Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #41

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Having trouble seeing when backing into slip, does anyone use cameras mounted on back of boat?
Ours came with one, although not critical with a good mate, it makes for a precise stop backing in. It has a wide enough perspective to see both platform corners. I like it a lot.
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
One of my nearby neighbors routinely backs into his berth. He has twin engines and bow thruster and does it well (and slowly). Haven't seen him do it single-handed yet. ... Haven't yet seen the need to back in myself, however.
Does he actually use the bow thruster when backing in?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #43
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Quote:
Guess I could get a couple of these to put on the corners. 😳

Seems like admitting defeat...
I call that Planning Ahead and preventing defeat
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #44
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We started with that, moved to spliced permanent loops which we find faster to drop on the cleats,(edit) though you lose the ability to vary length.

For the home slip... we found it easier to pre-adjust that kind of set-up by using the original spliced loop on the pile (pull-through bight, to fit the pile), and then I put bowline loops on the same lines at the boat end.

-Chris
Old 12-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #45

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
This . https://youtu.be/cXWiMMSg4ZI
captrigney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #46
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I love the "commitment" and "enthusiasm" with backing in. Especially the guy who jumped overboard!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 12-11-2015, 08:17 AM   #47
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Especially the guy who jumped overboard!!
✌️

That's usually how I tie my boat up.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Chesapeake cowboys in action. It ain't pretty, but it's always intertaining.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
We started with that, moved to spliced permanent loops which we find faster to drop on the cleats,(edit) though you lose the ability to vary length.
What we have gone to a combination of the above - after a few different trial arrangements - is the following....

one permanent loop that acts as a mid-ship spring and is used only for docking...first line to drop over the cleat. I can do that single handed via helm door if necessary

after that I have time to attach other lines - I have fixed loop at the end but a few are extra long - if winds blowing I can drop one of the bow lines over a cleat / sampson post to catch the bow from blowing too far.

I have enough slack to adjust bow / stern / springs to exactly where I want it and there are 2 "normal" positions
- one if we are remaining aboard and want boat close to dock for boarding...
- another approx mid-slip when we leave the boat for days / weeks unattended.

I strongly prefer a loop at the end as I find them MUCH easier to hang on a hook / piling when leaving than a line w/o a loop, as well as easier to retrieve w/o dropping in the water... but I do prefer the extra length to be able to adjust if / where necessary. colored zip tie works well as a guide for where to cleat off.

I feel this provides the best of both approaches...loop vs bitter end
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #50
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Seen this in Rock Hall. Taken VERY seriously.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #51
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
My lines are permanently attached to the shelter. The ones that attach near the opening are exactly the right length to go to the midships cleats when the boat has stopped advancing into the shelter. I drop these on the cleats as soon after passing them as possible, then I can relax and go to the bow to grab the bow lines when we arrive and are stopped by the stern lines. They also have spliced loops that crop onto the cleats on the boat. The bow lines are exactly the right length to hold the boat in position, just off the dock at the bow, just inside the shelter at the stern, off the sides, and nothing needs adjustment.
For docking elsewhere, I use lines with spliced loops at the boat end and tie to the docks, either to the bullrail (most common) or cleat.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #52
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I set up at most slips bow in- mostly for some privacy. At my new live a board slip in Biloxi the short finger piers wouldn't allow this- so I set up for stern in and was allowed to build a small extension dock (these guys are great at Point Cadet) that makes it pretty easy to "one step" up the aft ladder onto the rear deck- even with groceries (and of course- alcohol ).
So far I have committed to two fixed/ double loop 5/8 three strand lines I had made up at Ken's Hardware. We have a pretty minimal tide swing, but it does run a bit lower in the winter. I'm watching clearances as the season changes to be sure I can commit to the length of the remaining adjustable lines. If that is the case, I'll have the remaining lines made up permanent, attaching them to "D" rings I already purchased from Amazon, then one set up will be attached to the fore/ port piling at the slip, the other I'll use expansion anchor bolts to secure to the concrete sea wall midship on the starboard side. My goal is a 15 minute departure time !!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 12-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #53
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Having trouble seeing when backing into slip, does anyone use cameras mounted on back of boat?
I don't have one but I have seriously considered installing one. Not just to help with docking but to monitor traffic behind me when underway.

Stuff like this is cheap enough now that you could easily buy and install one to see if it helps.

I have seen a few people actually using them for docking and it seems to work for them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #54
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:

I'am in a covered slip and stern in, on the flybridge I watch the roof and line the radar open array up with the center of the roof. I used to have a windsock hanging from the center but it blew away in a storm a few years ago, I used it long enough that I don't need it now. I can't see the swim platform when backing in but know where to stop to keep from kissing the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 12-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #55
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I just back in and tie the bitch up!!! Dunno what all the fuss is about!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #56
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I just back in and tie the bitch up!!! Dunno what all the fuss is about!!!
You should be very proud of yourself but that doesn't help the OP or answer his question.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
You should be very proud of yourself but that doesn't help the OP or answer his question.
Whoops...sorry. This is serious stuff!!! As you were. No cameras here. Just look over the shoulder...my sun deck door is perfectly position to allow me a sight line to the dock. Not sure if that was an accident or somebody at Carver was thinking....
Old 12-11-2015, 04:03 PM   #58
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This is a wordy explaination of how I back into our slip.

Our slip is on the east side of our fairway. Entrance is north. I enter from the north of course but since my tie is on the north (west) side if I entered it bow first the centrifugal force of the turn would make my boat prone to drift into the other boat in the south part of the slip.

So I go past my slip and turn around turning to port since I back to stbd.

Coming up on my slip I aim for a spot to the left (west) of my slip (the boats on the other side) and back w the propwalk helping turn the boat parallel to the open slip. Then I use the propwalk to help avoid hitting the other boat in the slip and pulling the stern to my side of the slip where I'm well fendered.

The whole thing is repeatable excluding wind and current that will determine which way to aim the bow to the boats on the other float and soon the magic spot will be found. Aiming for a spot to one side of the usual spot will alter the result to account for wind and current.

When I turn left toward the spot I use full left rudder and leave it there until I need fwd gear to stop the boat. Since I have 3 turns lock to lock I give the helm 1.5 turns to stbd for a straight rudder to stop with.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #59
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
You are all funny..... everyone is backing into "our" slip. Does that mean you leave your slip, motor around and come back home? One needs to learn to back in anywhere.... anytime. Asses the space, where the pilings are, current, wind and all that. OP, take a few small fenders, line and rock and make a slip, somewhere out 500 feet from shore. Start large, and make it smaller and smaller until you know instinctively what the boat will do. May take a while, but THAT is learning boat handling.

And as to your original question... if you can't see the back of the boat, because there's a divider between the bridge and the salon, yes..... a camera could be helpful. That, or a set of engine controls somewhere on the ass end of the boat. Don't need a rudder, just two shifters.... and maybe throttles.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #60

I will say...this lil lady and her line handling make me look good....in more ways than one!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5013.jpg