Old 01-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #21
Guru

We were on our way to Catalina and stopped off at Dana Point and took a slip at the Harbor Patrol guest dock. The next morning we had no shore power, so we investigated and found a repair guy replacing receptacles on the dock. He could not understand why he was always replacin' burned out receptacles. I showed him a boat that had no plug, just the wires jammed into the receptacle. Happens all the time when the boater does not have the proper plug for the receptacle configuration. The Harbor Police are supposed to watch for this but were remiss in their duties.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
I would have call the boat owner on the radio and alerted him of the dangerous accident.

Re The above, Todays ignorant boat owners seem to hate being told about their mistakes no matter how kindly you try to do it.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #23
Guru

[

Re The above, Todays ignorant boat owners seem to hate being told about their mistakes no matter how kindly you try to do it.[/QUOTE]

I have come across similar attitudes even when life threatening situations were pointed out. It seems some people perceive boating as their eminent domains unassailable by reason logic or knowledge and it maters not that you sugar coat the advise or factual information you present. I once stopped on the road to help a man slumped over his steering wheel. He was in obvious need of medical attention and refused my help or my seeking help for him. Turns out he was a bus driver and did not want the incident reported. What does that say about human nature.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #24
Guru

"Call the boat owner on the radio?" I have been in bluewater boating over half a century and have NEVER been able to contact a sailboat skipper on the VHF.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Didn't have a VHF on the two sailboats I extensively sailed. Have no doubt sailboats with VHFs have their radio in the cabin and not in the cockpit where the boat is controlled. Blow your horn to attract their attention. Signal a warning for your intention if needed.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #26
Guru

Hence my all-time favorite name for a sailboat: "Oblivious."
Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Hence my all-time favorite name for a sailboat: "Oblivious."
Sorry but I have to come to the defense of sailors. While sailing I have come across enough power boats Oblivious. I think its just pot luck and human nature has noting to do with the boat type besides many trawler owners are aging sailors. Actually some of the very knowledgeable power boaters I come across are ex sailors. I don't think its the boat type. Another issue with sail boats is it takes much more effort and attention to just manage the boat in a breeze very different than siting in a wheel house or fly bride where a radio is not a big distraction. When I single handed my J/35 J/44 and J/100 there was rarely time to mess with the radio. All my attention went to the boat and what was out in the water around me.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I never owned a sailboat and all the ones I sailed both in the USA and the 2 in the Caribbean, I don't think there was one that had a radio. This was in the 70s and 80s and most were day rentals. Funny, didn't know enough back then to be worried about it. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
"Call the boat owner on the radio?" I have been in bluewater boating over half a century and have NEVER been able to contact a sailboat skipper on the VHF.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Ditto
Absolutely. I realize there are idiots in the world, but don't punish the bulk of us because someone might find your warning offensive.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #31
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
I was a sailor before buying a trawler so I know lots of sailors. I can't think of a single one that does not have and use a radio. Plus I came across plenty of oblivious power boaters. Although some were oblivious, others were just plain rude or just didn't give a flip about anyone but themselves. People are people no matter what kind of boat their on. If a jerk trades in his sailboat for a power boat he will still be a jerk and vise verses.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #32
Guru

Indeed sailboat don't seem to monitor the radio very often but at least you can try.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #33
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
Spent most of the season like this in the mid 80's. Yes, all the electricity was on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C P.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	36862  
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #34
Guru

Wow. I would not step into that water. Where was that??
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #35

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Never thought I wanted to walk on water, Now I am sure. Sure throws a puzzle in to the old adage water and electricity do not mix. seems they are mixing quite well. Odd, to say the least.
As to the original question as whether to impart the information of the power cord, I say share the information. You could be saving a life. I think I would at least leave a note as suggested if I did not know the captain or owner. How they receive the important information would be there choice. If some bad thing happened from the ignorance of an event that I witnessed I would share some of the grief. Follow your own instinct. Safety should be my first consideration. Good thread that touches what can be a sticky conversation. Thanks for posing this dilemma
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The attitude is simple. "It works fine". Most don't consider any other aspects. To them it either works or doesn't work. You can bet they maintain other things on their boat similarly.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There is the possibility the crew told the skipper and when they got back he flushed and sprayed the connection.

Could always invent something to say to see if that happened without being blunt.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #38
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I take the power cord with me, and would never leave it to any guest to disconnect that. However, in this situation, I think, if I had access to his finger, I'd just quietly go over and give the thing a quick fresh water wash, a squirt of CRC into the plug, and let it go. I don't think much harm would arise with such a quick dunk anyway, so no biggie.
I've done the same. It's not a big deal to take care of a situation immediately. Each month, on the first, I spray every plug with CRC -- not sure if it does any good but it certainly does no harm.

Personally, I'd want to know if something similar happened, either via a note on the cord or a conversation. Preferably both.

In my opinion.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #39

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Just curious if anybody is using the new SmartPlugs and what you think of them?
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:41 PM   #40

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
Smart Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Just curious if anybody is using the new SmartPlugs and what you think of them?
We converted to a Smart Plug a little over a year ago when our old shore power connector started showing some signs of heat. Installed it myself. So far it has been working great.
Like the positive locking features and the fact that there is a heat sensor built in. A nice little bonus is that our insurance company gives us a premium reduction for having the Smart Plug installed.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote