Auxiliary coolers...Yeti, Pelican etc...>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Like most of us I have a relatively small Norcold Refridgerator... Fine for a few days out, but a bit cramped for more than several days. I looked into the high end coolers for back-up for Drinks, Wine, Misc. etc. Read the reviews, Looked at sizes and pricing. Decided on the 35 Qt. Pelican over the Widely praised Yeti. Better reviews, 2/3rds the price. Quality is stellar. Will serve as both seating and cocktail table functions on my boat. This thing is built like a tank. Solid latches and hardware. Bigger than expected, but the 7-10 day ice retention is likely worth it when we start to do some Week long cruising.
This is a REALLY nice piece of gear if you have a need...

20150528_170707-vi.jpg

20150528_170648-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I almost threw up when I saw how much some of those yetis cost. I ended up with an igloo marine elite with a snap on cushion. The reviews said the cushion would eventually fail at the snaps, but the cooler itself is pretty decent. It's a mortgage payment cheaper, though. Plenty good enough for how I'll use it.

Like most of us I have a relatively small Norcold Refridgerator... Fine for a few days out, but a bit cramped for more than several days. I looked into the high end coolers for back-up for Drinks, Wine, Misc. etc. Read the reviews, Looked at sizes and pricing. Decided on the 35 Qt. Pelican over the Widely praised Yeti. Better reviews, 2/3rds the price. Quality is stellar. Will serve as both seating and cocktail table functions on my boat. This thing is built like a tank. Solid latches and hardware. Bigger than expected, but the 7-10 day ice retention is likely worth it when we start to do some Week long cruising.
This is a REALLY nice piece of gear if you have a need...

20150528_170707-vi.jpg

20150528_170648-vi.jpg

Looks like you can fit 2 six packs in there! :hide:

Looks like you can fit 2 six packs in there! :hide:

Yeah, but they'll be cold for a week! Buy a Coleman with 1/2" insulation if you only need A DAY!

Last edited:
2 Six-packs lasting a week, lol :D

Not on any boat I know of.

Looks like you could keep a bunch of frozen meat for a long time however, add 3 lbs of dry ice and go a real long time.

Drink coolers are opened too often to keep cold for a long time.

The high end coolers are mostly for the avid amateur and professional fishing crowd, wher e the thing gets used almost constantly, stood on, kicked, hauled around and generally abused.

" but the 7-10 day ice retention is likely worth it when we start to do some Week long cruising."

I have a yeti and even with several days precooling and limited open/closing only get 4 days.... Please let us know how it does when you start using it. Thx.

Even the small ones seem heavy, empty, then add ice and some fish!

We bought a Yeti and used it last summer cruising up the ICW. Keeping ice for 4 days is a stretch with constant 90 deg days and the cooler sitting on the sun deck with a towel over it. We used it only to keep drinks cool and it did a satisfactory job. A bit overpriced IMHO.

As with almost all things boating, one person will find something useless while another cannot live without it.

I can see great value in the ops cooler. I would not use it for drinks, but put a block of ice (not a bag) and your frozen meat and you will probably keep your meat for a week or more. Block ice being the key. If block is not available just freeze some in milk jugs. We have a cheaper Igloo 7 day cooler and with block ice it is fine for 3 days using it for drinks.

One other option that is less expensive than Yeti is Engle. We've been using one for the past year and are very happy with it.

I have an Engel 40 qt. It will make ice or keep whatever you put in it cold indefinitely. The compressor runs about 5 minutes an hour drawing 3.5 amps. My solar panels more than keep up with it so I leave it on all the time. It is nice to have cold beverages waiting when I come aboard.

Back
Top Bottom