Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Which would be better?

For diving on the boat, fixing underwater stuff, etc..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432490555.981330.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	40432

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432490576.496038.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	40433

Tank method seems easier if I wanted to put it in the dingy and cruise around to find a good place to explore. Although I don't know where I would store that pressurized tank on the boat. Do you have to store them a certain way?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
It appears the second one requires a scuba tank that maybe difficult or inconvenient to get. The first one appears to have its own pump/air supply but for only shallow dives.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Guru

Oh. Well duh. I thought the second one actually came with the tank, but now that I read the ad it doesn't.

Yeah. I wonder what I would do with that big tank. Not much storage on my boat...
Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
I don't dive so excuse my ignorance but I would have a hard time trusting my life to a $389 device I bought on eBay. Is this the going price for this, is it mfg. by a reputable company in an appropriate country? I'm just asking.
mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Guru

Which would be better?

Psneed said the eBay compressor and hose setup wouldn't kill me, so I'm going on that info.

I'm not a diver either. Snorkeler.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
To get the tank filled, most places require that you be PADI certified. That being said, you should be certified using either system although not a requirement for the hookah.

We have a hookah and use it. We're also both PADI certified.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Guru

Ahhh. Was not aware of that certification issue. Think I will stick to the pump system.

I do wonder how loud that pump will be. I've had little air compressors that are so loud I can't hear myself think. That's one reason I started looking at the tank systems.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Go direct to Diving USA and save yourself $10 by purchasing the exact same 12v Hookah rig from them.

Note: This type of rig will only be useful for cleaning your hull. You'll be very disappointed if you think you're going to go exploring very far below the surface.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #9
Guru

How deep can I go? My sinus problems won't let me go that far down anyway. 8'-10' starts to hurt.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
If you will pardon my asking, why would you even want one? In my experience you either need to go under the boat in an emergency to clear something or for routine maintenance at the dock.

I would not want to mess with either apparatis in a seaway. Where I am divers for routine cleaning are dirt cheap. Lots of competition.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I’d be careful that cheap 12V hookah previously linked on this thread does not have operating problems as well as items that could harm your lungs. I've read some bad things about compressors manufactured by who - knows - who??

Following link displays a hookah from company that sounds reputable.

Good Luck! - Art

Hookamax Dive Systems
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
I've seen a slightly beefier version, from brownies, that could only really go to 15 feet. I think this really would be just the bottom of your hull and not much more. You can take a beginner scuba class for about that much and then you could dive and add a whole new element to your cruising! And clean the bottom of the boat, as you needed to.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I’d be careful that cheap 12V hookah previously linked on this thread...
That's a concern, but I'd be more worried about the operator/user. Go to a PADI school and get certified. Snorkeling vs working with air lines under your boat are 2 different things even at 6'. Pick a nice local, you and the admiral could get certified in MX or the South Pacific? It would be a great vacation and you'll have trained support staff as well.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Google hooka....in a couple nights I read about 25 articles, another 10 blogs or so and probably a couple hundred forum entries.

While I am dive certified, I felt even without the certification, I read enough to build my own system. I do feel that certification would go a long way to helping protect yourself.

The pro divers in all the reads are certainly worth listening to, but many experienced people and a few pros will point out that shortcuts won't necessarily kill you either...you take your chances like most things in life.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
That's a concern, but I'd be more worried about the operator/user. Go to a PADI school and get certified. Snorkeling vs working with air lines under your boat are 2 different things even at 6'. Pick a nice local, you and the admiral could get certified in MX or the South Pacific? It would be a great vacation and you'll have trained support staff as well.

Point taken. Will do. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #16
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Unless you "hookah" near the service, you really should take the scuba course. Similar issues apply using the hookah as with scuba (i.e. you are breathing high pressure air).

If you plan on going deep (for a hookah) you should have one of those small backup bottles in case the hookah gives out.

The advantage of the pump is not having to deal with the tank. Even if you are certified, you will still need to take it somewhere to get it filled. There are periodic inspection requirements on the tank as well. The tank is probably bigger and heavier than the pump thing.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I'd go with the one with the compressor.

But if you go the other way, you don't have to hook it up to a full sized bottle. They make 60cf, 30cf, etc. size bottles.

The bottles do have to be hydroed ever 5 years. But that's not a big deal.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #18
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I built mine

I used a first stage and second stage I had laying around and bought 75' of air line at a dive shop. You can rent tanks as needed for around $10. The little wobble piston hookah set ups are oilless compressors very similar to the Thomas construction compressors. Diving on your boat is a lot more work than it looks, maybe it's easier if you do it for a living everyday, but for a old man like myself it's a tough job. Using the Hookah the first thing I missed was a buoyancy compensator, I thought just using a wet suit and regulator would make life easy working under water. What I found is maintaining neutral buoyancy with a 1/4 wet suit and weight belt was very difficult at the shallow depths working on a boat. Your either too heavy or too buoyant. I ended up using the dive gear I scuba with because it was easier for me. I used to clean my bottom and change zincs myself on a 48' boat. The last time was three years ago. I was thrashed the next day. I've pretty much decided at this point in my life, I'll dive if it's an emergency, I'll pay someone to clean the bottom and change zincs.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:00 AM   #19
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
I second the recommendation for some training.
using compressed air, even at depths of less than 10', can cause serious problems if some basic rules aren't followed.
Like-NEVER hold your breath.

The bottom of your boat has the potential to move 3 to 6' quickly and unexpectedly. The bottom of your boat is harder than your head.

Buoyancy control is taught in basic courses and would be helpful.

PADI is only one of the training agencies, NAUI, SSI and others have good courses also if PADI isn't nearby.
ktdtx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:31 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Shark jaws or similar might be all you need for the occasional line on the prop shaft.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote