was good. Little mishap with the truck and folks mailbox, but damage was minor and easily fixed with hand tools. Truck showed up on time and good service.

Stopped at Biscayne park/Elliot Key/Caesar Creek for Thurs nite and stayed on the hook. Beautiful place for being so close to Miami. Dinked the creeks at sunset. Bugs and high temp meant running the gen and ac all night. Lots of sea grass and in the morning had to clean strainers on both gen and ac. I did not design this thing for the amount of sea grass in this area. PITA.

Did I mention sea grass? Yesterday ran up the stream from Biscayne to Ft Pierce. 1900 was giving us 23kts which was a nice bonus. Normal at that rpm is 19kts. Constant dodging of grass mats, and even then I could see knotmeter drop a couple and I would slow down and revers to shake weeds off the running gear. Last ten miles into Ft P there was way less grass so we may be over that.

At Ft Pierce city marina now. Was going to leave in the am, but my girl had a good friend show up last night and stay with us, so we are going to hang out together and make today a lay day.

A little incident last night with the girls putting on silly dresses and dancing on the dock and someone ended up in the water. But I promised not to discuss that!!

Been a really good trip so far. All have gotten along super and weather has been super calm and boat has run super too.

Logged about 1375nm and 117hrs on main, 103hrs on gennie. Did an oil change in Cudjoe.

Have not added up the fuel yet. Bound to be scary.

Credit card still works.
Wifey B: What a beautiful, beautiful trip and three generations involved in one way or another. Love the chance you're having to have quality time with your daughter. These are priceless memories for both of you.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×