Avalon Finally Launched!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avalon36

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Shannon Downeast 36
What a happy Day! Avalon is in the water and ready for the Antique and Classic Boat Festival in St. Michaels, MD next weekend. After a miserable and very disappointing year of dealing with Walter Schultz & Bill Ramos at Shannon Boat in Bristol in 2016, we had her transported to MD last year and had her finished by the excellent Trades at the Herrington Harbor North Yard in Tracy's Landing: Osprey Marine Composites, Phipps Boat Works and Chesapeake Marine Engineering.

Attachments

• Avalon 124.jpg
    Avalon 124.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Hey Avalon 36,

she looks a picture. I love the vessels you guy's have on the East coast!!!

Great work .

Chris D Liberty

Congrats and welcome more pics please!!!

It appears they did a great job of restoring your boat.

A VERY proper boat. Wonderfully low freeboard, proportions/balance .... can’t avoid say’in .... she’s perfect.

wow she has amazing lines... really graceful sheer line.
I have always had a soft spot for Downeast boats.

Have a great summer
HOLLYWOOD

Launch Follow Up

Thanks for the compliments! Glad other folks appreciate her lines as much as we do. We still have a bit of an issue with the engine wiring harness. The boys at Shannon got it all wrong so CME has pulled it and will trace every wire back to the proper pin. Once that project is completed, we'll get the cushions in and get her fitted out properly. I'll send more pics then.

Great lines indeed. What I like best is that you haven’t spoiled the look of the boat by adding an “oxygen tent” like so many people do.

Great lines indeed. What I like best is that you haven’t spoiled the look of the boat by adding an “oxygen tent” like so many people do.

Care to expound on that? Or translate? Lol

"With isoglass windows that wlll roll right down, incase there's a change in the weather."

With interior helm and navigator stations, we didn't see the need for an "oxygen tent" (love the analogy!). If the weather doesn't suite us, we'll just go below to be comfy. :)

With interior helm and navigator stations, we didn't see the need for an "oxygen tent" (love the analogy!). If the weather doesn't suite us, we'll just go below to be comfy. :)

It is inadequate to describe an interior helm and nav station without the appropriate photos. :socool: We're picture people here... :D

It is inadequate to describe an interior helm and nav station without the appropriate photos. :socool: We're picture people here... :D

Now that the heavy lifting is done, we are cleaning up and varnishing the floor boards. As soon as she is cleaned up and fitted out with her new upholstery and cushions, I'll be posting lots of pictures! :)

Now that the heavy lifting is done, we are cleaning up and varnishing the floor boards. As soon as she is cleaned up and fitted out with her new upholstery and cushions, I'll be posting lots of pictures! :)

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Wow a real beauty. I want one lol.

A couple of years ago I was in the Kenny Bunk port and spotted this vessel very similar to yours........ great lines. I was a long way from Home ( Australia) :thumb:But love that area in the States

Chris D Liberty

Attachments

• Kenny bunk Port.jpg
    Kenny bunk Port.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Kenny bunk port 2.jpg
    Kenny bunk port 2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 90
Alas, a boat is never 'complete'. It is a process.

Always it is 'almost'.

Enjoy your beautiful boat for many many years.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was in the Kenny Bunk port and spotted this vessel very similar to yours........ great lines. I was a long way from Home ( Australia) :thumb:But love that area in the States

Chris D Liberty

Could be a Nauset 36. Nauset did the layup on our boat and Shannon finished it.

You have a beautiful Nauset 36, based on the Royal Lowell designed Bruno 35, and as finished by Shannon, who are known for their well built boats (mostly sail).

I am noticing it thanks to your gallery coming by on the top scroll.

I would be interested in learning more of the story on the extensive core replacement you found you needed to do, particularly given the good reputations of both builders.

I would also love to see some pics of the insides of your boat as well.

Also, FWIW, the other boat noted above I believe is a Wilbur 38, another beauty.

Thanks, CptnPete. The primary cause of the wet hull and deck was the failure of Shannon to properly bed the the through hull and deck fittings. All the fittings on the starboard side, transom, flybridge deck and side decks allowed water to get in the core. Shannon sold us the boat as a hull up refit (which Shannon didn't complete)with a new boat warranty. Given their reputation, a survey didn't seem necessary. Wrong! When I got the boat down to MD, I discovered the true extent of the core damage. Interesting, there was a Shannon 53HPS getting a new bottom core due to bad through hull bedding and a Shannon 43 which had just had an incomplete Shannon refit.
I've attached a link to a Google Photos Album for your late night viewing enjoyment. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOCw6ABZkVzyUKUNxe9lsCugwf30odRhHIuXiMUPoSP8_wo0ugfhfSYYyjHaQ12cg?key=RnR2VDJLYWRmOUVPWC1GTFJFTThJRVdKR09URzBn[/IMG]

Thanks, not what one would expect from the Shannon folks. Glad you got it all fixed. I look forward to looking at the pics but am unable to make the link work by clicking nor cutting and pasting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom