Old 10-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2015 View Post
A really professional outfit that market a lot of vessels is Yachtvid on you tube. Take a look you will love the vessels and the way they present, amazing stuff !!!

Cheers Chris D Liberty
Yes, plus they do videos as well! They appear to use a steadycam mount and take their time panning around the vessel so you can actually take in what you're seeing. I've seen some of theirs with drone video as well.

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #42
Guru

A broker is your agent you appointed/employed to sell your boat. Pictures are necessary for online advertising, they should be as good as they can be. If not, he`s not doing his job, and if you are tied to a listing agreement which doesn`t give you rights to terminate if he does his job badly, you are losing effective time on the market. If the pictures are bad, and not helping or worse, ask him to perform, or else.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #43
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Maybe I'm a creature of the last century, but I never look at videos of boats for sale on web sites.

I'd rather see good still shots that I can take my time looking at, zoom in and out on, and flip back and forth between. I also like to skip the shots that don't interest me.

I'm no Luddite. By all means, provide videos for potential buyers who are easily impressed by slick video production skills. But also include plenty of good still shots for those of us who want to know how sound the boat and machinery are, and don't want to spend our time zooming in on the wine rack.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #44
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Maybe I'm a creature of the last century, but I never look at videos of boats for sale on web sites.

I'd rather see good still shots that I can take my time looking at, zoom in and out on, and flip back and forth between. I also like to skip the shots that don't interest me.

I'm no Luddite. By all means, provide videos for potential buyers who are easily impressed by slick video production skills. But also include plenty of good still shots for those of us who want to know how sound the boat and machinery are, and don't want to spend our time zooming in on the wine rack.
Especially when those "videos" are simply the same images available for those who manually flip through the images...

Years ago, Yachtworld offered a zoom option to put the image on the full screen but no longer...

Also, while I'm ranting about Yachtworld, their app either shows all boats everywhere, or if you say USA, you have to keep selecting which states within the US. Why not North America, or ALL the US?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #45

City: WA
I agree that boat photos in listings are generally terrible, but I am curious. Are brokers willing to pay for professional photos? Good boat photos would require some good camera equiment and skills similar to good real estate photography. Are brokers willing to pay for that?

When we sold our sailboat, the broker didn't even want to wait for us to straighten up the boat. We weren't expecting him to take photos that day. I ended up providing him with better photos later.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #46
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. R. I would suspect that GOOD brokers would spring for pro shots unless they were fully capable themselves. But having dealt with some brokers in the past, there are far too many that just seem to not care or are too lazy. One would think that a well presented vessel would command more traffic, as has been mentioned and get a commission into a broker's pockets sooner.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #47

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I'm a little late to the conversation. But oh this touched on a pet peeve! You would think that brokers would take a little time to put up a quality listing. But the more I think about it, I realized that many (most?!) brokers are no better than lazy used car salesman. Yes, granted there are a few who are in the business because they love boats and it shows. Otherwise, well....

Most issues have been touched on, like the lack of quality engine room pictures. Views that are too narrow to get a good grasp on the layout. Or super wide to the point of distortion. And yes, all the clutter and crap that just shows an unkempt boat. On those, maybe it's just as well they include the unkept, natural pictures as it gives those seriously looking a clue to the boats condition!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #48

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Good boat photos would require some good camera equiment and skills similar to good real estate photography. Are brokers willing to pay for that?
Real estate brokers that are worth their salt ALWAYS make sure that there are plenty of high-quality photos that show the property in the best possible light. They take the time to "stage" the home so that it will sell as quickly as possible for the best possible price. Boat brokers SHOULD be doing the same thing. Those that do not are only demonstrating their own lack of commitment to their craft, and unworthiness to earn a commission.

So the answer is easy: Good brokers would not only be willing, they would insist on it. Those who don't are lousy brokers, not worth wasting your time on.

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote