Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
yo
Veteran Member

RE: Backing

We back in also , unless the wind is blowing real* hard then we pull in.

also better to socialize, most other boats on dock are back in.

yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #22

Bow in. Nice to have the fairway as a backdrop when enjoying the aft deck. There is no privacy the other way.

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
mahal wrote:
Bow in. Nice to have the fairway as a backdrop when enjoying the aft deck. There is no privacy the other way.
* * * ** Ditto
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Double ditto.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:mahal wrote:
* * * ** Ditto

*We are bow in as well. Part of the reason is that there are triangular fillers where our finger pier meets the main float, which forces the boat three feet further into the fairway if backed in. Another factor is that we are single screw, and not having precise steerage when backing, it's easier to do my backing into the wide fairway than the narrow slip. Given no wind and a little bow thruster, I can back in, and I do for temporary work on the boat.

I would however likely go bow in for the same reasons you mention.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
Master and Commander

Quote:
Carey wrote:
*We are bow in as well. Part of the reason is that there are triangular fillers where our finger pier meets the main float, which forces the boat three feet further into the fairway if backed in.
*Ditto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bow overlook.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	9518  
Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Backing

Quote:
rocheport wrote....
Quote:
Back out, the starboard walk swings the boat in the right direction to go ahead. Also pull in on starboard side, then reverse pulls the stern into the dock. It is like having a stern thruster.........
Quote:
Ditto for me exactly, in fact 7tiger7's reason below is about the only reason I could imagine one would normally want to reverse in - short finger and unable to access boarding platform and transom gate.* Especially if you only have a single.* Having said that, no doubt someone will think of something...yes we know twins are different...and ferry masters can make singles actually talk...but in the real world...
Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:
Quote:
I back in, and pull out. I board the boat from the swim platform, if I went bow in I wouldn't be able to get on board (I could jump off the pulpit to the dock though.... maybe:
:-D
*PS. Another reason we tend to not back in unless we have twins is our marinas here in Aus tend to have 2 boats between fingers, so one docks to st'bd and one to port, and if things go pear-shaped backing in, more damage to the other boat is likely.* I have actually had to fend off someone doing exactly that when my berth partner boat, even with twins, got crossed up backing in and even fending him off with a boathook he put a nasty gouge in my gunwhale cap.* I see many of you have a finger each side, so if you drift off it is only finger you hit - hopefully padded on the edge.

-- Edited by Peter B on Monday 16th of January 2012 04:46:44 AM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

In our Marina, all the finger docks are attached directly to the shore, so the policy is bow-in for everyone to avoid excessive shoreline erosion from the propwash. We're in a very exposed location for wind, and I guess I'd prefer to be stern-in to point the bow into the prevailing, but that's the only plus I can think of. Bow in, we enjoy the sunsets from the cockpit, instead of staring at marina buildings.

Nick
tachyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Frankly, since we only have a single finger pier, it depends on what side of the boat we need to work on that often dictates bow or stern docking.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Backing

I prefer to go bow in. Makes life simpler.

[img]download.spark?ID=1065025&aBID=115492[/img]

-- Edited by dwhatty on Monday 16th of January 2012 06:46:39 AM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
markpierce wrote:rwidman wrote:
Nearly everyone at my marina backs into their slips. All the wet slip holders do. Once in a while a dry stack customer will take a slip for a weekend and a few of them pull in.

It's a pretty social place so there's a lot of getting on and off the boats, entertaining, etc. We couldn't do that bow in.
*What do your marina mates think of*those (non-believers)*who dock bow-in?* With boats stern-to-stern, are there frequent and loud conversations between boats?**Are all/most the vessels*twin-engined motorboats with few or no sailboats?*

Most of us don't know the people who dock bow in and they are only in the water for a day or two.* They come to the marina, get in the boat and go.* Come back, get out of the boat and leave.* Dockhands will put the boat back in the drystack racks.

No frequent loud conversations between boats.* Actually, most of us put tables and chairs behind our boats when we are at the marina and we walk up and down the dock socializing and sharing food and drink.* A couple days ago, I was working on my boat and a friend from the other dock came over and invited me over for steamed oysters.

The marina's permit prohibits sailboats so there are no sailboats.* The vessels are single and twin engined motorboats.

BTW:* When the dockhands put a drystack boat in a slip for a customer, they dock it stern in.* Every time.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #32

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Backing in wouldn't be a problem, but we are bow in so that we can enjoy the scenery and the wildlife from our aft cockpit! *
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #33
Guru

I didn't buy a boat in order to socialize every minute of every day. I bought a boat to go out and enjoy the sights, read a book, even watch television, without interuption. So I pull bow in most of the time which fits the slip better, what with the triangle filler piece in most docks, and gives me the peace and quiet I went boating for. If you see me out puttering, then a friendly howdy or comment on my boat or the weather works well to start a conversation. Hey, it just dawned on me, maybe this is why my BBQ at home is on the back deck and not on the sidewalk out front.

If socializing is why you boat, then by all means back in along with a bunch of like minded folks and have a great time. That's not why everyone goes boating, and there's nothing wrong with either one of us.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #34
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Maybe I should have mentioned that stern in, it's just a matter of stepping off the dock onto the swim platform. Getting on and off the boat is much more complicated if it's docked bow in, especially when carrying food or supplies.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Backing

Mr Hawkins,

Beautiful picture of your boat! And I agree ...it's simpler. Any fool knows it's easier to run a boat in a straight line ahead than astern so it seems there are a lot of guys here bragg'in about their abilities to back their boat ......including me. But no mater how much I back my boat I'm never going to tell anyone that backing is as easy as going fwd. So it's amazing how many here on this thread choose the more difficult method to land their boat in their home slip. When I walk the docks (floats) I'm sure that over 80% of boats are bow in. And of the boats I see more of them are twin screw than on this forum but then this is coming from an old man without a thruster on either end and that probably is skewing my take on this. But if I had 15 thrusters I'm sure going bow into a slip would be easier. Going into a slip one can control the bow to a great extent w the stern but getting the stern between the float and the other boat (that one dos'nt want to touch) w little or no control (assuming no thruster) it's an accident waiting to happen. I'm assuming most all the backers here have at least one thruster. The more I think about it .. it really should'nt be much more difficult to back w no wind or current w a bow thruster. Perhaps I should get one but there are other things I want and if I had a thruster I think I'd want a stern thruster. Just say'in.

Eric

Someth'in I forgot to mention is that I think the vast majority of boat slips have a triangular wedge blocking the corner of of the slip so backing in anything but a double ender would only be practical if one had a slip about 3' longer than the boat. An exception to that would be an outboard as most all leave their OB leg in the up position in the slip. Wish they'd do that as that would get a lot of sharp SS props out of the fairway.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 16th of January 2012 11:45:36 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Several people talk of there boat backing to starboard. Most single screw back to port.

Curious as to how many people have left turn props.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
Master and Commander

I have a left turning prop (in the prop shop when photo taken), so the Coot backs to starboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1478.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	9521  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
I have a left turning prop (in the prop shop when photo taken), so the Coot backs to starboard.
*Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having a right hand prop or left?

SD
Old 01-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #39
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Backing

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:markpierce wrote:
*Is there an advantage or disadvantage to having a right hand prop or left?

SD

Good question. I don't think there is, accept maybe as it relates to your actual dock arrangement in your home slip. In my case, I have a right hand rotation in forward, which is great when it comes to going forward into my starboard finger pier. However, the opposite would be beneficial when backing out.

Most importantly, the advantage comes in understanding your rotation and how it effects your backing. In my case, although the boat theoretically backs to port, it is not severe at all. I really don't notice the port tendency until I reach a couple knots in reverse.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 16th of January 2012 12:44:24 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
Guru

Backing

A twin walks to starboard in reverse both engines reverse, idle, rudder amidship?

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 16th of January 2012 12:53:33 PM