Old 10-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #21

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Might be time for a new pump. The condition of the housing might be the cause of all those impeller failures.
I plan on replacing the pump when I get the boat.

When the dealer took the boat in on trade in Feb 2014, they had their mechanics service the boat which included cleaning the gen heat exchanger and impeller.
Then in July the fellow who had been using the boat ( a deep pocketed friend of the boat brokerage owner) had about 10k worth of work done on the boat ( bottom paint, new cutlass bearings, impellers, oil change, ac work, etc) I think it was a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing in terms of servicing the boat. I'm not sure the deep pocketed friend even looked at the 4 pages of invoices.
Then when they brought in a different mechanic after I surveyed the boat , they
rreplaced the heat exchanger, some heat sensor that was on the heat exchanger and replaced a bad impeller.
At this point, I own the boat and plan on doing what ever is needed to bring things up to par.
All the batteries were replaced in 2010, so I'm not sure when they should all be replaced. How long do they usually last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Nice vessel. And I've always felt that with the pilothouse type design, surely a flybridge is superfluous..?
Thank you!
The nice thing about this boat, is it was built with the option of adding a flybridge in the future. It had all the chases and a different false stack design.

Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Originally Posted by Peter B
Nice vessel. And I've always felt that with the pilothouse type design, surely a flybridge is superfluous..?

Now now Pete. Be nice

Old 10-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Auburn, Washington
Vessel Name: ???????
Vessel Model: ???????
Nice looking boat. Way to go
ALL IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 PM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Really nice looking craft - Congrats!

Seems most if not all service items have already been accomplished.

However, unless you feel very confident in your prowess... Before you go test cruising, when it first arrives and gets docked, I recommend you have qualified marine mechanic carefully look things over. 2 to 4 hrs +/- could save a bunch of headache if perchance there were a glitch about to happen somehow/somewhere. When you do a full-on shakedown I also recommend you have at least one person aboard that is knowledgeable regarding mechanisms present on that boat... in so far as understanding items that may/may not occur and how to handle the affair if something does happen.

Little note here: When I got my Tollycraft I had full knowledge of the many, many services accomplished just before purchase. Then, I hired a well known marine mechanic to go over things and to alter a few situations in ways I preferred. Mechanic and I took her out for about an hour with engine hatches open and all went A-OK. She seemed in great condition; sooo…, next day, off I went with wife and a couple friends (fellow being a long time well versed boater). We headed toward Golden Gate Bridge for about two hours, went under and turned around heading back deeper into the bay. Couple more hours cruise and I set hook just off China Camp beach, a historic location. Was a bit breezy so we left bridge to have lunch in salon with the gals. While there I decided to open one hatch to ER in salon floor. That’s when I learned a problem. Starboard motor’s raw water pump had developed a fracture. There was over 6” sea water throughout bilge center. Three bilge pumps made short order of that as it was not leaking unless motor was running. And, even with motor running engine remained cool with pumps easily able to handle leak.

Soon repaired with new pump… and life goes on!

But, when ya least expect it – Expect It!

Happy New Boat Daze! – Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #25
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Congratulations for hanging in there! Now it's enjoy time. Also doesn't hurt that the weather is cooler than when you first arrived.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:54 AM   #26

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Congratulations for hanging in there! Now it's enjoy time. Also doesn't hurt that the weather is cooler than when you first arrived.
I want to thank you again for all your great advice in negotiating for my tug.
They didn't "bite" but I learned a lot and I still got the boat I wanted for a decent price..

Thank you again!

Joe
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #27

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
What kind of anchor is on it...😝 great boat!
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #28
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
I want to thank you again for all your great advice in negotiating for my tug.
They didn't "bite" but I learned a lot and I still got the boat I wanted for a decent price..

Thank you again!

Joe

bligh is offline   Reply With Quote