Backup cameras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a backup camera on my Nordic Tug and find it pretty useless. They give no sense of depth perception and the wide-angle lens distorts perspective. Just look out the pilothouse and trust real-life.

Understand. I can't see the back from the pilot house nor the sky bridge. But wanted to use the cameras for looking at a scale of a few feet away
From the rear swim platform but with good comments regarding lack of depth perception the use as a backup camera is limited it sounds. But using cameras to see upcoming traffic makes sense and would justify the use

...... wanted to use the cameras for looking at a scale of a few feet away From the rear swim platform but with good comments regarding lack of depth perception the use as a backup camera is limited it sounds.
Wish I had a photo of my back camera to illustrate a point.

While in the slip & on the fly bridge, I turned on the back camera to view the transom. I then climbed down and positioned a long pole from the transom, extending it back beyond the transom.Then, while back on the fly bridge I looked at the image on the plotter to see where the poles length met the top of the plotters image. I then marked the pole and measured that mark's distance from the transom. 10 feet! Now, when I back out of the slip, if I see any object (boat, land, etc,) starting to appear at the top of the camera's image, I know I'm about 10 feet from a collision. Sounds corny but it works for me !

BTW, the below image is of my dinghy while in the slip...I do remove it from there before I back out! :blush:

Attachments

• Dinghy.jpg
    Dinghy.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Wish I had a photo of my back camera to illustrate a point.

While in the slip & on the fly bridge, I turned on the back camera to view the transom. I then climbed down and positioned a long pole from the transom, extending it back beyond the transom.Then, while back on the fly bridge I looked at the image on the plotter to see where the poles length met the top of the plotters image. I then marked the pole and measured that mark's distance from the transom. 10 feet! Now, when I back out of the slip, if I see any object (boat, land, etc,) starting to appear at the top of the camera's image, I know I'm about 10 feet from a collision. Sounds corny but it works for me !

BTW, the below image is of my dinghy while in the slip...I do remove it from there before I back out! :blush:

Not corny I like it. Leave the rib there for a heck of a bumper!

Backup C

Works good to check engine room to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom