Backing Into Slip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah this bumper looks pretty good if I can figure how to mount it on there. Would like to put something over the existing rubber if possible.

http://m.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Corner-Dock-Fender&i=73612

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444865349.135598.jpg

Yeah this bumper looks pretty good if I can figure how to mount it on there. Would like to put something over the existing rubber if possible.

I like that one if you can attach it. Otherwise something like this.

corner bumper.jpg

I back into my slip. My beam is 13'+ and the slip is 16' wide. I have twins and do it from the fly bridge. The first couple of times I had my wife tell me when my swim platform was clear both exiting and entering. Now I know where it is and adjust accordingly. I have two spring lines set for my slip so when backing in we just take the springs off the pilings as we're coming in and drop them on the midship cleats. This stops the boat at just the right time. We then drop lines on the aft and forward cleats in that order. When we leave the slip we reverse that order hanging the dock lines on hooks so they will be ready for our return.

Kevin

I back into my slip. My beam is 13'+ and the slip is 16' wide. I have twins and do it from the fly bridge. The first couple of times I had my wife tell me when my swim platform was clear both exiting and entering. Now I know where it is and adjust accordingly. I have two spring lines set for my slip so when backing in we just take the springs off the pilings as we're coming in and drop them on the midship cleats. This stops the boat at just the right time. We then drop lines on the aft and forward cleats in that order. When we leave the slip we reverse that order hanging the dock lines on hooks so they will be ready for our return.

Kevin

That's a good idea.

Kevin

I actually got yellow duct tape to mark my spring lines where they need to tied off, thinking the same thought process. Although our current prevailing winds (on the stern) will have me mostly tying the stern line first so we can spring forward with it so I can grab the bow lines second. It all depends on your slip and your wind.

I actually got yellow duct tape to mark my spring lines where they need to tied off....
We started with that, moved to spliced permanent loops which we find faster to drop on the cleats,(edit) though you lose the ability to vary length.

You got it Bruce, fixed loops are the go , and yes springer first to stop the boat from slamming into the back of the pen is the go.fairly easy from there.

:thumb::thumb:Cheers Chris D Liberty.

Guess I could get a couple of these to put on the corners. ��

Seems like admitting defeat...

View attachment 45463

If these wheel type fenders are hit hard, they can be torn open and the internal "axle" can do significant damage to your hull.

They are nice for pivoting on, though.

Last edited:
We started with that, moved to spliced permanent loops which we find faster to drop on the cleats,(edit) though you lose the ability to vary length.

Exactly!
All my slip lines have permanent loops as everything is adjusted to where I want it. The transient lines for when I cruise have the loops on the other end so that it's quicker and easier to make adjustments for short term stays.

Ted

Having trouble seeing when backing into slip, does anyone use cameras mounted on back of boat?
Ours came with one, although not critical with a good mate, it makes for a precise stop backing in. It has a wide enough perspective to see both platform corners. I like it a lot.

One of my nearby neighbors routinely backs into his berth. He has twin engines and bow thruster and does it well (and slowly). Haven't seen him do it single-handed yet. ... Haven't yet seen the need to back in myself, however.

Does he actually use the bow thruster when backing in?

Guess I could get a couple of these to put on the corners. ?

Seems like admitting defeat...

I call that Planning Ahead and preventing defeat

For the home slip... we found it easier to pre-adjust that kind of set-up by using the original spliced loop on the pile (pull-through bight, to fit the pile), and then I put bowline loops on the same lines at the boat end.

-Chris

I love the "commitment" and "enthusiasm" with backing in. Especially the guy who jumped overboard!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Chesapeake cowboys in action. It ain't pretty, but it's always intertaining.

Ted

What we have gone to a combination of the above - after a few different trial arrangements - is the following....

one permanent loop that acts as a mid-ship spring and is used only for docking...first line to drop over the cleat. I can do that single handed via helm door if necessary

after that I have time to attach other lines - I have fixed loop at the end but a few are extra long - if winds blowing I can drop one of the bow lines over a cleat / sampson post to catch the bow from blowing too far.

I have enough slack to adjust bow / stern / springs to exactly where I want it and there are 2 "normal" positions
- one if we are remaining aboard and want boat close to dock for boarding...
- another approx mid-slip when we leave the boat for days / weeks unattended.

I strongly prefer a loop at the end as I find them MUCH easier to hang on a hook / piling when leaving than a line w/o a loop, as well as easier to retrieve w/o dropping in the water... but I do prefer the extra length to be able to adjust if / where necessary. colored zip tie works well as a guide for where to cleat off.

I feel this provides the best of both approaches...loop vs bitter end

My lines are permanently attached to the shelter. The ones that attach near the opening are exactly the right length to go to the midships cleats when the boat has stopped advancing into the shelter. I drop these on the cleats as soon after passing them as possible, then I can relax and go to the bow to grab the bow lines when we arrive and are stopped by the stern lines. They also have spliced loops that crop onto the cleats on the boat. The bow lines are exactly the right length to hold the boat in position, just off the dock at the bow, just inside the shelter at the stern, off the sides, and nothing needs adjustment.
For docking elsewhere, I use lines with spliced loops at the boat end and tie to the docks, either to the bullrail (most common) or cleat.

I set up at most slips bow in- mostly for some privacy. At my new live a board slip in Biloxi the short finger piers wouldn't allow this- so I set up for stern in and was allowed to build a small extension dock (these guys are great at Point Cadet) that makes it pretty easy to "one step" up the aft ladder onto the rear deck- even with groceries (and of course- alcohol ;)).
So far I have committed to two fixed/ double loop 5/8 three strand lines I had made up at Ken's Hardware. We have a pretty minimal tide swing, but it does run a bit lower in the winter. I'm watching clearances as the season changes to be sure I can commit to the length of the remaining adjustable lines. If that is the case, I'll have the remaining lines made up permanent, attaching them to "D" rings I already purchased from Amazon, then one set up will be attached to the fore/ port piling at the slip, the other I'll use expansion anchor bolts to secure to the concrete sea wall midship on the starboard side. My goal is a 15 minute departure time :)!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Having trouble seeing when backing into slip, does anyone use cameras mounted on back of boat?

I don't have one but I have seriously considered installing one. Not just to help with docking but to monitor traffic behind me when underway.

Stuff like this is cheap enough now that you could easily buy and install one to see if it helps.

I have seen a few people actually using them for docking and it seems to work for them.

I'am in a covered slip and stern in, on the flybridge I watch the roof and line the radar open array up with the center of the roof. I used to have a windsock hanging from the center but it blew away in a storm a few years ago, I used it long enough that I don't need it now. I can't see the swim platform when backing in but know where to stop to keep from kissing the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I just back in and tie the bitch up!!! Dunno what all the fuss is about!!!:rofl::whistling::dance:

You should be very proud of yourself but that doesn't help the OP or answer his question.

Whoops...sorry. This is serious stuff!!! As you were. No cameras here. Just look over the shoulder...my sun deck door is perfectly position to allow me a sight line to the dock. Not sure if that was an accident or somebody at Carver was thinking....

This is a wordy explaination of how I back into our slip.

Our slip is on the east side of our fairway. Entrance is north. I enter from the north of course but since my tie is on the north (west) side if I entered it bow first the centrifugal force of the turn would make my boat prone to drift into the other boat in the south part of the slip.

So I go past my slip and turn around turning to port since I back to stbd.

Coming up on my slip I aim for a spot to the left (west) of my slip (the boats on the other side) and back w the propwalk helping turn the boat parallel to the open slip. Then I use the propwalk to help avoid hitting the other boat in the slip and pulling the stern to my side of the slip where I'm well fendered.

The whole thing is repeatable excluding wind and current that will determine which way to aim the bow to the boats on the other float and soon the magic spot will be found. Aiming for a spot to one side of the usual spot will alter the result to account for wind and current.

When I turn left toward the spot I use full left rudder and leave it there until I need fwd gear to stop the boat. Since I have 3 turns lock to lock I give the helm 1.5 turns to stbd for a straight rudder to stop with.

You are all funny..... everyone is backing into "our" slip. Does that mean you leave your slip, motor around and come back home? One needs to learn to back in anywhere.... anytime. Asses the space, where the pilings are, current, wind and all that. OP, take a few small fenders, line and rock and make a slip, somewhere out 500 feet from shore. Start large, and make it smaller and smaller until you know instinctively what the boat will do. May take a while, but THAT is learning boat handling.

And as to your original question... if you can't see the back of the boat, because there's a divider between the bridge and the salon, yes..... a camera could be helpful. That, or a set of engine controls somewhere on the ass end of the boat. Don't need a rudder, just two shifters.... and maybe throttles.

I will say...this lil lady and her line handling make me look good....in more ways than one!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5013.jpg
    IMG_5013.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 224
Back
Top Bottom