Backing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The secret to maneuvering a single is to never forget that you are steering the stern, like driving a forklift, NOT steering the bow like driving a car.

I've backed big single screw like tugs and ships. When backing, current, wind, prop will always put you to one side. The rudder is usually near useless. Since it is, I put the rudder over in the direction the stern is going anyway and depending on speed, go ahead every so often. Just enough to push the stern a little in the opposite direction, go astern and wait until it's time to go ahead again.
I've backed down narrow channels and around bends this way, many times.
If you back into the same dock, same current with the same effect all the time, make a drag to run on the side you're turning away from. With a little experimenting you can get the backing reasonably straight.

Interesting idea. I dock bow it, and my slip is angled. The fairway behind me as I back out is narrower than the length of my boat and I have to back out to starboard. With certain winds or currents, this can be a challenge. I have played with various spring line combinations to no avail. The drag idea is interesting though.....

I've backed big single screw like tugs and ships. When backing, current, wind, prop will always put you to one side. The rudder is usually near useless. Since it is, I put the rudder over in the direction the stern is going anyway and depending on speed, go ahead every so often. Just enough to push the stern a little in the opposite direction, go astern and wait until it's time to go ahead again.
I've backed down narrow channels and around bends this way, many times.

That technique is called "Back and Fill".

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom