Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #81
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Does piloting a 42' GB only in reverse for about 2 miles from a restaurant under a bridge and then back into your slip at the marina at 1am in the morning on a dare count?

{Oh, wait, that couldn't have happened because everybody knows BW Velvet Drives have a weak reverse gear.)

Or how about saying screw the whole "which anchor is best" debate and just beaching it?
Only if there was alcohol involved.

Capt Bill you have really shown promise lately...A few more shots at the everything has to be perfect crowd and I'm sure you will be a shoe in.

Pretty much just operating at night sets you apart from some of the crowd....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 PM   #82
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Only if there was alcohol involved.

Capt Bill you have really shown promise lately...A few more shots at the everything has to be perfect crowd and I'm sure you will be a shoe in.

Pretty much just operating at night sets you apart from some of the crowd....
Ah, it was 1am. Do I really have to spell it out?

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Ah, it was 1am. Do I really have to spell it out?
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #84
Guru

Now to put it in perspective, this was over 30 years ago and not something I would recommend any one doing. It falls into that "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Now to put it in perspective, this was over 30 years ago and not something I would recommend any one doing. It falls into that "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category.
Ah, the Streakers Defence: "It seemed a good idea at the time". Often followed by the words "Your Honor".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #86
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
oh king neptune you have looked after me. Somehow your ultimate wisdom has kept me from disaster. My anchor was the wrong kind, it was too small, and there was not enough chain. How can i ever atone.
Moon…..you cannot atone….that's the one unpardonable sin..!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #87
Guru

City: gulf coast
Sleep deprivation will do that to you Bill.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Ah, the Streakers Defence: "It seemed a good idea at the time". Often followed by the words "Your Honor".
Or in an East Texas emergency room..next to a gurney...Well the last thing he said was, "Watch this Ma."
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Sleep deprivation will do that to you Bill.
That would have been the next day.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #90
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
There is photographic evidence that one of our Mods has been catching, filleting fish, and putting them in the cooler before he could get checked by the CA Fish and Game Officers. I think it would be good for the soul from his to 'fess up to his dastardly deeds.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #91
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
You mean this?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
You mean this?

Time to 'fess up, Al. It'll do you good. I can hardly look at that picture, and think of that poor mama sturgeon.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #93
Guru

seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
seems my bona fides have been questioned. Wire nuts, backing two miles are armature stuff.

how does sailing into the Golden Gate from sea in pea soup fog without radar or chart plotter sound. Fortunately the fog horn on the bridge provided a fix.
Yep, when you hit the bridge supports you have a really good location fix. No question where you are.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:

I think you really need to study the real meaning of the bad boys club...just doing something that doesn't fit the norm isn't really the point....it's doing something that the "in crowd" finds offensive, irrational, not to spec or norm, doesn't comply 100% of the time with a voluntary rule, etc..etc...it also means taking an active part in showing the error of their ways when they do post.

Showing them we might be the bad boy club but we are neither stupid or careless...for the most part taking calculated risks safely probably requires a much higher intellect than just following the herd.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #96
Guru

I guess starting the thread asking what is a trawler didn't qualify. the truth was exposed, no one converted from orthodoxy and I continued charging windmills.

Onward Rosanante!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #97

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Norland
Vessel Model: Converted Seiner
I found out that my old onan gen set is most likely dead!! ( not sure i can even get it out of the boat ) so rather than pay huge sums of money to repair or replace, I bought a honda from Craigslist and will just plug in my power cord. It will get me by for the Labor Day week cruise, and it's even quiter than the onan!! Please forgive my cheapness and lack of time. But we will have hot showers and lights for the week!
Chopperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #98
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Time to 'fess up, Al. It'll do you good. I can hardly look at that picture, and think of that poor mama sturgeon.
Good timing, Moonman!! I'll be enjoying some of this fine specimen for dinner tonight!!

Actually, there's nothing to confess here. If you look at the tail, you'll see a sturgeon tag firmly attached noting this as one of my 3 fish I'm allowed to keep this year. This is #2, I'm holding off on keeping number 3 so I can continue fishing for sturgeon. You can see that this fish was properly tagged and cleaned in a technique that allowed its length to be determined by authorities, if needed.

There is a rule in CA that says you cannot clean a fish until you return to land, so on January 16, 2014, I contacted the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife about the issue. They confirmed to me via email that in the case of a live-aboard boat, the fish could be cleaned onboard if a cleaning technique was used that would allow identification of the species and it's total length to ensure regulatory compliance by the angler. The implication was that the carcass would need to be retained until the next time the boat reaches a dock or marina.

So, nice try, Moonstruck, but this act fails to qualify me for this Nauti Buoy thread.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Good timing, Moonman!! I'll be enjoying some of this fine specimen for dinner tonight!!

Actually, there's nothing to confess here. If you look at the tail, you'll see a sturgeon tag firmly attached noting this as one of my 3 fish I'm allowed to keep this year. This is #2, I'm holding off on keeping number 3 so I can continue fishing for sturgeon. You can see that this fish was properly tagged and cleaned in a technique that allowed its length to be determined by authorities, if needed.

There is a rule in CA that says you cannot clean a fish until you return to land, so on January 16, 2014, I contacted the CA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife about the issue. They confirmed to me via email that in the case of a live-aboard boat, the fish could be cleaned onboard if a cleaning technique was used that would allow identification of the species and it's total length to ensure regulatory compliance by the angler. The implication was that the carcass would need to be retained until the next time the boat reaches a dock or marina.

So, nice try, Moonstruck, but this act fails to qualify me for this Nauti Buoy thread.
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Good story. It took awhile to come up with all that. However, we know what you've been doing, but your secret is safe with us. We won't tell.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperguy View Post
I found out that my old onan gen set is most likely dead!! ( not sure i can even get it out of the boat ) so rather than pay huge sums of money to repair or replace, I bought a honda from Craigslist and will just plug in my power cord. It will get me by for the Labor Day week cruise, and it's even quiter than the onan!! Please forgive my cheapness and lack of time. But we will have hot showers and lights for the week!

First of all I knew you were bad boy material just from your forum name...real pilots fly airplanes...you know that because they always tell you that..thats why most will always be in the "other group"....

Secondly...nice job with the Honda....that definitely allows consideration or full membership to the bad boys club. The real icing on the cake is when you join in the discussions on portable generators in the future because you haven't died of CO poisoning and that will piss off one or more of the goodie two shoes.....