Old 08-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #102
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Although I haven't officially joined, I recommend this for the burgee:
Actually I think the other team has that incorporated in their burgee...

Hey see us as totally irresponsible, bad boaters. We have no IQs at all despite numerous links to professional recognized in the industry as support on many occasions.

The fact that many of us have done things they haven't makes them right because they can correctly spell ABYC and a few other holier than thou acronyms.

Yep.... we ARE the bozos in their eyes, a menace to their safety, loved ones, etc...etc...the constitution probably...holy cow it's mind boggling.

So maybe you are right...we SHOULD have bozo in our burgee...just take out the crossed circle and add a thumbs up on the bozo...we are and we be proud...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #103
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #104
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
oooohhh..I Like it..but can we get a soldering iron in one hand and a beer in the other and the cigarette in the lips with the ashes falling on badly weathered teak decks?

I know I ask for too much...but nothing too good for the troops!!! Afternoon grog ration for all hands!!!!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #105
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
i guess starting the thread asking what is a trawler didn't qualify. The truth was exposed, no one converted from orthodoxy and i continued charging windmills. :d

onward rosanante!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1408664150.990594.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	32232

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #106
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
How 'bout potato gun stories? I might get a vote here: Had a pig roast/bluegrass band at the boat dock. Late night the spudzooka comes out. Spuds launched into the boat basin. Ran out of spuds, got some apples and bananas. Launched those too. Not too confident in the aiming, and that became an issue.

Next morning, knock on the door. Owner of the boatyard next door (a good friend) asks me if I had been shooting spuds. I look in the yard over his shoulder, and there is a table with spudzooka, acetylene bottle, and all sorts of vegetable peels.

I tell him, "I think I am busted.". He says yep. I go, well which boats do I need to clean?

That was a miserable morning. My friends can't aim worth crap!! Fortunately, apple and banana are easy to spot the next day. I had to clean about four boats. Fortunately again, no damage.

I did nail the birdhouse on one of the dock piles. No birds in it then (I hoped), but it still has a crunch in the side. My aim was good on that shot (a challenge!!).
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #107

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: 1987 Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyfeet View Post
I went to a Jimmy Buffett Concert at the Miami Marine Stadium. This was in 1985, they made a video about it. I can see my boat in some of the footage! I drank a bunch of Rum and Coke, a few beers, smoked some outstanding bud. There were probably 300 other boats anchored in the basin. Lots of people on each of those boats! A bunch of folks had the great idea to use inner tubes to swim right up to the floating stage! I was thinking just how cool that was .......until I figured out how many people had pissed or crapped into that basin!!!!! Astounding hangover in the AM! Last boat to leave.......great time! I don't drink at all now.

Dang, I was there for that also. ...

Poseidon almost had his way with us during the basin exit as 300+ boats made their way out while not want to wait for the old Biscayne draw bridge to raise..

~ Gary ~

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
How 'bout potato gun stories? I might get a vote here: Had a pig roast/bluegrass band at the boat dock. Late night the spudzooka comes out. Spuds launched into the boat basin. Ran out of spuds, got some apples and bananas. Launched those too. Not too confident in the aiming, and that became an issue.

Next morning, knock on the door. Owner of the boatyard next door (a good friend) asks me if I had been shooting spuds. I look in the yard over his shoulder, and there is a table with spudzooka, acetylene bottle, and all sorts of vegetable peels.

I tell him, "I think I am busted.". He says yep. I go, well which boats do I need to clean?

That was a miserable morning. My friends can't aim worth crap!! Fortunately, apple and banana are easy to spot the next day. I had to clean about four boats. Fortunately again, no damage.

I did nail the birdhouse on one of the dock piles. No birds in it then (I hoped), but it still has a crunch in the side. My aim was good on that shot (a challenge!!).
While the spudzooka end of things clearly puts you in the bad boy camp...as long as you didn't drive past a Walmart and go another 30 miles to a West marine for cleaning supplies.... it is certainly membership material.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #109
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
While the spudzooka end of things clearly puts you in the bad boy camp...as long as you didn't drive past a Walmart and go another 30 miles to a West marine for cleaning supplies.... it is certainly membership material.
Garden hose, brush and Dawn!!! Don't know anything else exists to clean.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Garden hose, brush and Dawn!!! Don't know anything else exists to clean.
Start a thread on cleaning supplies...you'll be amazed at what people will tell you t use or don't use....

You'll get the "greenie" lecture for sure ...among other self appointed environmental wizard suggestions.

I like the old wives tales....like cut a potato in half and rub vigorously on the area then hose off...probably would work better on your potato shots than the banana and apple bursts.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #111
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.
I am in a lovely little anchorage called Smuggler. There is me, the lone power boat amongst a throng of sailboaters, most of them with ZZ Top beards (the women too ) and I am into the rum a bit. I realized that I am the only one playing CCR on the stereo, in fact I'm the only one with a stereo. Tallow lamps and coal fires won't run electronic music, in fact my stereo is drowning out the mandolin from boat 4. I discover that I am not only the only powerboat, I am also the breakwater for 6 other sailboats, taking the brunt of the boat swells that wander in here, rolling captive in my harness, the stern tie - so I leave and doom the cluster of sailboats to a night of rocking. Fortunately I couldn't hear the boat words as the beards muffled the cursing. Long live the power boat!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #112
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Hmm cleaning products? I use Castrol Superclean to get the gunk off of my dingy.
Hmm marine toilets? Gasp we actually put good old toilet paper in the toilet...whoda thunk!
Hmm engine oil? So whats wrong with whatever diesel oil is on sail? The Lehman eats it all.
Hmm flybridge? We actually use and like ours. Gives a nice view of the Bruce on the bow.
Hmm hull paint? I think we may actually us Sherwin Williams Enamel!

Forgive me for nothing!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #113
Guru

Hey come on guys...the real message of the bad boys club is about doing things differently from "mainstream" (well at least in their minds) TFer's.

There should be more club members chiming in those threads that bring up perfectly good (well not in their minds) info that goes against the grain here.

Like saying heck, I use facial tissue instead of TP because it's softer, dissolves and comes in presized sheets I can tell my guests how many to flush each time (now I've never experimented so I don't do that) but I see that's the valuable stuff here. Ideas that improve boating...not keep us drawing in the same old lines the mags and "in industy" dinasaurs kept us before the internet so ideas spread slowly from dock to dock, marina to marina at a snails pace.

Any twit can go buy marine stuff at West Marine, or use the world's most valuable tools to do things the way they are written about in boat mags. Sure read the manufacturer instructions...but what if it's a household product that's you are using on your boat??? The instructions may be out the window and fellow TFers that have done it or contemplating it can help with ideas, safety items, etc. Not the constant "I wouldn't do that" droning you get from some....or "some surveyor is gonna flag that when you go to sell"...who gives a crap...then I 'll replace it or my kids will as I hope to keel over on my boat at 90 something. Sure mention it...but making it your mantra and having every other post mention it...holy cow and I'm the pot stirrer???

Even newbies catch on pretty fast. If something is being done out of the ordinary...don't assume they are all stupid and incapable of thinking through a few safety tips or ideas....one mention of a danger probably get's their attention more than lecturing an old timer who in reality knows better than to listen to the drivel anyhow.

So come'on all you true bad boy club members...help me raise the BS flag everytime some pompous "my way or the highway" type uses their "canned info" as ammunition against other BBC members to brush us aside and then they make their high and mighty sneering remarks when it's clear there's no right answer and the links to other "respectables" do weaken their case a bit.

Onward!!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #114
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
My name is Auscan and I have a drinking problem.
A few months ago after consuming a beer, I motor sailed without raising an upside down triangle. I don't know what got into me. It must have been the demon drink that made me do it. If there was another boat within 10 miles, I could have put all our lives at risk.

Since that time, I seem to be slipping deeper into the abyss. Just today, I had several cans of Mythos while being second in command on a boat. This caused me to lose my attention while tying off the stern, when I focused on 2 greek goddess's sunning on a patch of beach between the rocks. Again I put lives at risk, but I tried to make up for it by practicing my knot tying skills several times before swimming back to the boat.

What can I do to redeem myself?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #115
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
The boat came with a second anchor but have never tried it yet.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #116
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
My name is Auscan and I have a drinking problem.
A few months ago after consuming a beer, I motor sailed without raising an upside down triangle. I don't know what got into me. It must have been the demon drink that made me do it. If there was another boat within 10 miles, I could have put all our lives at risk.

Since that time, I seem to be slipping deeper into the abyss. Just today, I had several cans of Mythos while being second in command on a boat. This caused me to lose my attention while tying off the stern, when I focused on 2 greek goddess's sunning on a patch of beach between the rocks. Again I put lives at risk, but I tried to make up for it by practicing my knot tying skills several times before swimming back to the boat.

What can I do to redeem myself?
Welcome to the fold...just don't stray and help fight the good fight here...
Between anchoring bans and all the stuff I would have to stop doing or start doing someone else's way according to some...

I might have to give up boating.....NOT...
Old 08-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #117
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Ok, Ok - This thread has pulled it out o' me! I've come to confesssssss (some of my ways)!!

Often at night I walk to bow with flashlight for visual anchor check. When ya gotta go... ya gotta go! Splashing - trickle/stream over the gunnel has never woken wifie... yet! Of course, she's sound a sleep in rear master stateroom. Also, I have been known to bathe o' natural with a bar o' soap on swim deck; full rinse off by jumping in all soaped up. And, forgive me oh great one! I have experienced a sudden warming of surrounding water while swimming for long duration... luckily the water returns to normal temp rather quickly.

I cannot tell you about my past life... been counseled to take the 5th. Probably because that was something I too often did... i.e. take "fifths" to their bottom!

Read the meanings in picture of our boat's name anyway you like. Wife and I know exactly what it all stands for... we designed it / drew it... cause we did all that and more in past decades! Taint our first day on the beach... so to say!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	32246   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO_Arrow Thru Heart_100_1657.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	32247  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #118
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Bad, irresponsible boaters

I support GG and her five kids! My last post may offend the great ones. Screw this I'm going out to actually use my boat!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Ok, Ok - This thread has pulled it out o' me! I've come to confesssssss (some of my ways)!!

Often at night I walk to bow with flashlight for visual anchor check. When ya gotta go... ya gotta go! Splashing - trickle/stream over the gunnel has never woken wifie... yet! Of course, she's sound a sleep in rear master stateroom. Also, I have been known to bathe o' natural with a bar o' soap on swim deck; full rinse off by jumping in all soaped up. And, forgive me oh great one! I have experienced a sudden warming of surrounding water while swimming for long duration... luckily the water returns to normal temp rather quickly.

I cannot tell you about my past life... been counseled to take the 5th. Probably because that was something I too often did... i.e. take "fifths" to their bottom!

Read the meanings in picture of our boat's name anyway you like. Wife and I know exactly what it all stands for... we designed it / drew it... cause we did all that and more in past decades! Taint our first day on the beach... so to say!
Sorry your soapbox has excluded you....
Old 08-22-2014, 01:38 PM   #120
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
I support GG and her five kids! My last post may offend the great ones. Screw this I'm going out to actually use my boat!

Even the thought or mention of GG excludes you..maybe she will prove herself in the future but way too early to tell...her mistakes are genuine and not intentional....

Also the thought that many of the rest of us aren't "boating"....and still posting....