Back to sailing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boydster

Vessel Name
Change of Heart
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
Post deleted - personal reasons

Last edited:
What does your wife want to do? There is your answer.

I'm quite honestly torn.
Like many here we're ex-sailors but we're also relatively young to be trawler owners. We've had our Grand Banks for about six years now and love the boat. We may soon have the opportunity to become the custodians of a rather stunning and meticulously maintained custom built sailboat...
Well, you are certainly in the right place to enjoy day sailing.
It would be nice think you could keep both but should I be watching Craigslist?
:)

drb - I grew up on both power and sail, she was strictly sail. For her it's a no brainer.

Hawgwash, as much as I would like to keep the GB, my Campion runabout AND the sailboat...I simply can't afford it. We'll either have to pass on the sailboat or put Change of Heart up for sale. Hoping nothing will have to happen until spring (or later)...fingers crossed.

You may be wistfully daydreaming about another sailboat.

But you'll be right back in the same dilemma about 'why you switched to a trawler' again in a year or two.

One thing that I like about trawlerin' is I don't get bruised and have to walk on a heeled deck. (The wife REALLY likes that too). When the wind blows we stay put. Why did you decide to get out of sailboats again??

I did a lot of sailing. Performance sailing on fast sailboats. I could never understand why anybody would want to put up with a slow wet uncomfortable non responsive cruising sailboat. Racing sailboats that plane, or multihulls that can average speeds in the teens and even into the 20's that's a whole different experience. Maybe a motor sailer that actually had some room in it.

But you'll be right back in the same dilemma about 'why you switched to a trawler' again in a year or two.
While I was having breakfast yesterday at my favorite eatery, I noticed a guy (40sh?) who was having back pain and trouble standing. I offered to help but he declined the offer and said he had been crewing on a friend's sail boat for two days with no real comfortable place to sit. Even though it happens every time he sails he continues to sail! Now, that's a love of sailing!

While I was having breakfast yesterday at my favorite eatery, I noticed a guy (40sh?) who was having back pain and trouble standing. I offered to help but he declined the offer and said he had been crewing on a friend's sail boat for two days with no real comfortable place to sit. Even though it happens every time he sails he continues to sail! Now, that's a love of sailing!

There you go, perfect example of the contrast. Or when I sail I have to wear really expensive sailing gloves so my (pansy/office-soft) hands don't get shredded. I never have to wear gloves on the cabin cruiser.

... Maybe a motor sailer that actually had some room in it.

Doubt one would get the sailing performance desired. Speaking of which, Sunday we motored (6 knots) through a racing fleet twice (both going and coming) whose course was from Vallejo to central SF Bay. The winds were light and the course to windward. We left about 75 minutes after the last starter and caught up with the leaders at Brothers Islands where we turned around. The front-runners consisted of trimarans. Unsurprisingly, the good-sized (50-foot?) motorsailer, however, had dropped to dead last.

http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread.php?1552-2015-Vallejo-1-2-Race

Last edited:
Hey Boyd, think about going to Princess Louisa at New Years...in a sailboat. Cruiser suit, thick gloves etc etc. $5 says you never put up the sails but you motor the entire way and back. Standing in the cockpit with your hand frozen to the helm. Climbing down a ladder to get into the dinghy. Climbing up a ladder to get out of the dinghy. Putting your wet duds on in the cold morning to get going again...am I getting through? Besides, you put enough work into your 42 that you could never sell her for what you've done.

Back
Top Bottom