Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #81
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Does piloting a 42' GB only in reverse for about 2 miles from a restaurant under a bridge and then back into your slip at the marina at 1am in the morning on a dare count?

{Oh, wait, that couldn't have happened because everybody knows BW Velvet Drives have a weak reverse gear.)

Or how about saying screw the whole "which anchor is best" debate and just beaching it?
Only if there was alcohol involved.

Capt Bill you have really shown promise lately...A few more shots at the everything has to be perfect crowd and I'm sure you will be a shoe in.

Pretty much just operating at night sets you apart from some of the crowd....
__________________
Advertisement

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #82
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Only if there was alcohol involved.

Capt Bill you have really shown promise lately...A few more shots at the everything has to be perfect crowd and I'm sure you will be a shoe in.

Pretty much just operating at night sets you apart from some of the crowd....
Ah, it was 1am. Do I really have to spell it out?
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #83
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Ah, it was 1am. Do I really have to spell it out?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #84
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Now to put it in perspective, this was over 30 years ago and not something I would recommend any one doing. It falls into that "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #85
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Now to put it in perspective, this was over 30 years ago and not something I would recommend any one doing. It falls into that "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category.
Ah, the Streakers Defence: "It seemed a good idea at the time". Often followed by the words "Your Honor".
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #86
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
oh king neptune you have looked after me. Somehow your ultimate wisdom has kept me from disaster. My anchor was the wrong kind, it was too small, and there was not enough chain. How can i ever atone.
Moon…..you cannot atone….that's the one unpardonable sin..!
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #87
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
Sleep deprivation will do that to you Bill.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #88
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Ah, the Streakers Defence: "It seemed a good idea at the time". Often followed by the words "Your Honor".
Or in an East Texas emergency room..next to a gurney...Well the last thing he said was, "Watch this Ma."
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #89
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Sleep deprivation will do that to you Bill.
That would have been the next day.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #90
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
There is photographic evidence that one of our Mods has been catching, filleting fish, and putting them in the cooler before he could get checked by the CA Fish and Game Officers. I think it would be good for the soul from his to 'fess up to his dastardly deeds.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #91
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,178
You mean this?

__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #92
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You mean this?


Time to 'fess up, Al. It'll do you good. I can hardly look at that picture, and think of that poor mama sturgeon.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #93
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #94
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.
Yep, when you hit the bridge supports you have a really good location fix. No question where you are.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #95
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.
I think you really need to study the real meaning of the bad boys club...just doing something that doesn't fit the norm isn't really the point....it's doing something that the "in crowd" finds offensive, irrational, not to spec or norm, doesn't comply 100% of the time with a voluntary rule, etc..etc...it also means taking an active part in showing the error of their ways when they do post.

Showing them we might be the bad boy club but we are neither stupid or careless...for the most part taking calculated risks safely probably requires a much higher intellect than just following the herd.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #96
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
I guess starting the thread asking what is a trawler didn't qualify. the truth was exposed, no one converted from orthodoxy and I continued charging windmills.

Onward Rosanante!
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #97
Member
 
Chopperguy's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Norland
Vessel Model: Converted Seiner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 17
I found out that my old onan gen set is most likely dead!! ( not sure i can even get it out of the boat ) so rather than pay huge sums of money to repair or replace, I bought a honda from Craigslist and will just plug in my power cord. It will get me by for the Labor Day week cruise, and it's even quiter than the onan!! Please forgive my cheapness and lack of time. But we will have hot showers and lights for the week!
Chopperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #98
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Time to 'fess up, Al. It'll do you good. I can hardly look at that picture, and think of that poor mama sturgeon.
Good timing, Moonman!! I'll be enjoying some of this fine specimen for dinner tonight!!

Actually, there's nothing to confess here. If you look at the tail, you'll see a sturgeon tag firmly attached noting this as one of my 3 fish I'm allowed to keep this year. This is #2, I'm holding off on keeping number 3 so I can continue fishing for sturgeon. You can see that this fish was properly tagged and cleaned in a technique that allowed its length to be determined by authorities, if needed.

There is a rule in CA that says you cannot clean a fish until you return to land, so on January 16, 2014, I contacted the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife about the issue. They confirmed to me via email that in the case of a live-aboard boat, the fish could be cleaned onboard if a cleaning technique was used that would allow identification of the species and it's total length to ensure regulatory compliance by the angler. The implication was that the carcass would need to be retained until the next time the boat reaches a dock or marina.

So, nice try, Moonstruck, but this act fails to qualify me for this Nauti Buoy thread.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #99
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Good timing, Moonman!! I'll be enjoying some of this fine specimen for dinner tonight!!

Actually, there's nothing to confess here. If you look at the tail, you'll see a sturgeon tag firmly attached noting this as one of my 3 fish I'm allowed to keep this year. This is #2, I'm holding off on keeping number 3 so I can continue fishing for sturgeon. You can see that this fish was properly tagged and cleaned in a technique that allowed its length to be determined by authorities, if needed.

There is a rule in CA that says you cannot clean a fish until you return to land, so on January 16, 2014, I contacted the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife about the issue. They confirmed to me via email that in the case of a live-aboard boat, the fish could be cleaned onboard if a cleaning technique was used that would allow identification of the species and it's total length to ensure regulatory compliance by the angler. The implication was that the carcass would need to be retained until the next time the boat reaches a dock or marina.

So, nice try, Moonstruck, but this act fails to qualify me for this Nauti Buoy thread.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Good story. It took awhile to come up with all that. However, we know what you've been doing, but your secret is safe with us. We won't tell.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #100
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post
I found out that my old onan gen set is most likely dead!! ( not sure i can even get it out of the boat ) so rather than pay huge sums of money to repair or replace, I bought a honda from Craigslist and will just plug in my power cord. It will get me by for the Labor Day week cruise, and it's even quiter than the onan!! Please forgive my cheapness and lack of time. But we will have hot showers and lights for the week!

First of all I knew you were bad boy material just from your forum name...real pilots fly airplanes...you know that because they always tell you that..thats why most will always be in the "other group"....

Secondly...nice job with the Honda....that definitely allows consideration or full membership to the bad boys club. The real icing on the cake is when you join in the discussions on portable generators in the future because you haven't died of CO poisoning and that will piss off one or more of the goodie two shoes.....
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012