Old 10-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Northport
Sometimes you are lucky if all the pics are of the actual boat you are reading about in the add. Many adds have dozens of pics of things like 'bedding' and 'throw pillows' buy maybe 3 or none of the machinery that will determine your future costs.
Seems like many folks shopping find this acceptable nowadays so it is getting more like selling a condo than a functional boat.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
And seriously. Is 12 mega pixels really necessary anyway? Seems like a great way to eat up lots of memory. I bought a nice little Nikon digital about 6 months ~ $400. I had forgotten how nice it is to shoot a camera.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Old 10-13-2015, 02:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Michigan City, Ind
What is a "Longtime" member? As a Wespac sailor I know what I think longtime means. "Hey Joe?"
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Photography is ALL about the accumulation of light. There is no way the minuscule lens on a phone can collect enough.
I don't claim to be a photographer so I won't argue with you, but if your theory is right, the human eye can't do a good job either. And the camera has the ability to collect light over time, compensating for lens size. I must be missing something.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I don't claim to be a photographer so I won't argue with you, but if your theory is right, the human eye can't do a good job either. And the camera has the ability to collect light over time, compensating for lens size. I must be missing something.
You are correct. Longer exposure times do collect more light, BUT it is at the cost of an open aperture. The longer it's open, the more steady you are required to hold the camera. Any movement, even the slightest, loses clarity in the form of burr. But to be honest, the camera system on an iPhone really isn't sophisticated enough to adjust the f-stop correctly. I think it just accounts for low light with added brightness (washes out the whites) and the aforementioned longer exposure times.

Either way, a real camera is the overwhelming victor in low-light and indoor photography... Well, in ALL conditions really.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #26
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Of course the flipside worked out for us - broker took only a very few crappy pictures and posted very little information about the boat, which helped us to get the boat at a great price (probably would have sold before we had a chance to see it had the pictures and info been better).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:53 AM   #28
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Specs like the megapixel number, by no means, indicate the quality of the pictures. Photography is ALL about the accumulation of light. There is no way the minuscule lens on a phone can collect enough. Even a medium priced point-and-shoot can gather light better. Using a phone is just lazy. You could improve them by adding lots of light to the room (not the phone's flash), but most of the time, people use the natural light and the pictures are horribly grainy. A good DSLR and flash setup is just a few hundred dollars. And to the OP's point, even taking a few minutes to stage the picture properly can mean people stop and look at the listing, or move on to the next listing.
The Admiral is the photographer here and she has a top of the line Nikkon DSLR body with 50-300mm lens. She also has an iPhone 6. Without a doubt, the Nikkon takes the better picture. Other than envying over the specs, we have no experience with the iPhone 6S but her pictures with the 6 are very good. With either the Nikkon or the iPhone, she uploads the pics to her iMac and then doctors them with iPhoto or Adobe and when she is through, they are stunning. My fascination with the 6S isn't the megapixels but rather the stabilization. It may be lazy to use a phone for listing pics but I don't think I would enjoy carrying the relatively heavy and bulky Nikkon around on a boat (with multiple ladders) to take listing pictures. A pro photographer might be more up to the task. At any rate, I am still convinced the iPhone 6S is acceptable for taking listing pics. Unfortunately, our contract isn't up until next year and by then the iPhone 7 or even 7S will be the rage.

With that said, we have a boat on the market and the brokers pics are absolutely awful. He used previous owners poor listing pics instead of taking new ones. He didn't tell us we were responsible for the pics so I assume they are. If we weren't 1500 miles from the boat, the Admiral would be taking the pics for the listing. We will know better next time and now I know how YW can get such poor pics.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:16 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
With that said, we have a boat on the market and the brokers pics are absolutely awful. He used previous owners poor listing pics instead of taking new ones. He didn't tell us we were responsible for the pics so I assume they are. If we weren't 1500 miles from the boat, the Admiral would be taking the pics for the listing. We will know better next time and now I know how YW can get such poor pics.
And you are paying him how much for this?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
And you are paying him how much for this?
They get paid IF they sell it. With the quality of the pics, we might be paying him nothing but might not get the boat sold.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #31
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
They get paid IF they sell it. With the quality of the pics, we might be paying him nothing but might not get the boat sold.
That isn't the real problem, since some people are trying to sell what they own before buying what they want. If it takes a year for the current broker's contract to expire, to get a broker worthy of their commission, that ties up the investment of the owner for a year.

So, it's not just an annoyance. It's a financial loss with no benefit.

The owner could have the broker open up the boat and have a real photographer take photos of their boat, which is probably the right thing to do. It is likely to shorten the time on the market to replace awful photos with good ones. It's the same thing as keeping the grass and shrubs trimmed when your vacant house is on the market.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
That isn't the real problem, since some people are trying to sell what they own before buying what they want. If it takes a year for the current broker's contract to expire, to get a broker worthy of their commission, that ties up the investment of the owner for a year.
The listing is for 6 months. We wanted to trade it in on a new boat but the dealer didn't want to hold it. They recommended selling it and then buying the other boat. It is listed with them. Since that time, we decided we would rather have boat in FL if we sell. If we don't sell, we are okay with it. But still, the pics in YW are an embarrassment and a better effort should have been made.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
The listing is for 6 months. We wanted to trade it in on a new boat but the dealer didn't want to hold it. They recommended selling it and then buying the other boat. It is listed with them. Since that time, we decided we would rather have boat in FL if we sell. If we don't sell, we are okay with it. But still, the pics in YW are an embarrassment and a better effort should have been made.
That's better at least your money is't tied up for a year waiting on a contract to time out. What about hiring a real photog to shoot some better photos and replace the lousy ones?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
How about pictures of a listed boat that are 4 or 5 years old? We looked a boat that all the pictures had been taken when they did the last upgrade. They sure didn't represent the current condition. I will now ask, when were the listing pictures taken?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
What about hiring a real photog to shoot some better photos and replace the lousy ones?
It is being put in heated winter storage this week. Don't want the in storage pics. They would probably look worse!

If we still want to sell in May, the pics will be done right next time. This is my first experience listing a boat with a broker. What is really bothers me is the boat is less than a football field from the brokers office! Incredible isn't it.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #36

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Sometimes I'll start viewing the listing photos and think, "Really, dude? You couldn't pick up or at least neaten-up your s#*t long enough to snap a photo?" That's a signal that not only does no one care about selling this boat, but maybe no one cares about this boat, period.

OTOH, I've stared at good photos that showed a vessel to advantage, then drove three hours to find the same vessel is actually a big holy mess.

Even good listing photos sometimes require two or three separate viewings before the clues start to emerge. For example, a photo of an interior bulkhead shows gleaming varnish reflecting the light, but on closer inspection, there are dark stains beneath those salon window frames. That re-painted engine looks good, but wait - the motor mount appears to be a clod of rust that's been hit with some red overspray.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #37

City: Edmonds
There are plenty of lazy brokers out there. The broker we bought from uses pics from the manufacturers' old brochures whenever possible. And that is a small flaw compared to what we gradually learned about him.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
How about pictures of a listed boat that are 4 or 5 years old? We looked a boat that all the pictures had been taken when they did the last upgrade. They sure didn't represent the current condition. I will now ask, when were the listing pictures taken?
I think photos taken during the last haul really help, since if the boat is floating in the water, it's hard to see what the boat looks like under the water. We all know the boat isn't brand new and some dings and scratches will exist.

One of the boats i liked, I decided to not go see it since the broker incorrectly told me that there was nothing below the water to protect the props. It turns out that boat had full skegs below and protection even for the stabilizers.
All they could show were a set of plans in Chinese that didn't show anything below but props, struts and rudders.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #39
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
since we are talking about taking pictures, I thought it may be worth talking about taking pictures of a boat when you first go to see it. When I first went to see our NT, I took probably around 100 pictures - everywhere from the hull to the ER. This allowed me to then study them closely when I got back to the hotel (and share them with my wife, who was about 1500 miles away) before making an offer. I also sent the pictures to our surveyor and mechanic prior to the survey so they could have an idea of what they were going to see in advance, and to also raise some specific issues that I wanted them to look into. To this day, still use the pictures (which are now stored in the cloud) when I need to order a part or see how something is put together when I'm not on the boat.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #40

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
A really professional outfit that market a lot of vessels is Yachtvid on you tube. Take a look you will love the vessels and the way they present, amazing stuff !!!

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote