Awkward situation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Workin' on my boat today up on top of the sun deck roof. Noticed the 50' sailboat across the way, gettin' ready to leave the dock. The owner, was below while his guests took in the lines and dropped the power cord into the water. One of the guests pulled the power cord through the water, the whole length of the boat, and coiled it up on the dock. By the time I got down, the boat had left the slip, and we were headin' home. I don't know if I would have told the skipper what happened and embarrassed his guests. On the other hand, he might have been able to do something to prevent the salt water from wickin' into the cable. What would you have done? :confused:

Skipper left unknowing guests in charge of power cord. Skipper gets to replace power cord sooner than might otherwise be required.

Must people don't take too kindly to advise from strangers, so I'd let it go. But that's just me.

Then again the cord end may over heat and catch on fire down the road. So you might want to at least leave him a note with a heads up.

Ancora,

I thought maybe your awkward situation might go something like this.

Capt. goes below with guest's wife.
Guest "accidentally" drops the shore power chord into salt water.
. . . . . and your quandary was . . . . should you tell the guest or the captain.

Last edited:
I agree with Capt. Bill. Put a note in a ziplock bag to the effect that the power cable end went in the water and tape it to the end of the cable.

If this had happened to our cord without my knowledge I'd sure appreciate someone telling me or leaving a note to that effect so I could clean off the salt and put dialectric grease on the connector lugs before plugging it in again.

That's one of the reasons I like to single hand. Not that I have not dropped a chord in the water and then had to fresh water flush and dry, but I was aware of the problem and thus able to deal with it. I get up tight when I have green horns aboard especially my sail boats. I end up spending more time worrying about their safety and keeping them out of trouble than tending to the boat. With the motor boat not as much of an issue but I would never allow green horns or even boaters I was not really familiar with their ability or habits to do any significant functions that I did not observe or supervise on my boat. This attitude is not very social but I don't perceive boating as a totally social activity. Just call me Captain Blye or however its spelled.

If someone saw my cord fall in the water, I'd appreciate knowing it. It's not really advice..it's just a fact.

I'd leave a note on the cord.

This attitude is not very social but I don't perceive boating as a totally social activity. Just call me Captain Blye or however its spelled.

It's Bligh, and I agree with your perception of greenhorns on boats. We allow (or invite if one prefers the more politically correct term) very few people on our boats. But even they were newbies to our kind of boating at the start although most of them had boating experience of some sort prior to their coming on a cruise with us.

The way we dealt with it, and still do, is is that when getting the boat ready to go, departing the slip, dockings and un-dockings during the cruise, and coming home, my wife has charge of the deck crew unless she's driving, in which case I do.

Whoever is in charge of the deck crew is present with them at all times and rules them with an iron hand (or tongue).

Along with this rule is another rule that says whoever is driving the boat keeps his or her mouth shut with regards to talking to the deck crew (unless it's perceived to be an emergency) and communicates only with the person in charge of the deckhands. This is to prevent inexperienced helpers from getting conflicting commands which, we leaned the hard way, can lead to Problems.

This system has worked out very well for us over the years, and results in our guests being effective helpers which in turn makes the trip that much more enjoyable to them.

Last edited:
I take the power cord with me, and would never leave it to any guest to disconnect that. However, in this situation, I think, if I had access to his finger, I'd just quietly go over and give the thing a quick fresh water wash, a squirt of CRC into the plug, and let it go. I don't think much harm would arise with such a quick dunk anyway, so no biggie.

Was the other end of the cord still plugged into the pedestal ?

Attachments

• sPicture 017.jpg
    sPicture 017.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 122
  • sPicture 013.jpg
    sPicture 013.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 122
Can do either and not feel bad...

Unless it is an aftermarket plug...chances are little or no water got in...and if it did...chances of really getting the salt out are pretty slim. Sure attempts can be made....but in reality not sure I have ever seen positive proof of the presence or removal of salt beyond the first cavity. If you are going to prevent wicking....it really needed to be done right away.

So just go with your feeling.....me...I would say something as it tells a bit about the crew in general and gives the skipper info he didn't have before...all plusses in my book and no negatives. It is up to him to confront the crew. I would want to know....but you have to see how the situation would go.

Thinking about it...if I knew the guy even a tad and I had the time... I would have done the rinse and water displacing spray immediately as then is the best time to do it if it is going to help at all. Then I would have told him. Some people are trusted to do about anything around the docks and you get that rep by doing the right thing at the right time....and most people like you for it.

Last edited:
Yikes, what a dangerous rat's nest - but all too common, we see that on our docks all the time.

Boatpoker...
was that a char spot on the plug in the lower photo or just dirty???

Disaster waiting to happen!
Now there's a good question....
How many would approach the owner and recommend he consider a new cord & inlet plug?
I certainly would and have... and had several sincere thank you's when I explained the risk.

Disaster waiting to happen!
Now there's a good question....
How many would approach the owner and recommend he consider a new cord & inlet plug?
I certainly would and have... and had several sincere thank you's when I explained the risk.

In less than 15 minutes at Port Credit Yacht Club I took 20 photos of dangerous shore power cord issues like the two I posted. Not one owner appreciated the issues being pointed out and none took any action.

Attachments

• sAC Cardboard box.jpg
    sAC Cardboard box.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 121
  • s8a.gif
    s8a.gif
    108.4 KB · Views: 112
  • shore power 1.gif
    shore power 1.gif
    95.3 KB · Views: 109
Scarey!
I've used the attached to help inform others rather than try to convince them I was the expert telling them what to do... but I hear you some already know it all and not willing to learn.

Attachments

• SeaworthyJul10.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
So many boat fires from bad shore cord connections. One sportfish burned up here last year, a trawler a couple years ago. Both repaired, but heavy cost. Trawler still has that stink in it.

Those shore cord connections are really sketchy in my book. Seen so many scorched cords that only through good luck did NOT catch the boat on fire. We've all seen those burnt cords as pic'd above.

So even without getting dunked, these things are dangerous in my book. It's just not that robust an electrical connection. Not sealed very well, or at all.

We were on our way to Catalina and stopped off at Dana Point and took a slip at the Harbor Patrol guest dock. The next morning we had no shore power, so we investigated and found a repair guy replacing receptacles on the dock. He could not understand why he was always replacin' burned out receptacles. I showed him a boat that had no plug, just the wires jammed into the receptacle. Happens all the time when the boater does not have the proper plug for the receptacle configuration. The Harbor Police are supposed to watch for this but were remiss in their duties.

I would have call the boat owner on the radio and alerted him of the dangerous accident.

Re The above, Todays ignorant boat owners seem to hate being told about their mistakes no matter how kindly you try to do it.

[

Re The above, Todays ignorant boat owners seem to hate being told about their mistakes no matter how kindly you try to do it.[/QUOTE]

I have come across similar attitudes even when life threatening situations were pointed out. It seems some people perceive boating as their eminent domains unassailable by reason logic or knowledge and it maters not that you sugar coat the advise or factual information you present. I once stopped on the road to help a man slumped over his steering wheel. He was in obvious need of medical attention and refused my help or my seeking help for him. Turns out he was a bus driver and did not want the incident reported. What does that say about human nature.

"Call the boat owner on the radio?" I have been in bluewater boating over half a century and have NEVER been able to contact a sailboat skipper on the VHF.

Didn't have a VHF on the two sailboats I extensively sailed. Have no doubt sailboats with VHFs have their radio in the cabin and not in the cockpit where the boat is controlled. Blow your horn to attract their attention. Signal a warning for your intention if needed.

Hence my all-time favorite name for a sailboat: "Oblivious."

Hence my all-time favorite name for a sailboat: "Oblivious."

Sorry but I have to come to the defense of sailors. While sailing I have come across enough power boats Oblivious. I think its just pot luck and human nature has noting to do with the boat type besides many trawler owners are aging sailors. Actually some of the very knowledgeable power boaters I come across are ex sailors. I don't think its the boat type. Another issue with sail boats is it takes much more effort and attention to just manage the boat in a breeze very different than siting in a wheel house or fly bride where a radio is not a big distraction. When I single handed my J/35 J/44 and J/100 there was rarely time to mess with the radio. All my attention went to the boat and what was out in the water around me.

I never owned a sailboat and all the ones I sailed both in the USA and the 2 in the Caribbean, I don't think there was one that had a radio. This was in the 70s and 80s and most were day rentals. Funny, didn't know enough back then to be worried about it. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Ted

Absolutely. I realize there are idiots in the world, but don't punish the bulk of us because someone might find your warning offensive.

Back
Top Bottom