Average daily distance ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember when we chartered in the PNW that many vessels had Woods-Freeman APs with a handheld remote on a 12’ cord. The same with Ursa Major the wood Rhomsdal (sp?) trawler we rode from Sitka to Seattle. The captain was able to lean back in his chair and still have full steering control including rapid jog by button and course by rotary knob.

I had that setup on my Burger, with a 5 or 6 inch flatcard compass for headings. I never did use the remote though. It was a nice simple old school AP, but it did hunt around. Not as accurate as a modern electronic AP. I loved the electric drive on the chain sprocket, controlling my cable steering system.

Nice memories. Thanks

If I was cruising solo, I would tend to leave at sunup and make long days of it. With the sailboats I would often get up while the family slept and leave. They would get up a few hours later.

These days, my wife doesn’t like really long runs day after day. So I have to limit the time.

I would think that if you can steer a boat though places like this (Dismal Swamp) on AP... (which can be nothing more than remote helm control with better tracking than most can steer...or LOTs more)...not sure where you cant.

No one is saying to ignore lookout duty or be far from grabbing the wheel...but it sure makes helmsmanship less tedious.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
I would think that if you can steer a boat though places like this (Dismal Swamp) on AP... (which is really nothing more than remote helm control with better tracking than most can steer)...not sure where you cant.

No one is saying to ignore lookout duty or be far from grabbing the wheel...but it sure makes helmsmanship less tedious.

I use my autopilot almost every time I run the boat.
We named it "Abe" because he freed the slaves (to the helm).
Especially like it in the fog on open water (like going to Block I). Gives me the freedom to be a better lookout, watch the radar more, etc.

I did 2600 knm delivery run in 21 day. 98% of that was on AP. The entire run was plotted in Coastal Explorer and exported to my Raymarine eS series MFD. way point to way point.
All we had to do is enjoy the ride occasionally correct the course by pressing +1 or -1. Can I go for a day or days without AP, absolutely, but why? I am boating for pleasure nor for masochism. Airplane pilots use AP, car drivers use cruise control and now adaptive cruise control and soon AP of some kind. I am for technology and if some of you would like to remain "Viking" respectfully it is your choice.

Out of all the anti-AP proponents...this quote (and I admit it may be out of total context :) ) reigns supreme....

" I love being at the helm. I have spent 18 hours at the helm with someone passing me sandwiches, clean glasses, etc. And I love it. I have always been a marathoner because I love the rush of total control. If I didnt, I would book a Princess cruise. But not give up control to a stupid ROBOT. "

;)

Because, and this is an assumption, but I think I can bet safely that you have never cruised the Gulf Coast ICW for 35 days. The crossing of the Big Bend is probably the only stretch (2 days) where you could have used an AP because it is open water. The rest demands someone at the helm most of the time if only to open the bridges and locks.

I find it strange that people who normally can go into a bar far a few drinks and come out unscathed feel that is is perfectly OK to act like a boor when they are on the internet. If you acted that way in a bar you would be banged up pretty severely before long. At least in a Texas bar.

Boy you sure are touchy! All I did was politely ask why we should value the opinion of someone who has admitted that they have never used the equipment under discussion. If questioning someone who pontificates about what they admit they don’t know makes me a boor, what does that make you? A BORE?

Because, and this is an assumption, but I think I can bet safely that you have never cruised the Gulf Coast ICW for 35 days. The crossing of the Big Bend is probably the only stretch (2 days) where you could have used an AP because it is open water. The rest demands someone at the helm most of the time if only to open the bridges and locks.

I find it strange that people who normally can go into a bar far a few drinks and come out unscathed feel that is is perfectly OK to act like a boor when they are on the internet. If you acted that way in a bar you would be banged up pretty severely before long. At least in a Texas bar.

Wifey B: You're arguing all sorts of points but missing entirely the main point which is you don't have experience with AP's adequate to present educated opinions on them. You don't hear me telling someone how you should fly airplanes. :)

Your assumption that AP is only useful on open water is so ill-informed. As to your statement,The rest demands someone at the helm most of the time if only to open the bridges and locks. , no one has said no one should be at the helm. We always have someone there, AP or not. AP is not an excuse to leave the helm, but a tool to allow better watch, better management. You mention bridges and locks. Well a lot easier to call them when the AP is being used. :)

What the h, any of this has to do with going into a Texas bar is beyond me, but that must be where you're happiest or something. As to your childish implied threat that the poster would be beaten up in the bar, sounds like you're familiar with such violent behavior. I live in a world where we don't go around beating people up and we don't threaten to do so. :mad:

Oh and feel free to call me names too. You'd think at 82 you would have outgrown that.

I know you went to Houston, but did you go into a bar?

If you did, then you would DEFINITELY understand. :)

You lack of experience is showing. You appear to be under the misapprehension that the entire ICW is like the stretch in South Florida with bridges every few miles. It is not.

It is as if instead of having 60+ years of experience, you have had 1 years experience, 60 times. All that gives you is local knowledge. And apparently, an attitude.

BTW, I am currently crossing Ablemare Sound, a 15 mile run on the ICW on AP. Just as I have been for most of the trip north from Florida. Today we had one bridge opening in the past 5 hours......

Last edited:
You lack of experience is showing. You appear to be under the misapprehension that the entire ICW is like the stretch in South Florida with bridges every few miles. It is not.

It is as if instead of having 60+ years of experience, you have had 1 years experience, 60 times. All that gives you is local knowledge. And apparently, an attitude.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

"I remember when we chartered in the PNW that many vessels had Woods-Freeman APs with a handheld remote on a 12’ cord."

The good old days , an auto pilot that could usually be repaired on board!!!

Generally alone, I get underway at dawn. If coming up on a favorite spot... either an anchorage or yacht club, I may do as little as thirty-five miles. This at about seven knots. If distance is my objective, I'll run dawn to dusk in the waterway (assuming an anchorage is available). Or, with light offshore conditions, I may run well into the hours of darkness and go for a suitable offshore anchorage. My preference: the thirty-five mile days.

Just did 80 nm (11 hrs) today solo. Georgetown, ME to Newington, NH. Perfect conditions. A little tired.

Forty years ago I could do an 18-hour drive on the highways. Now, 3 to 4 hours is sufficient. Could do some more on the boat, able to move around in the pilothouse and using the autopilot.

Back
Top Bottom