Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #121
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Sorry your soapbox has excluded you....
I figured that would happen... condemned to damnation by the devil himself! Bozo!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #122
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Even the thought or mention of GG excludes you..maybe she will prove herself in the future but way too early to tell...her mistakes are genuine and not intentional....
Based on the criteria you seem you have set out, she should have been in from the get go.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #123
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Based on the criteria you seem you have set out, she should have been in from the get go.
She's just too new...to have have serious input into anything...except her journey.

If being outrageous is what you think my criteria is...read closer it more than just that....my biggest problem with her is that early on she didn't take good advice from either side of the camp...she just took advice she wanted to hear and used it to support her decisions.

It worked for her...but it won't always work for everyone..
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I figured that would happen... condemned to damnation by the devil himself! Bozo!!
I'll take my rep every time.....
Old 08-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #125
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
.my biggest problem with her is that early on she didn't take good advice from either side of the camp...she just took advice she wanted to hear and used it to support her decisions.

It worked for her...but it won't always work for everyone..
Not taking good advice from either camp but still going out and doing it anyway perhaps makes her the ultimate Bozo!

None of the advice from either camp will work for everyone. So she took her own path. Like it or not she's doing it. And her own way, just like Bozo. Or Bozett as the case may be.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #126
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
My bad.
Took the boat down to the beach with some BEERS on board.
Had the pup along cause that's what we do, and yes with out her collar leash and um dog tags.
I also did not have my PCOC along for the ride, and well I am not licensed to use the VHF so left it behind.

Met some other folk at the beach, some arrive by boat some by foot. Had a nice fire that is also not allowed.

Got to admit however, the evening , enjoying others of similar cultural back ground sharing some beers, food, good stories, each others company around a nice fire. Completely illegal , for a social gathering in todays PC world.

F'N priceless !

Can I be forgiven oh grand BOZO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	march 15 2014 020.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	32253  
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #127
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
How 'bout potato gun stories? I might get a vote here: Had a pig roast/bluegrass band at the boat dock. Late night the spudzooka comes out. Spuds launched into the boat basin. Ran out of spuds, got some apples and bananas. Launched those too. Not too confident in the aiming, and that became an issue.

Next morning, knock on the door. Owner of the boatyard next door (a good friend) asks me if I had been shooting spuds. I look in the yard over his shoulder, and there is a table with spudzooka, acetylene bottle, and all sorts of vegetable peels.

I tell him, "I think I am busted.". He says yep. I go, well which boats do I need to clean?

That was a miserable morning. My friends can't aim worth crap!! Fortunately, apple and banana are easy to spot the next day. I had to clean about four boats. Fortunately again, no damage.

I did nail the birdhouse on one of the dock piles. No birds in it then (I hoped), but it still has a crunch in the side. My aim was good on that shot (a challenge!!).
Acetylene? That must have some serious range. All I've ever used was White Rain hairspray.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #128
Guru

Hey I don't want to be grand bozo or president of the club and by definition, there's no right or wrong way to be or get into the club or anything.

The whole point was to get people thinking about not allowing a certain number of people drive the thought train around here any more than just reprinting articles out of a couple boating mags...I don't see that as the purpose of forums.

If you want to think that your auto zone crimps done with vice grips that will last 5 years in some situations is good enough for you and someone else who might be in your shoes...then just say that. I'll support you and say I have seen the same last 12 years in far more severe service than what I see many TFers doing with their boats....

Is it the BEST way? Probably not.... but it's only the WRONG way if you are a member of THEIR club.....

Is a portable Honda genset the best machine out there for the task at hand? Well even that can be debated ...sure built in are nice but NECESSARY???? and as posted...with a fine group of thinkers here and not just a bunch of read the manual types...I'm sure newbies will get the sense of safety issues and take precautions just like storing fuel-less outboards ANYPLACE you want.

I want to see people enjoy boating without the "keeping up with the West Marine-er" crowd...(and ps...I do go to West Marine when it's the place to go).

Think outside the box...it's OK....think inside the big box store.... it's OK.

Think and be responsible and not absolutist. Research the possible...not the already perfected...you may even top the norm on occasion.

But most of all, don't let people tell you or others that "it MUST be done this way"...because it probably doesn't have to be and there people here that will help you through the process...and don't be afraid to speak up.

So...I don't really care if you ride through your town doing handstands on your Harley...bad boy sure...but not really what I'm trying to get going here.

It's the don't be afraid to speak against the grain as your idea or question could be or start the latest and greatest for boaters.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #129

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Well said psneeld. The best comment I think I have ever read on this forum. I will certainly drink to that!
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #130
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
As I have said before here, the only sure chance of redemption for bad behavior is to send $10, 20, 30 thousand dollars to my pay pal account and I will grant full absolution and redemption without special dispensation...free and clear... A small price to pay, a paltry sum to live a guilt free life for prior sins. Now for a money back garantee refundable at 2x the donation...send $50,000 to my pay pal account and St Peter will not even interview you, the gates will be open. Fully refundable at 2x donation....say AMEN BROTHER. 25% discount for couples....
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #131
Veteran Member

City: San diego
Vessel Name: COWBUOY
Vessel Model: 1974 chb
I must confess that I have used home depot varnish on my boat. It looks amazing, forgive me father...
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #132
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
Acetylene? That must have some serious range. All I've ever used was White Rain hairspray.
Hairspray?? Ha!!! So safety conscious there. Acetylene is the real deal. I shot a yellow onion through 3/8" plywood. Also shot a spud through hardware cloth and made french fries.

On a serious note, there were some precautions taken to avoid injury should the pvc (reinforced) burst. No joke should that happen.

And then there are trash bag bombs... and how did that clamshell go through the stucco on the shop???
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #133
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Bad, irresponsible boaters

Ski my personal distance record with a spud gun is 500' hitting the side of an abandoned junk semi trailer. 20' of 2" ABS pipe served as the barrel. 3 man operation to fire it.

I agree, ditch the hairspray we prefer mapp gas and the auto igniting plumbing torch.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #134
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
[QUOTE=Ski in NC;260080]Hairspray?? Ha!!! So safety conscious there. Acetylene is the real deal. I shot a yellow onion through 3/8" plywood. Also shot a spud through hardware cloth and made french fries.

On a serious note, there were some precautions taken to avoid injury should the pvc (reinforced) burst. No joke should that happen.

And then there are trash bag bombs... and how did that clamshell go through the stucco on the shop?

Done the trash bag deal w some farmboys up in North Texas, now that's impressive.

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote