The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bendit

Vessel Name
Pioneer
Vessel Make
Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Sorry it took so long but I finally took a fairly average shot with my iphone.

Pioneer is 53ftx13'7"x5' GRP hull with glass over ply decks and main cabin. The wheel-house is alloy. She was a 1980-vintage*Australian lobster boat and then a fishing boat before we converted her in 2004.

We moved the wheelhouse back 5 ft and built the main cabin on what was a flat work deck. Under the wheelhouse and forward are two double cabins and a head with separate shower. The dinette is in the wheel-house and converts to another double berth and the saloon with aft galley has two large settees which provide a further two berts if needed.**

Main engine*is a Cat 3406B rated at 540hp.* We usually cruise at 9.2kn*(1250 rpm) or fast cruise at 11.4 kn*(1600 rpm).**WOT is limited to 16.5 kn (2200rpm) by the*large wetted* area of the full length keel.

She's proven to be a great*coastal cruiser, with excellent sea-keeping.
Cheers,

Nice one Jeff. Now, take a few more pics, MMM (multimedia message), or bluetooth them to your computer, then add them to a post via the insert images tick box at the bottom of the advanced editor. We want to see inside, decks, wheelhouse.... the whole box and dice. Don't just tease us with the avatar.....

Thanks Peter, I'll get some more pics, with a camera this time, on the weekend.

For Peter and anybody else that's interested, here's some more pics. I forgot my camera so* couldn't shoot down below as the iphone lens is not wide enough...

Attachments

• pioneer pics 005.jpg
    pioneer pics 005.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 88
  • pioneer pics 008.jpg
    pioneer pics 008.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 78
  • pioneer pics 009.jpg
    pioneer pics 009.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 83
  • pioneer pics 012.jpg
    pioneer pics 012.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 79
  • pioneer pics 010.jpg
    pioneer pics 010.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 87
  • pioneer pics 015.jpg
    pioneer pics 015.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 76
  • pioneer pics 020.jpg
    pioneer pics 020.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 92
  • pioneer pics 018.jpg
    pioneer pics 018.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 89
  • pioneer pics 021.jpg
    pioneer pics 021.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 88
  • pioneer pics 022.jpg
    pioneer pics 022.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 83
Thanks Jack,
It's not easy to see, but there's a port side sliding door from the wheelhouse to the deck. Radios are overhead in a*cherry cabinet.

-- Edited by Bendit on Sunday 25th of July 2010 05:51:10 PM

Very nice! What's the material on the aft cockpit deck and swim platform?

Hi Chip,
It's Marinedeck 2000, a cork-based deck material made in The Netherlands. Cork chips compressed into a polyurethane binder, 9 x the density of natural cork. No maintenance required in the last 6 years. Back then it was a about 1/3 the cost of teak.

Badass!!!!

Thanks Jeff. Really nice boat. Businesslike, purposeful and yet beautiful, al'long same time. Yeah....love that helm set-up. Is that a Cruzpro chain-counter on the front of the main dashboard? I have a smaller round -faced one I picked up ex-factory in Henderson there in Auckland on a trip over 2 yrs ago. Easy to fit - works well, only issue I am having is getting the damn magnet ideally positioned. The supplied one was cylindrical, and mounted in a hole drilled thru the gypsy, bit is a bit weak, and mounting another bigger one on the outside is proving 'tricky.' The ratchet lock keeps knocking it off. Have you struck that problem?

Hi Peter,

Yes it is, but it's the round instrument* - same as yours. The square one is the Autopilot (TMQ*A55).*The square instrument above the DC switchboard is a Cruz Pro E-meter (VAH110). It's reading 200ah (24V).

I haven't had any problem with the magnet staying put - just drilled a hole (quite deep) in the web between the chain*"slots" and epoxied it in.

Mounting the sensors was more difficult and I cut a wedge from a rubber* V-shaped block from a*boat-trailer, drilled it for the sensors and screwed the whole thing into the deck. I have just replaced this as the UV had caused it to start falling apart.

Cheers,

-- Edited by Bendit on Monday 26th of July 2010 02:20:37 PM

-- Edited by Bendit on Monday 26th of July 2010 02:27:17 PM

Back
Top Bottom