Back in the water...Exciting day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No Mast

Guru
Vessel Name
Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Make
Selene 53
Today is an exciting day for us. In an hour or so we'll be back in the water! When we bought the Selene we knew it was, to some extents, a project to get a boat that had sat idle for six years back in prime shape. The big item this winter was rebuilding the Cummins. Thats now finished, and heres hoping it starts :)

If all remains on schedule we'll be on the move again in a week. Leaving Charleston and going to Savannah for a bit of a shakedown and to celebrate St. Patricks day down there.

Congrats. We will go out in two weeks from now for the first time after three years having a long to do list ...
' Hand breit Wasser unter dem Kiel!

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden

Great to hear, Harry! I didn't even know you were rebuilding the beast. Was the rebuild job brought on by sitting idle for 6 years without being pickled?

Great to hear, Harry! I didn't even know you were rebuilding the beast. Was the rebuild job brought on by sitting idle for 6 years without being pickled?

After cooler core failed and started leaking small amount of saltwater which made it way into #6 cylinder. We first noticed that with the IR thermometer along the valve cover the last cylinder was 10 deg hotter than the rest. So we had Cummins pull the top end off and check it out.

Turns out the after cooler has a zinc in the top and one in the bottom. They removed the top zinc and used that connection to supply raw water for the stabilizers. Sure enough ten years later the top of the core failed. Now it has two zincs again and we've reworked the stabilizer raw water intake.

At purchase time, we knew we were doing a top end job within 2 years of buying the boat. We had budgeted for it, so this didn't hurt the wallet as much as it could have.

haay.gif

Interesting, my Cummins never seemed to erode the top zinc probably because it was only in water when actually running. How many hours on the engine?

Interesting, my Cummins never seemed to erode the top zinc probably because it was only in water when actually running. How many hours on the engine?

2700 over ten years. But mostly idle in the last six. The mechanic said the top and bottom zincs will erode at vastly different rates, but guess it's there for a reason, exhibit "a" being our engine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom